James Blunt

Please also select your country:

Confirm your location by clicking on the relevant flag above.

Do not show me this message again.

Home       Members    Calendar
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Computer and internet problems Expand / Collapse
Author
Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 02 March 2016 07:51
If anyone has computer or internet problems, post them here and maybe someone can help.

I have a problem while i'm on the internet, it's so slow. I have microsoft internet explorer 6, should i download explorer 7, with the hope it might be alot faster. Does anyone use microsoft internet explorer 7 and does it work better than explorer 6?
Post #78887
Posted 08 February 2008 20:48
Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Last Login: 26 August 2010 22:54
There could be lots of reasons why your computer is running slow. I find Firefox far quicker and safer than IE. If I were you I would check what programs are running at start up. Click on start - run- then type in msconfig. Click on the start up tab and you will see all the programs that are running everytime you start up your pc. Unclick all those that you don't need to have running at the start up, it is all reversable so you can't do much damage. Make sure you have all the windows components ticked but untick any software that you don't need. e.g I had Kodak software running everytime I started my pc which slowed it down. As I don't use the kodak software very often I didn't need it to be started up everytime. Now I just click on kodak when I want to use it and it starts up then.
Run your virus sortware regularly and keep it updated. I also use Spybot search and destroy from Safer Networking. Its a free spyware program that gets rid of any crap on your pc. Also you need to do a disk defragmenter occasionally, this speeds up your pc.
Post #78888
Posted 08 February 2008 21:03

Supreme Being

Last Login: 31 December 2014 01:38
I can recommend Firefox too! Have been using it for more than a year now and can't complain about it.
Post #78889
Posted 09 February 2008 11:00

Supreme Being

Last Login: 29 March 2017 16:20
ever considered checking your cookies and deleting them? or perhaps the amount of space you allow for history to be stored on your comp or cache/temp files?

I downloaded ccleaner from the net and use that regularly to clean out my comp.. my record cleaning is 1812 temporary files/trash with in total more than 1G space after 3 weeks noncleaning....

for easy cleaning up without ccleaner, just go to the tools menu in the internet page, click on internet options and delete cookies and temp files in the browser history menu
Post #78890
Posted 09 February 2008 15:43
Supreme Being

Last Login: 26 August 2010 22:57
LB how old is tyour computer and how much stuff do you have save in your hard drive?
Post #78891
Posted 09 February 2008 15:58
Supreme Being

My computer is about 6 years old and when i did a scan i have just over 59,000 files. I delete my cookies and internet files and history every time i leave the internet.
Post #78892
Posted 09 February 2008 16:17
Supreme Being

I am not a pro in this but I know a little. You my have too much info in you computer. Things like lots of program can also slow down your puter. I have an external hard drive (I paid $150 but you can get them cheaper) I save all my docs there. For 2 reasons Reason 1 if my computer crashes I still have my doc. Reason 2 is not to take up space on my hard drive.
LB, do you have lots of music on your hard drive (or photos and things of that nature)?
Post #78893
Posted 09 February 2008 16:20

Supreme Being

Last Login: 21 July 2013 20:15
I too use firefox and would recommend it
Post #78894
Posted 09 February 2008 16:21
Supreme Being

I have no music saved on my computer only 26 screen pictures. with i use for my desk top.
Post #78895
Posted 09 February 2008 16:38
Supreme Being

I don't think that is the problem. Have your ever defraging (defragmenter) you computer (it's under start/all program/accessories / system tools / disk defrag.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_Defragmenter_(Windows)

That takes a long time and don't stop it. It is just putting things that are us together closer. That was the way it was explain to me. I also know that computer rechnology changes everyday as far as programs and online line stuff also takes up space. every time up update somthing it takes up room in your puter. 6 years is a long time for a computer unless you know your stuff. I buy a new computer every 3 years.
You should also have disk clean up. It is also found in the sane place as disk defrg. for more info go to

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_Cleanup

I do that once a year as well.

I hope it was help you.
Post #78896
Posted 09 February 2008 17:05
Supreme Being

I did use the disk defragmenter for the first time yesterday but after 50% complete, i stopped it. I just went into it now and click on analyz, the message said, analysis is complete for (c) you do not need to defragment this volume.
I'm still using the old version of internet explorer 6, there is a new version 7, i was hoping someone else here use this versions, so they could let me know if it better to use and faster on the internet.
I'm also having problems with internet connection as well. Sometimes when i switch the computer on, i have no internet connection and have to switch the cable box which connects to the TV and computer off for a few seconds and then internet starts working ok. I have phoned my internet providers about this and had my IP address on my computer changed. But i still have the same problem nearly everyday.
If i can't get my problem sorted out in the next few weeks, i shall speak to someone at a computer shop for some advice. I got a feeling it's going to cost me alot of money to sort out.
Post #78897
Posted 09 February 2008 17:33

Supreme Being

the problem is certainly not how much you have stored on your harddrive. That is merely a library with books/files.

Compare your harddrive to a library building. It doesnt matter how many files you have in the library, for that doesnt block the paths you walk along the bookshelves.

What matters more is how long it takes to find the file/book you are looking for.. in other words.. the catalog. Using disk defrag, your computer more or less restacks the books on the shelves, without changing the pathname in the catalog. It makes sure there are no empty spots on the shelves.

Searching files, the computer just walks along the paths, just like you would walk along the shelves when books were stacked on the shelves in alphabetical order. Where you would just skip the empty shelves, the computer however would 'check' those empty spots as well before going to the next spot.

From experience, I have little faith in the defragmentation options windows itself offers, I simply use norton systemworks for that.

Also, I dont rely on the internet options menu from explorer only... I use ccleaner as well, for that one also removes spyware and other trash.

and as far as I know, spybot should do the same
Post #78898
Posted 09 February 2008 18:21

Supreme Being

Last Login: 29 April 2011 23:12
Spybot use to be a good little program, but it only finds software that's been downloaded into your temporary internet folder - anything downloaded else where isn't found by Spybot. So, if you just clear out your Temp, and Temporary Internet Folder you don't need Spybot.

If you're computer is only appearing to be slow whilst you're online then it could be a poor internet connection and nothing wrong with your computer at all. I don't know what internet provider you have but I've had a couple over the years and I'm currently using Sky broadband which I'm happy with. My last internet provider (and worst service I've ever had!) was NTL/Virgin (or whatever they want to call themselves nowdays!), my internet was always cutting off and their customer service is a joke! We were forever phoning them up and spending ages on the phone to them and getting our modem reset. Nightmare!

Slowness could be down to a number of things really, your computer may just need a bit of a clean up (deleting the contents in the Temp, Temporary Internet (including cookies), and History folders) also a defrag, as well as a Registry clean/fix, can help too.

Slowness could be a sign of unwanted software on your computer. As IMSFAJ says above, check to see what you have running on your computer, you may find your problem is a number of programs all running when they shouldn't be and that would be slowing you down, or you may find something you didn't even install like a virus or spyware. I'd recommend a deep virus scan every so often anyway, just to make sure there's nothing hiding on your drives. Depending on your anti-virus software you should be able to do most scans & methods of clean-ups from there.

Slowness can also be down to your computer's memory. The more memory you have, the faster your computer will be, and often enough older pcs have less memory. If you right click on 'My Computer' then go to 'System Properties' under the heading 'Computer' (on the 'General' tab) you'll see what processor you have and how much memory (RAM).

As for internet explorer 6. I'm still using 6 with no problems at all. I've got Internet Explorer 7 on the laptop and it's more of a change in design than in actual performance. So unless you really want to update, I personally don't think it's a must. :o)
Post #78899
Posted 09 February 2008 18:53
Supreme Being

Cherry_77

My internet provider is NTL/Virgin, and your right the customer service is not very good. Every time i ring them up, i end up speaking to someone with an indian accent and i can never understand what they are saying. Plus the problem is never solved. The call to customer service is 25p a minute, i was told i wouldn't be charged because of the problems i have been having. It will be interesting to see if these phone charges appear on the phone bill, if it does i shall complain.
Post #78900
Posted 09 February 2008 19:46

Supreme Being

I would never recommend NTL/Virgin to anyone. We had problems with their service countless amount of times (slow internet, even loss of internet for hours and hours at a time - to which they would respond with "there is a fault in your area, and we are working on it" or they'd try and blame the fault on your PC), then when they switched all their call centres to India it just got too much because their customer service is a nightmare. We had problems understanding their accents too, and they didn't seem to be at all computer literate, we would spend ages on the phone to them and not get anywhere. I'm sure they just have a sheet of paper in front of them with what to say and no matter what your problem is they just read off that paper. It just became a nightmare for us and we switched to Sky broadband early last year and thankfully all has been ok so far.

Have you had your modem reset? Sometimes they mess about with something their end and it causes the modem to crash, which means you loose your internet connection, and your modem needs to be reset (which is something they do from their end). Whenever we lost internet in the earlier days we'd phone customer services up and the guy would simply reset our modem and all we'd have to do is restart the computer and all was good again... until the next time that is! ;o) ....But then the customer services transferred to India and resetting modems don't seem to be on that piece of paper of theirs, they just want you to type in IP config into your 'run' commands, tell them what it says, turn your pc on & off, and a whole lot of other crazy things that get you no where! lol

Definitely make sure they don't charge you for those calls because it wouldn't surprise me if they do!
Good luck with your NTL/Virgin! :o)
Post #78901
Posted 15 February 2008 16:54
Supreme Being

Good news i wasn't charged for the calls about my computer problems. I rang general enquiries and spoke to someone in the UK. I explain my connection problem and was told a cable modem can be connected to my computer free of charge. It should make my internet connection alot better, fingers crossed.
Post #78902
Posted 15 February 2008 16:57

Supreme Being

Yay! Fingers, toes and cherry stem crossed for you! Hope that sorts out your slow internet problem Lady B. :o)
Post #78903
Posted 15 February 2008 17:21
Supreme Being

i was told to go to tools then internet options then delete cookies.you also need to do updates now that i am not to sure about.i have huge problems rembering my passwords.
Post #78904
Posted 17 February 2008 05:15

Supreme Being

lol@carmelc take pen and paper... and write down all the stuff you have passwords for. usually, websites that require for a username and password, have a return policy on forgotten passwords. you enter your mail adress in their box, click the 'please send me my password/username' link and check your mailbox.

windows xp and vista too I think have an option in deleting cookies and such that lets you pick what to delete and to keep your passwords stored on your comp.

but with mail and pen/paper, you can make a good backup of all your passwords and usernames...;-)
Post #78905
Posted 20 February 2008 20:15

Supreme Being

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 17:59
Ok, i have had this problem now for a couple of weeks. It's every time i E-mail just one certain address, i've E-mailed them many times before with no problems, i get the mail returned, and it says: Each of the following recipients was rejected by a remote mail server, reason: spam source blocked. Now , that all might as well be in chinese for me
I can receive mail from her but it returns my mail to her. I have asked somebody else to E-mail her for me and she has E-mailed me back to say she has checked her end and she hasn't blocked me. So the problem must be my end. Can anyone help please? x
Post #78906
Posted 20 February 2008 21:34

Supreme Being

I would certainly bet the problem is your friends end. If you're receiving her mails and everyone else's mails ok AND she's the only email address you're having trouble with, then it's unlikely to be your end.

The mail you are getting back simply says that it couldn't deliver your mail to her because she has an email filter on filtering spam. Now this may not be something she's aware of because severs such as AOL for example have an automatic filter in place that is put there to try and prevent spam finding it's way to their customers.
In fact, I've had problems sending emails from Hotmail to AOL before because AOL blocks alot of hotmail domains. The only way around that was to either create a new email account else where or mail my friend at her other (non-AOL) email account.

I'd suggest trying another email account from a different provider. See if that works :o)
Post #78907
Posted 21 February 2008 01:02

Supreme Being

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 17:59
Ok cherry, thanks a lot, i will look into it xx
Post #78908
Posted 22 February 2008 15:33
Supreme Being

Cherry_77
I had a cable modem fitted today for my internet connection. You never guess who arrived to fix the problem a indian guy. Maybe he came all the way from the call centre in india. lol
So far everything is working OK, i haven't lost my internet connection's and the boardband is alot faster. If i go a week and everything is working fine, i shall do a happy dance around my bedroom.

Thanks for your help and the other boardies too.
Post #78909
Posted 22 February 2008 15:57

Supreme Being

lol! Wouldn't surprise me if the guy had come all the way from the call centre in India - anything for more cheap labour! ...But at least this guy seemed to know what a modem was, or else you may have ended up with a toaster plugged into your computer! ;o)

Glad your new modem is working out ok for you so far, hope that sorts out your slow internet problems Lady Blunt. :o)
Post #78910
Posted 27 September 2008 23:36

Supreme Being

Last Login: 16 March 2015 23:29
Has anybody had problems with the adware called Mirar and got stuck with its toolbar? You cannot uninstall or delete it and Spybot could not get rid of it.

Any suggestions as to what I should do?
Post #78911
Posted 28 September 2008 14:14

Supreme Being

Last Login: 25 November 2010 19:40
Trixie, you could try using "Ad-Aware" from Lavasoft, or "AVG" .. both are free to download and use. If you do a google search for them, you should be able to find sites to download them from
Post #78912
Posted 28 September 2008 14:48

Supreme Being

Last Login: 23 June 2017 13:20
Another good anti-spyware tool is Spybot 'search and destroy'...

http://www.safer-networking.org/index2.html

Make sure also you keep your virus definitions file updated too and do a virus scan.

You might also need a registry cleaner to get rid of it fully. Something like CC Cleaner...

http://www.ccleaner.com/

Hope you get rid of it!
Post #78913
Posted 28 September 2008 14:50

Supreme Being

Last Login: 23 June 2017 13:20
LOL I'm not with it! I didnt see you've tried Spybot already...Im sorry
Post #78914
Posted 28 September 2008 15:16

Supreme Being

Last Login: 16 March 2015 23:29
Thank you for suggestions!

I routinely use AVG and Spybot but at this time they were of no use. I ended up finally purchasing PC Tools Spyware Doctor which worked. Apparently this is a nasty virus/spyware and difficult to get rid of. It's been around for a while and keeps reinventing itself, attaching to filesharing programs or masking as routine Explorer updates.

As a police sargent used to say to his officers "Be careful out there."
Post #78915
Posted 01 December 2008 17:09
Supreme Being

I notice that every time i go into anyone's myspace my computer stops working, i can't move the scroll bar. The only thing i can do is go into task manager, end task, end now. I never had this problem in the past, so why now. Has anyone else had the same problem?
Post #78916
Prev Topic | Next Topic

All times are GMT, Time now is 7:20pm