James Blunt

Please also select your country:

Confirm your location by clicking on the relevant flag above.

Do not show me this message again.

Home       Members    Calendar
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Paul Freeman Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 26 August 2010 22:58
From Billy - Paul Freeman is a guitar player who used to be in Blunty's band. He is now pursuing a solo music career of his own. Post news and discuss his music here!
Post #88146
Posted 02 December 2008 01:22
Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Last Login: 27 October 2011 21:34
I can't believe this is the only thread we have here on Paul Freeman.....I swore we had another here not too long ago. However, this is the only one showing up on a 'search', therefore.....

Posting a new video for his song, Earthquakes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q22K_nOTdy8
Post #88147
Posted 02 December 2008 01:25

Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Last Login: 16 March 2015 23:29
What a beautiful song, Gena!! Thank you for posting.
Post #88148
Posted 02 December 2008 13:05
Supreme Being

Last Login: 02 March 2016 07:51
There is already another topic Paul.
Post #88149
Posted 02 December 2008 15:50
Supreme Being

lady blunt.....could you find it and post it here so we can use that one instead? I searched and wasn't able to find one.

Thanks!
Post #88150
Posted 02 December 2008 16:03

Supreme Being

I couldn't find one either but this is the one from the old boards.

http://www.jamesblunt.com/cgi-bin/teemz/teemz.cgi?board=_master&action=opentopic&topic=1038&forum=Miscellaneous
Post #88151
Posted 02 December 2008 16:07
Supreme Being

I had a blonde moment, there is only one topic, sorry.
Post #88152
Posted 02 December 2008 16:14

Supreme Being

Nothing to be sorry about, LB! I know his name has come up in other threads.
Post #88153
Posted 18 September 2009 15:53
Supreme Being

new video for That's how it is....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74Lk_C0w9Q4&feature=player_embedded
Post #88154
Posted 13 April 2012 03:42

Supreme Being

Last Login: Yesterday @ 22:28
This thread is overdue for a little bump.

Paul Freeman will be performing next week in the UK.

List of upcoming concerts:
http://www.paulfreemanmusic.com/shows

Paul will be support act for Philip Sayce and Chris Cornell.

And finally a good news, his song 'Tightrope' has been added to Radio 2 playlist.

Post #212726
Posted 15 April 2012 14:58
Supreme Being

I heard Paul song played on Terry Wogan radio show today. Radio 2 play list. C list

Info about Paul

http://bbc.co.uk/music/artists/cb1c1224-8de7-44f9-b173-1942d4a4a0bc
Post #212795
Posted 15 April 2012 17:58

Supreme Being

Thanks LB. It seems that Radio 2 is keen to give Paul some airplay which is fantastic. I wish him all the best because he's so good, it's a shame that he's not known better.

Posted on his Facebook page:
Thanks to Terry Wogan for the kind words this morning and for playing the single.. it's out on May 7th, with another 3 new songs too..!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01fqb3z/Weekend_Wogan_15_04_2012/

And on his Twitter page (@pfreemanmusic):

Just Heard myself on the Graham Norton show today very very cool and apparently Terry Wogan is playing it tomorrow..!!!

Found out today I got added on the Radio 2 playlist..!! I'm also playing at the Borderline on Monday the 16th if anyone Fancies it.!!

If you go on his official website, you can get a free download of the song "Well, Well".
http://www.paulfreemanmusic.com/

Post #212810
Posted 17 April 2012 17:31

Supreme Being

Paul Freeman will be performing tonight in Sheffield, UK. He will be supporting Philip Sayce, but in my opinion and although I don't know Philip Sayce, it could be the other way around. Paul seems to be the exact opposite of all the X-factors of this world.

http://www.the-plug.com/events-and-tickets/live/philip-sayce

Tue 17th Apr 2012

Philip Sayce

Paul Freeman

Doors: 7:00 pm / Price: £12.50 / Booking fee: £1.00 / Age: 14+

Guitarist/vocalist Sayce was born in Aberystwyth, Wales, and grew up in Toronto, Canada. His musical journey of exploration and endeavour has put him amongst the cream of the latest generation of artists reshaping and re-energising the blues and creating music that, at its best, is as exciting, as soulful and as moving as you'll find anywhere.

Support from Paul Freeman

In an era of airbrushed Brit School/X Factor graduates attaining fame and fortune by the age of 18, only to find themselves washed up and forgotten by 21, it's a relief to come across a "new" artist with proper experience behind him, a little history, both a backbone and a backstory. The quotation marks are necessary here, because Paul Freeman, though to all intents and purposes a “new” artist, is a musician whose decade in the music business to date informs, enriches and emboldens his debut album Last Man Standing, which will be released next year, to such effect that it's difficult to believe it isn't his fifth, his sixth. Its first single, The Girl Who Broke In Two, a sweetly beautiful ballad, is clearly the work of someone who knows what magic a song, when done rightly, can spin.

Paul’s songs are impeccably crafted, both rich and well-rounded. As with the music of his favourite artists - Bruce Springsteen, Tom Petty - you listen to them with the knowledge that here is someone who has, in the very best sense, lived. He's been through the mill, had highs and lows, and come out the other side. That he brings it all to bear in such an understated fashion is testament to his talent. You don't need to shout to be heard, after all.

"It was clear to me from the age of 14 that music was all I wanted to do," he says. "I was willing to risk everything to follow my dream, and I suppose, in one way or another, I have."

If only all new artists could claim the same.

Paul Freeman was born in Newport, South Wales, at the height of the New Romantic era. But Spandau Ballet and their ilk was to have little bearing on his music-loving father, and so it failed to leave much of an imprint on him, either.

"My father was a music fanatic," Paul says. "He named me after Paul McCartney, he rocked me to sleep to the tune of Band On The Run. The music he listened to was pretty much the music I listened to throughout my formative years…"

It wasn't until the 90s, specifically 1994, that Paul happened upon a band that suddenly spoke personally to him. That band was Oasis, the album Definitely Maybe.

"It was the first time, I think, I could really see the link between my father's favourite music and something that was specifically relevant to me too," he notes. It was the track Rock 'n' Roll Star that affected him the most. “I played it over and over again, and suddenly it was all clear to me - like, okay, this is what I'm going to do with the rest of my life."

Being what he calls "hopeless" at school only made his unswerving ambition so much easier to pursue. He emerged at 16 with just one GCSE to his name - woodwork, useful in a flood - and promptly took the next bus to London, ambitious and opportunistic and unwilling to let any half chance pass him by. A sort of friend of a vague associate knew somebody who had a recording studio just outside the capital. Paul shored up and quickly inveigled himself there, bagging a period of work experience which was soon extended indefinitely. He never really left. It was here, in time, that he fell in with Jeff Barrett, Heavenly supremo, who took him under his wing. As a result, even before his 18th birthday, Paul was moving within some of the most intimate, and influential, circles in the music industry.

By 20, he and a friend, Findlay Brown, had formed a group, Boedekka, a band that had started out as a kind of modern day Simon & Garfunkel, but that soon turned into something louder, heavier and more psychedelic. They signed to Boy George's More Protein label, and were steadily going places when Paul's songwriting reputation began to precede him. After three years of working with Brown, he suddenly found himself penning songs for a post-Take That, pre-comeback Mark Owen.

"It was a fascinating period for him," Paul says. "Back then, Mark was trying to reinvent himself, and make an individual statement."

They wrote a couple of Top 20 hits together, as well as hatching ideas that Owen would later see to fruition on Take That's The Circus album. By now, Paul had relocated to Los Angeles, where he played guitar with Shania Twain and later James Blunt, the latter requesting his services on a song of his called You’re Beautiful.

"That kept me in rent money for several years…you can have your own opinion about his music - everybody does! - but James is a lovely, lovely human being."

Paul was also at work on a selection of his own songs, which he eventually self-released as an EP. For something that didn't have the weight of a major record label marketing team behind it, the EP nevertheless went out far into the world and proved a steady seller, a regular on the US iTunes chart, and eventually topping an impressive 60,000 sales. One of its songs then featured on an American TV series, which brought Paul to the attention of legendary record industry mogul Clive Davis, who promptly signed him to BMG in early 2009. When Clive Davis promptly exited BMG a year later, Paul was released from his contract, the master tapes in his possession, and was now able to start afresh. "A major relief," he says.

He was immediately proactive, sacking his manager in favour of self-management, and heading out on a succession of US tours, opening for the likes of Los Lobos, Brandi Carlile, Todd Rundgren and Joe Cocker. He also toured Southeast Asia - Vietnam, Malaysia - and then returned home, to Santa Monica, to regular games of golf and weeknight football fixtures, and ended up knocking a few balls around with fellow Brit Robbie Williams, who he became friends with. Life was good.

But momentum for his music was building, and Paul began to crave a return home. Earlier this year, he signed to Universal Estupendo Records in the UK ("to make the album I always wanted to make"), and last month was handpicked to support Roger Daltrey on his British tour.

Inspired not just by Springsteen and Petty, but also Elton John and Elbow - any act, he says, immune to fashion and trend but rather true to honesty and integrity - Paul's overriding goal has always been a simple one.

"I've written all sorts of songs and with all sorts of people, but what I come back to time and again is classic songwriting, and classic songs. Ultimately, I'd love to write a song that lives longer than I do. One would do but," he concludes, laughing, "preferably more."

An apprenticed newcomer, a 29-year-old veteran, Paul Freeman, solo artist, has arrived. Not belatedly, but at just the right time. Now.

Post #212875
Posted 30 July 2012 02:32

Supreme Being

If you don't know Paul Freeman, here's a good start with this interview.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMYOn26B7QY&sns=em

Can't wait to see him in Montreal, hopefully this autumn.
Post #216898
Posted 20 December 2012 03:35

Supreme Being

Someone has taken the lead to create different tools to spread the word about Paul Freeman and his music. Very good idea! By the way, I like a lot more the term "street team" than fan club although the goal is the same.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PaulFreemanStreetTeam
Twitter: @PaulFreeman_ST
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/paul-freeman-street-team
You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/PaulFreemanStreetTm

About
Welcome to The Official Paul Freeman Street Team. Our goal is to spread the word about Paul Freeman and his music, give you exclusive updates & footage and create a fan-based Paul Freeman community with your help!

Description
A street team is a group of fans brought together to help promote an artist. Street team members help the artists by bringing friends to shows, convincing others to buy the artists' music and merchandise, contacting radio stations and requesting the artists and more!

Post #224435
Posted 20 December 2012 21:19

Supreme Being

Last Login: 29 March 2017 23:57
Thanks for the info jbfan132. Great to see Paul has a street team!
Post #224478
Posted 21 December 2012 23:34

Supreme Being

Last Login: 30 March 2018 22:08
Street-teaming's a great idea - and fun and enjoyable to get involved in. You really feel like you're giving something back.

A couple of ex-boardies were street teaming for a certain artist and asked me to look after the clipboards for a while - and I ended signing the slightly tipsy singer upto his on mailing list!

Unfortunately he wasn't that inebriated and quickly realised he'd put his real contact details down - so scribbled them out

*drats*

And, no, we're not talking about JB

"Music : a backstage pass to the soul"
Post #224525
Posted 25 January 2013 10:16
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: 26 February 2013 15:46
Thanks for the heads up Aline!! I was going to post about Paul's street team, but you already did

Here's a free download of a Paul's song 'Blessed or Blind':
https://soundcloud.com/paul-freeman-street-team/paul-freeman-blessed-or-blind

This is a video Paul made for the street team:

And this is a live performance of Paul's song The Promise. Robbie Williams decided to cover this song on his latest EP, even before Paul got the chance to put it on his debut album

Enjoy!
Post #225910
Posted 26 February 2013 22:14

Supreme Being

Two very good articles on Paul Freeman. I highlighted an excerpt in each one.

http://amusicblogyea.com/2013/02/22/gimme-your-answers-an-interview-w-paul-freeman/

AMBY: What is the funniest thing to happen to you at one of your gigs?

Paul Freeman: At the end of my recent tour with Chris Isaak halfway through the 2nd song I had planned a stop. I was using this to try and get the crowd to cheer louder and louder, then all of a sudden they went mental. So I’m standing there feeling pretty great about myself thinking I had them in the palm of my hand. I turn round and Chris Isaak and the band are standing there in full on stage outfits about to present me with a bottle of whiskey. It was a really touching and humbling moment and definitely one I’ll never forget. Of course I shared the whiskey with the band afterwards. Either that or dressing up as Santa Clause to surprise James Blunt on stage, he was very confused!!

http://fruitbatwalton.blogspot.ca/2013/02/paul-freeman_26.html?spref=tw

That brings us full circle to now, with Paul's album release imminent and his assault on the UK music scene about to start, perhaps he may be considered a 'new' artist but he's got the pedigree of a seasoned professional. At the moment there are no gigs announced, however as soon as I know you will!

Post #227094
Posted 11 August 2013 17:36

Supreme Being

Paul has released his new EP "Passing Phase" on iTunes on August 5th. Bought it, listened to it, loved it!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Paul-Freeman/30888485961

Post #234133
Posted 12 August 2013 16:18

Supreme Being

Last Login: 30 March 2018 22:08
I think The Promise was what he closed his set with first time I saw him. Beautiful.

"Music : a backstage pass to the soul"
Post #234208
Posted 21 August 2014 03:41

Supreme Being

Saturday Aug 16th, Paul Freeman was our guest at KXRadio. He served us two songs live and the famous jingle assignment. He played Tightrope and Wiskey Hurricane (new song!)

Besides that Paul is a great poet and storyteller. He told us about his experiences by playing in bands of James Blunt, Mark Owen and Roger Daltrey's The Who. That last one combines a great anecdote with a Rockin' Rolling Stone.

When Paul was performing with Roger Daltrey, at the Royal Albert Hall London, suddenly Ronnie Wood enters the stage to play along with Baba O'Riley... check out what happened.

https://soundcloud.com/kx-radio-ekxpresso/paul-freeman-compilation-live

Paul says a few words about James at 1min33 but I strongly recommend to listen to the whole interview and performance.

Post #255132
Posted 23 September 2014 12:27
Supreme Being

Last Login: 11 March 2015 02:06
Paul Freeman is playing a last minute gig for all you London guys. It's at the Monarch in Chalk Farm Road, Camden from 7.30pm this Thursday 25th September. NOT to be missed!

Post Attachments 
10712853_10152805736755962_8920136078131818734_n.jpg (4 views, 65.63 KB)
Post #256897
Posted 23 September 2014 15:19

Supreme Being

Another good news after the last minute London gig, a second one added:

From Paul Freeman FB page:
I have just been added to the line up of the Twisterella festival in Middlesbrough - North Yorkshire on Saturday 11th October.

More information and tickets here: http://www.twisterella.co.uk/

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t31.0-8/1090955_10152806844050962_2261073090587450520_o.jpg

Post #256905
Posted 03 May 2016 20:51

Supreme Being

Paul Freeman - Heroes

https://vimeo.com/104697202

Post #276179
Posted 06 September 2016 19:09

Supreme Being

Paul Freeman tied the knot with American actress Erin Cahill on Saturday, September 3rd in France. Almost exactly 2 years after James.

You can follow Paul on his new Facebook page called "The 100 Year War", his new musical project.

https://www.facebook.com/the100yrwar

https://www.facebook.com/the100yrwar/photos/a.517655821735876.1073741828.517075365127255/656835404484583/?type=3&theater

This weekend marked the happiest moment of my life. I married my dream girl, best friend and true life inspiration. We were surrounded by our close family and some of our best friends. Thank you to everyone that made it there for making it so magical and those who couldn't please know you were felt and missed! #Freehills #frenchwedding #startoftherestofourlives #chateaugermaine

https://twitter.com/ErinJ_Cahill/status/773049351719354368

Post #277511
Posted 01 June 2018 15:03

Supreme Being

Latest video for his new single 'Closer Still'. Paul and his wife are featured in this video and they wore their real wedding clothes. It's beautiful to see such happy people.

https://youtu.be/VGerEgVxMo8
Post #286121
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

All times are GMT, Time now is 2:55pm