James Blunt

Please also select your country:

Confirm your location by clicking on the relevant flag above.

Do not show me this message again.

Home       Members    Calendar
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

12345»»»

Snow in the UK Expand / Collapse
Author
Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 02 March 2016 07:51
It's a well known fact that here in the UK we just can't cope with any large amounts of snow. We have today the most snow for 18 years, up to 25cm/10 inches. Most airports, trains and buses are not running, with more snow to come later today.
We was warned last week this bad weather was coming, but little was done about it. I didn't see a single gritting lorry out last night. I have see hundreds of cars stranded on the motorway via the tv news.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article2196092.ece

Any boardies living in countries that can cope with snow, let us know how you cope with this bad weather.
Post #94913
Posted 02 February 2009 10:23
Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

I rang my job at 9.30am and someone from another dept took the call to say no one that i work with has turned up for work. Don't feel so guilty about not arriving to work, looks like tomorrow could be another day off as well.
Post #94914
Posted 02 February 2009 11:03
Supreme Being

Last Login: 02 April 2013 19:27
I live at the very South-West tip of the UK near Penzance. When the rest of the country is knee deep in snow we usually have none. Apparently it's due to being surrounded by the sea.

Today we have had a bit of snow, enough so that my 4 year old can say he's actually seen it!! It's stopped again now and the sun is shining so I suppose we won't see anymore until 2015!

Although it's nice and, I suppose novel for us to experience it in this part of the UK I really wouldn't want to have it as bad as the rest of you. To be stranded in my car would be my worst nightmare.

About 20years ago we experienced snow on a huge scale, at the time I was living 8 miles from Lands End. Being only 17 I still couldn't drive and had to rely on public transport to get to work.

Because I worked 18 miles from home I decided to leave work early (because trains/buses can be quite unreliable down here) to ensure I could get home.

I managed to get as far as Penzance but no further. Fortunately I had relatives living in the town so I stayed there for 3 days until public transport was able to make it to the remote area where I lived.

Just that one experience was enough for me. I really don't think I deal with alot of snow every year. No Thanks.
Post #94915
Posted 02 February 2009 11:38

Supreme Being

Last Login: 16 March 2015 23:29
Welcome to Canada. You can learn to cope when it's on a daily/weekly basis.

I can certainly understand how you feel. About 4 years ago we had an overnight snowfall of 80 cm. It was 6 feet deep in the drifts in my driveway.

The main thing is be safe on the roads.
Post #94916
Posted 02 February 2009 11:51

Supreme Being

Last Login: 14 April 2018 12:54
WOW....this is incredible.....to think l was there and now look at it...covered in beautiful white snow....l have never seen snow...but to see Big Ben and the streets surrounding it covered in snow to me is amazing....wow what l would give to be there now and enjoy what might be a bit scarey but well worth the fun in making a snowman dont forget the carrot for his nose
Post #94917
Posted 02 February 2009 12:27
Supreme Being

Last Login: 05 July 2015 11:36
the main roads and motorways near me are fine, clear of snow and, as a bonus, traffic. I just couldn't get to said main roads and motorways this morning as I got stuck in my own bleedin street. Eventually got out and drove to Liverpool to find that the car park machine barrier thing was takin an eppy and saying it was full despite the stream of cars leaving. So got all the way to Liverpool in rubbish weather to be stuck a few hundred feet from my lecture. I swear the universe just likes to laugh at me!
Post #94918
Posted 02 February 2009 13:03

Supreme Being

Last Login: 22 January 2013 13:31
No gritters here either. I hate that transport grinds to halt when they even have a weather warning.

I believe Suffolk is very bad. except the couple taking a walk near the beach! idiots.

But its nice and fluffy snow here. I read the five day weather forecast if I get worried.

www.bbc.co.uk/weather

Trixie. In Canada do you have dogs? we have no-one to dig us out here!
Post #94919
Posted 02 February 2009 13:45
Supreme Being

It's now been snowing for over 24 hours and the forecast is for more heavy snow fall to come.
Post #94920
Posted 02 February 2009 14:39

Supreme Being

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 17:59
We actually got it in the South too, woohoo! Took ages to get to work this morning though, no gritters here either, tight council, they would have to put our council tax up AGAIN if they started gritting!! Had a great snowball fight at work though, he he, oh how it brings the child out in you! x
Post #94921
Posted 02 February 2009 14:50

Supreme Being

Last Login: 16 March 2015 23:29
So now you all have to go outside in the snow. Lie down in the and make like James in this week's caption contest photo. Wave your arms and legs up and down and make some angels (as I know you already are) in the snow.
Post #94922
Posted 02 February 2009 14:51

Supreme Being

Aaaww great idea Trixie, ok i'm on my way! x
Post #94923
Posted 02 February 2009 16:31
Supreme Being

One in five takes a Snow Day.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1132144/One-takes-Snow-Day-Now-massive-blizzard-set-strand-ones-DID-make-in.html

I got a phone call from my team manager a couple of hours ago, saying it chaos at Kingswood where i work, and only a few people out of nearly 1,500 got into to work, cars got stuck in the snow and had to be towed away. I was given an emergency phone number to ring tomorrow, but my manager said it's best not to go back to work until wednesday.
Post #94924
Posted 03 February 2009 13:11

Supreme Being

I read today that most of London was at a stand still yesterday?
Well done Camden!

I thought it was a bit sad though seeing a picture of the PM's pathway being cleared by one guy when a troop of Guards of honour were stood behind.
shocking..

I was impressed with the PM's new bodyguard the Major General. He looked like he would swot you with his sword if you approached!

And the lady practising to be the 1st woman to the Pole. (the snow wont last dear.. try an indoor ski centre).

My bus was accosted by youths yielding snowballs. f***wits. since when was it acceptable to throw snowballs at drivers of moving vehicles?
DVLA is crap. (DVLA=give us your money for a license and you wont hear from us again. unless you go through a red one).
Post #94925
Posted 03 February 2009 16:01
Supreme Being

Last Login: 02 April 2013 19:27
We've had a great day in the snow. The schools are closed so kids home all day (lovely). We were outside this at 8.45 this morning building a snowman which now stands at 5'high.

It's the 1st one my little boy has made. Unfortunatelt he became quite cold so he went inside to warm up and left Mummy making the snowman!!
Post #94926
Posted 03 February 2009 16:10
Supreme Being

I will be back to work tomorrow, but more snow is to come thursday and friday.
Post #94927
Posted 03 February 2009 23:02
Supreme Being

Last Login: 20 November 2014 21:03
Monday I returned from Suffolk to London.
The lady station person at Ipswich was wonderful, let me into the first class lounge where i was able to charge up my mobile battery, top it up, and meet a new kindred spirit. We sat on the floor of the crowded trian chatting all the way back to London.

At Liverpool Street at 3.00pm we were shocked at the mass hysteria being faced with what felt like a herd of Buffalo but was infact humans desperate to get home.

I love the sense of community that we form when the going gets tough.
Post #94928
Posted 03 February 2009 23:27

Supreme Being

Last Login: 30 March 2018 22:08
It's the small kindnesses that make big differences isn't it?

Sure all those folks at Liverpool Street weren't there to do another T Mobile video - the Buffalo stance LOL!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=VQ3d3KigPQM

the making of the video:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=uVFNM8f9WnI

"Music : a backstage pass to the soul"
Post #94929
Posted 04 February 2009 12:47

Supreme Being

Last Login: 14 April 2018 12:54
WOW.....how cool....altho l couldnt hear the goings on....it looked amazing watching the foyer become a ballroom of twists and strutts and diversity...l didnt know it was something rehearsed either...but how cool hey...wouldnt it be good if train stations were always full of this life..lol maybe more ppl would commute and save the enviroment a bit...lol

enjoyed watching it thanks noble..u always manage to bring a smile to my face
Post #94930
Posted 04 February 2009 14:47

Supreme Being

Oh i love that, i remember seeing it on telly, everyday should be like that in Britain, we are far too serious and stuffy x
Post #94931
Posted 04 February 2009 15:45
Supreme Being

Drove into work today what a nightmare, nearly had someone hit me after i reversed out of my drive. They come up the road so fast, see you than drive around you without stopping. I won't repeat what i said, but i did flash the driver. Then coming up to traffic lights, back end of car slid. When i got near to work, there is a hill which our company always grits for their staff, but they didn't do a very good job on this occasion. Plus a lorry was parked on the bend and when i tried to pass i got stuck in the snow causing a traffic jam behind. I put my car into second gear to move forward which is the best thing to do.
Coming home one road had a thick slab of ice in the middle of road, which you had to make sure you kept your wheels either side of. Talk about putting your driving skills to the test. More snow tomorrow and friday
Post #94932
Posted 04 February 2009 17:12
Supreme Being

Last Login: 19 December 2010 22:36
I live in Plymouth too! We have had hardly any snow, it's just like a normal week, but the second you go 5 miles out of the city centre, it's a blizzard! I swear their's some kind of fource field around the Plymouth that stops snow coming in. lol
Post #94933
Posted 04 February 2009 18:40

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 26 August 2010 22:58
So not only is Spain where this came a terrible winter here in Madrid has snowed three times when it never snows here. You know to enjoy with the snow but with care

kisses
Post #94934
Posted 04 February 2009 18:42

Supreme Being

Last Login: 22 February 2018 17:30
yeah, the video is soo great! Our sofa trembled because we can´t sit still LOL

Oh dear, LB. Hope you are okay.

thommy and ina
Post #94935
Posted 06 February 2009 10:27
Supreme Being

Last Login: 11 March 2014 17:48
Is it still snowing where you are? So much for weather forecasts, our weathermen have said "Rain, with a chance of it turning to snow" and so far we haven't seen any rain, it's snowed all night, luckily it wasn't too heavy, so now it's about a foot deep.

I went into town yesterday and it wasn't easy, there are so many people on the road who have no real experience of driving in snow, and you can't trust what anyone will do. There was an idiot with his foot hard down sliding all over the place, he had people trying to push as he tried to get out of the supermarket car park, I just got into 2nd gear, low revs, and drove by no problem, the guys pushing looked at me as if I was doing something miraculous.

Avoid brakes and accelerator, pull away in 2nd, and keep the momentum going, and anticipate having to stop using the gears to slow down, and if you hit anyone it wasn't your fault. LOL Insurance wise people staying off work may actually save themselves a lot of money, taking a chance and being involved in an accident that will probably be no fault of your own will see your premiums rise sharply, and of course you could get hurt.

I guess my county is like the rest, they don't invest in anything to do with snow clearance, in these days of council tax and spending money on office furniture, the chances of snow being a problem was minimal. So they cut back on salt and grit supplies, and the number of vehicles needed for this, and of course there was always going to be a time when it would snow.

There's more snow now than in 1982, but no high wind so we have been spared drifts, back then the snow became waist deep around my house, drifts were 2m high across some roads, and temperatures were a lot lower.

The last real winter we had was 1962/63, it began snowing on Christmas Eve, and stopped the country in it's tracks, it didn't snow much after, but it was so cold you could find birds frozen to the branches and the rivers froze over, and it was March before there was any real thaw.

http://www.sungreen.co.uk/Lydbrook/Wye-at-Stowfield.htm

We should have winters like Canada, but the Gulf Stream saves us, so next time you go for a swim in the sea in the UK don't complain that the waters cold, the truth is it's like a hot bath, we're very lucky. Europe and Scandinavia would be so different if the Gulf Stream ever stopped.
Post #94936
Posted 06 February 2009 13:07

Supreme Being

someone suggested a walking stick? I think they mean a Norwegian pole.
not a bad idea.
Post #94937
Posted 07 February 2009 00:22

Supreme Being

Last Login: 13 March 2015 20:24
How to cope with snow:

wear sensible boots, if walking
make sure your car has winter tires (it's actually the law in my province) - don't become a road hazard!
dress warmly
be patient
expect to be late, wherever you're going
enjoy it while it's still white
help the elderly, especially at crosswalks
respect the 'no parking' signs so that the snow plows can do their thing.

Post #94938
Posted 07 February 2009 05:47
Supreme Being

Last Login: 26 August 2010 22:56
We are supposed to be moving house today !!!!!

**** Shrugs shoulders ********
Post #94939
Posted 07 February 2009 08:44
Supreme Being

Good luck with the house move.
Had more snow in the south east last night, more snow to come. I'ts a worry about the lack grit in the UK, we need to import some asap.
Post #94940
Posted 07 February 2009 09:42

Supreme Being

Last Login: 29 March 2017 23:57
God luck with your house move Julie! Where you moving to?
Post #94941
Posted 07 February 2009 13:56

Supreme Being

Last Login: 13 March 2015 20:24
Winter is almost over.

We can now see the deer wandering around

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee41/pookeykat/misc/Spring.jpg

Post #94942
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

12345»»»

All times are GMT, Time now is 7:43pm