James Blunt

Please also select your country:

Confirm your location by clicking on the relevant flag above.

Do not show me this message again.

Home       Members    Calendar
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

John Garrison Expand / Collapse
Author
Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 02 March 2016 07:51
I have only just realize Malcolm is leaving the band and John Garrison is replacing him. Strange that there has been no announcement or did i miss it.
This info is from John's blog. 16/12/2007
I am going on tour starting January playing bass for James Blunt. i'm really excited about it and had my first rehearsal with the band here in New York last week. It really is a great band and a wonderful bunch of guys. We had a great laugh the few days they were here and i personally can't wait for the tour to start and am so chuffed to be a part of the team.

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=82484211&blogID=338715941
Post #75136
Posted 01 January 2008 20:54
Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Last Login: 05 July 2015 11:36
i only found out yesterday....a tad peeved that we didn't get an announcement here and am gutted Malc is leaving but hey ho
Post #75137
Posted 01 January 2008 21:01

Supreme Being

Last Login: 25 November 2010 19:40
There hasn't been any "official" announcement from the James Blunt camp about Malc (I don't recall there being one when Paul Freeman left either) ... but Malc did post it on his myspace site quite a while ago, and a number of people have left messages on the "messages for Malcolm" thread here on the General section. He's always been a very quiet and private person and perhaps he wanted to go with no fuss being made?

Good luck to John though ... I know the guys will make him feel very welcome, as I'm sure all us fans will too
Post #75138
Posted 01 January 2008 21:02

Supreme Being

Last Login: 18 November 2017 16:16
Apparently James mentioned it in an interview recently with private sessions unless my contact was misinformed.

But I must say I really thought there would be some kind of announcement and my guess is that as James' 2 to 3 monthly newsletter is due any minute he will then make the official announcement. So I suggest everyone keep a look out on the home page for it appearing...

Tracy xx
Post #75139
Posted 01 January 2008 21:35

Supreme Being

At the end of the day ... it is not the same as, say, a member of a band like Keane leaving. The James Blunt band are "just" a bunch of session musicians who all do other things outside of touring and performing with James. Of course its better for James to keep the same bunch around him, but it can't always happen like that, and these session musicians sometimes feel the pull of other commitments is stronger than staying. For many, the reason they are session musicians is the variety. In Malc's case, he has felt the pull of family life and the need to work on some of his own material with his wife.

I've been listening to some of John Garrison's stuff on his myspace page and I have to say I like it
Post #75140
Posted 01 January 2008 21:48
Supreme Being

Last Login: 18 October 2015 18:14
Thanks for the info on John, lady blunt.

This is a part of Johns blog dated Nov 26th 2007 .

"I've had a great 2 months back in the UK.

As I said in my last blog, I played bass for Leona Lewis on her Live Lounge session on Radio 1. I then flew back to NYC. Meanwhile, the resulting recording of the Snow Patrol cover "Run" that we did, has blown up in the UK and is being played everywhere on the radio over there. As a result, I was asked to fly back to record the song properly. I went into Mayfair studio London, with my mates Karl on drums and Luke and Beardy on guitar and keys respectively and we laid it down in an evening. Don't know what happens to it now but it will probably see the light of day at some point. Very enjoyable session. We all hung out at Guy Chambers' studio afterwards which is just the best studio I have ever set foot in. I want one. Vintage guitars and keyboards everywhere."

So, Karl and Beardy play on Leona's cover of "Run!"

John's work will be familiar to these two which must make life easier when choosing a new band member.
Post #75141
Posted 01 January 2008 22:30

Supreme Being

Ah ... I did wonder why Karl had a bunch of Leona Lewis stuff on his website! LOL
Post #75142
Posted 01 January 2008 23:13
Supreme Being

Last Login: 26 August 2010 22:55
well, he's ok, but he's nothing compared to Mal!
Post #75143
Posted 02 January 2008 12:09

Supreme Being

Last Login: 31 December 2014 01:38
Let's give him a chance Nan The music on his MySpace page sounds good but I'm defo gonna miss Mal too.

flakie xx
Post #75144
Posted 02 January 2008 12:38

Supreme Being

Last Login: 23 March 2017 21:04
WELCOME JOHN!!!!

Here we go again...
Post #75145
Posted 02 January 2008 13:29

Supreme Being

Last Login: 13 April 2014 09:58
I was gutted when i found out that Malcolm is leaving the band, & yes a bit P*ssed that it noone said anything, but hey i wish him all the best in whatever he has planned in life now,
& good luck 2 John!

(I'm sorry but Leona has killed "Run" love that song!!)
Post #75146
Posted 02 January 2008 13:53
Supreme Being

Last Login: 26 August 2010 22:57
As it was mentioed earlier they are anyway just individual session musicians and not part of a band, so it will probably make little difference as long as they all stick to the pre-arranged routine.
Post #75147
Posted 02 January 2008 17:33
Supreme Being

Last Login: 26 August 2010 22:55
i know flakie i need to give him a chance. I got back on his site and listened to all of the songs on there and must admit he isn't half bad! i will just have to see him with the band, ya know?
Post #75148
Posted 03 January 2008 05:47

Supreme Being

Last Login: 06 December 2018 08:10
chriskirk, you may be correct when it comes to the on-stage performance. These fellows are all professionals and the road show is very well rehearsed and planned before any of us see it. But each of the people on the stage are individual human beings, as James might say. What you may not be aware of, chriskirk, is that a lot of us have met and sometimes even spent time with Malcolm outside of the performances. Many have met his wife and made googly eyes with his son. Malcolm is, to many of us, a friend. We wish him well in his new journey, but that doesn't mean we won't miss him.

Now, John sounds very interesting - he has a different voice from Malcolm and a bit of a different style, so I expect it won't be exactly a cookie-cutter changeover. I'm guessing we'll see a few different flares, that will only increase our enjoyment of the show. I'm looking forward to it!
Post #75149
Posted 24 January 2008 17:37

JB.com Admin

JB.com AdminJB.com AdminJB.com AdminJB.com AdminJB.com AdminJB.com AdminJB.com AdminJB.com Admin

Group: Administrators
Last Login: 10 December 2018 21:36
Pingpong posted -

so how are you all finding the new bass man?
As a Garrison/Budapest fan, I think you all should realise how lucky you are to have this guy and give you all a quick background.
John grew up on Warwick Uni campus as his Dad was the head of music.
He toured the world as a session drummer and bassist for years.
John was the songwriter and singer in the hugely underated band "Budapest". They released 2 albums and had a small hit in the UK and U.S. with the song "Is This The Best It Gets?" see the video here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QV4Dy2pNj4o&feature=related
They had a big hit in Spain with this song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNTAaWgsKnI
He wrote all the music, had a speaking role and starred with Tamsin Outhwaite and Simon Pegg in BBC 1 drama Final demand. See the opening credits here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIJWGj0uEIM
He moved to New York and released the awesome "Above The Cosmos" on his own label. You can see the video for "Testimony" here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNUWU-cqNhU
There you are. I hope this helps you all understand My Garrison a little more. He is a very nice chap too as I'm sure you are all aware already.
Post #75150
Posted 24 January 2008 23:30
Supreme Being

Last Login: 21 March 2013 10:56
I can't wait to meet him Billy. I indeed also think he is a fine chap.
Post #75151
Posted 25 January 2008 01:45

Supreme Being

Last Login: 11 November 2017 14:32
Wow, what a talent! I really like his voice. And those links are very nice pingpong.
Post #75152
Posted 27 January 2008 01:20

Supreme Being

Last Login: 29 March 2017 16:20
rofl@billy.....

think you can find our answers in the thread 'big up the bass'...... welcome the new boy John...

and my favorite would be 'convincing myself' tho the (originally budapest) song 'Is this the best it gets' is great too.

then again, all his songs (the ones i heard sofar) are great. still trying to find the budapest album 'head towards the dawn'....
Post #75153
Posted 11 April 2008 05:07

Supreme Being

Last Login: 29 March 2017 17:01
I just saw a John live, in a small intimate place! He is AMAZING! I am off now to get his CD. <sigh> If you ever get to catch him live....do it!!!
Post #75154
Posted 11 April 2008 14:15
Supreme Being

Last Login: 15 September 2010 19:06
Glad to hear you had a great time at the show Link15!! Maybe next time I'll be able to attend the gig...New York is just a little too far away. He needs to come to Canada! How many songs did he perform? Where is the CD available to purchase?
Post #75155
Posted 11 April 2008 15:31

Supreme Being

Last Login: 31 December 2014 01:38
awww Ellen, how wonderful! I wish I could have been there, I love his CD. Did you take photos?

You can order his CD here and it's absolutely worth it:
http://cdbaby.com/cd/garrisonj

xx
Post #75156
Posted 11 April 2008 22:48

Supreme Being

Flakie...Shhhh I took video, but I want to throw it by him before I post it. It was new stuff that he wrote that day, so I don't want to let that stuff out without him knowing about it.

I ordered the CD last night. Of course the one song stuck in my head, is the one not on the CD.
Post #75157
Posted 11 April 2008 23:06

Supreme Being

rofl@link15.. so you were the girl right in front of the piano??

hehe.. I was the one with the slr camera at that table.. and yes, he was indeed brilliant...

gonna check the Esperanto tonight and this weekend to check if he is going to play a surprise gig there.. one never knows but one can always hope
Post #75158
Posted 11 April 2008 23:34

Supreme Being

Actually, I was in the corner by the bathroom! I had to lean up against the wall to see him on the piano. If ya hear that he's doing anything else this weekend, let me know.
Post #75159
Posted 12 April 2008 15:48

Supreme Being

Last Login: 13 April 2014 09:58
Me & Tams were planning to come to NY for John's gig but couldnt in the end due 2 work, i was SO gutted as i really wanted 2 go, i LOVE his album, i've never got it off, love 'when the lights go out' & 'abdicate' (even tho it makes me cry!) hopefully we can go the next time!
Post #75160
Posted 12 April 2008 20:12

Supreme Being

still no news of a gig at esperanto, but will check later today...
Post #75161
Posted 13 April 2008 03:21

Supreme Being

Is it hot in here or is it just me???? (lol)
Post #75162
Posted 14 April 2008 20:42
Supreme Being

Last Login: 16 August 2016 22:58
So fantastic, Link and Loraline, that you were able to attend John's gig last week and enjoyed it so much. No wonder actually, as he is such a complete artist and passionate musician plus he has great stage presence. Above all his voice is just adorable. Too bad I couldn't make it to NYC this time even though I so wanted to. I'm afraid there won't be another chance to have him play a solo concert in the forseeable future. Had the flights almost booked but struggled with the rest (learned that finding a slightly less expensive hotel room in the core of the Big Apple isn't quite so easy). Maybe the date was announced just a little too late to finally get my trip managed all the way from Germany.

Thanks so much, Lydia, for posting the set list on Jenny's MySpace (btw, your German is really good). Can't wait to hear the new songs.

I'm living with 'Above the Cosmos' since February and love it, love it, love it!!! It really is a masterpiece. Got 'Too Blind to Hear' recently and it's also brilliant, especially 'Evade the pain' and 'Censored Memories'. Still waiting for 'Head Towards the Dawn' (it's available at Sinnamon Records in Spain, 10 + 6 shipping). What can I say, I truly get drawn deeper into his music (and lyrics, of course) from day to day and there are so many of his amazing songs stuck in my head. Johnny boy really got me with his voice, but I also love him playing the piano as he does in the video clips taken at his gig in December. Hope there will be added some footage of the recent show on his web-site or MySpace.

I met him twice after JB gigs in March, where he signed 'everything Garrison' I own. He's such a nice guy, really down to earth and fun to talk to (sure, you know that already.. .
Hopefully he'll soon get the - long overdue - worldwide musical recognition he so very much deserves.

Hugs to you all
Jacqueline xx

Ooops, a lot of raving on my part, and I didn't even talk about his looks...
Post #75163
Posted 14 April 2008 22:19
Supreme Being

Last Login: 21 September 2011 16:17
I also heard John also last week (many thanks to Link being linked in to all good musical trouble!). Blunt Addict, I agree with your thoughts about John's music. Loraline, were you stage left? I was sitting with Ellen, stageright.

Hopefully he'll find time to play another quick set, in between all the travelling he's been doing lately.
Post #75164
Posted 14 April 2008 23:11

Supreme Being

Blunt Addict, it's his new stuff (stuff he wrote the day of the gig...) that is unreal! How he can take 3 words written on a bench, and turn it into a heartfelt song, just blew me away. <sigh> I bought his CD, just waiting for it now. (He forgot to bring them to sell at the gig)
Post #75165
Prev Topic | Next Topic

All times are GMT, Time now is 10:25pm