James Blunt

Please also select your country:

Confirm your location by clicking on the relevant flag above.

Do not show me this message again.

Home       Members    Calendar
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Goodbye My Lover Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 26 August 2010 22:57
Old message board discussion - http://www.jamesblunt.com/cgi-bin/teemz/teemz.cgi?board=_master&action=opentopic&topic=8&forum=Back_to_Bedlam_2

I'm not sure if James visits this board or not. I've never written someone famous before. I feel a bit geeky about it, and feel very shy. I felt compelled to come here after listening to Goodbye My Lover approximately 4000 times in the last 3 weeks. And sobbing every. single. time.

the lyrics are incredible, the piano is beautiful, the way you sing it--the little hitches, the emotion, the voice breaks... i have no idea if you've actually lost someone in your life, but this song is the most touching thing i've ever heard.

thanks for singing it, Mr. Blunt.

i had a friend write a violin accompaniment to it. i'm just a fiddler, but if you ever want to hear it, i'll send it to you. i mean, i have no idea who you are, and this is a pretty slick website, so apparently you're Kind of a Big Deal, and you're prolly musical enough to write one yourself, but maybe getting fan music is fun. (is there a music version of the word "fanfic?" i will eventually get around to listening to more of your music besides that beautiful song that's all over. i just found this one because a friend gave it to me.

it's taking me awhile to work through the layers of emotion in the piece, and playing it is helping. when the song settles in me, i'll be able to concentrate on listening to more of your work. Looking forward to it.
Post #57534
Posted 20 February 2008 04:03
Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Last Login: 27 October 2011 21:34
Welcome to the boards, mima...

Please don't feel geeky or shy about how much James's music has meant to you or how you want to communicate that to him.

Our moderator, dear Billy has created a thread for messages directly to James that you can go to to write a message to him:

http://forum.jamesblunt.com/viewtopic.php?t=19

I hope you enjoy our crazy world here.
x
Post #57535
Posted 11 March 2008 15:01
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: 26 August 2010 22:58
I'm new here!~
And I'm just kinda addicted to JB's songs....really beautiful,which makes me feel that my soul has been cleaned...
I just love those songs....
Post #57536
Posted 08 May 2008 18:04
Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Last Login: 05 May 2016 22:05
Whilst watching the British T.V soap award last night I nearly fell off my chair with shock to find them playing Goodbye my lover over Vera Duckworths death scene clip from Coronation St.
Post #57537
Posted 08 May 2008 19:33
Supreme Being

Last Login: 26 August 2010 22:57
lol paulyn!!

this is my mum's favourite song... awwww!!
Post #57538
Posted 09 May 2008 17:04
Supreme Being

Its one of my favorites as well MB but Vera Duckworth is hardly a role model for the song now is she?
Post #57539
Posted 13 May 2008 14:32
Forum Newbie

I am about to be left by the girl, I've been together for last several years and with whom I ment to spend the rest of my life.
It's... one of thos situation when you both love each other till it hurts, but both are aware that you can't move together...

James Blunt... may you burn in the fires of hell for writting this song. Very same fires that torment me while listening it...
Post #57540
Posted 13 May 2008 14:39
Supreme Being

Last Login: 08 August 2011 01:36
montengrin- dont give james a hard time. life is just life...we all live through it. There are many of us who had to say goodbye to our lover for one reason or another....just life sweetie...james just gave us the gift of song
Post #57541
Posted 13 May 2008 17:58
Supreme Being

How very rude of you montenegrin. I bet she's glad to be offski from you with that attitude!
Post #57542
Posted 14 May 2008 16:50
Forum Newbie

read again... and stop being so politically correct.
That was a compliment to...
Post #57543
Posted 14 May 2008 18:49
Supreme Being

Doesn't matter how many times I read it you still very rude.
Post #57544
Posted 15 May 2008 08:26
Supreme Being

Last Login: 08 August 2011 01:36
peace people...this is a friendly place...remember
Post #57545
Posted 15 May 2008 15:54
Supreme Being

Perhaps montenegrin's intent was to use that phrase for emphasis and was misconstrued.

I think if he's saying it was meant as a compliment, we could all try to appreciate that, even if we don't understand or are put off by the words.

carry on...
Post #57546
Posted 15 May 2008 17:39
Supreme Being

I see the do gooders are out in force
Post #57547
Posted 15 May 2008 17:55
Supreme Being

It's not about being a do-gooder, Paulyn...it's about finding a middle ground and trying to understand and accept rather than assume the worst and judge.

It's much more fun that way....for everyone.
Post #57548
Posted 15 May 2008 18:05

Supreme Being

Last Login: 11 November 2017 14:32
I try to respect other people's opinions but I had a hard time finding a compliment in that statement. Just seemed so harsh to me. JMO
Post #57549
Posted 15 May 2008 18:14
Supreme Being

Me to hookedon james. I thought it was extremely harsh and objected to its content. Some maybe able to look and think acceptance and understanding but I wouldn't want anyone telling me to burn in hell for writing a song.
Post #57550
Posted 15 May 2008 18:25

Supreme Being

Yes paulyn, I could see identifying with a song so much that you are actually living the words...but to damn someone for writing such a song from their own pain and personal experiences is just wrong to me. I don't understand that kind of thinking.
Post #57551
Posted 15 May 2008 18:30
Supreme Being

Nor would I want to to HOJ
Post #57552
Posted 15 May 2008 18:35

Supreme Being

Agreed
Post #57553
Posted 16 May 2008 04:40
Forum Newbie

There is an old pattern in the western culture stating that certain artists have been able to produce a certain works only with the help of the devil. Starting from RObert Johnson (The Crossroads), "Devil's thriller", "Xanadu"...

This pattern percieves certain works of arts as specific up to the extent of being the immpossible for the regular human beings to design them...

POssibility if re-living such works of art and relating them to the personal experiences, esspecially if it means - going to the depts of introspection and purification of persons' most hidden pains and sorrows (which enevitably invokes the references to the torments of hell as the closest description) - only speaks of the author... Since - it is not difficult to express your feelings in a artisticly quality way. But doing that in a way which allows other people to identify with it - means you have filled that gap between the personal specifics to the something unversally understandable...

All of you, which have "burned in such torments of hell fires" would understand that...
Don't look at it literally. Not in the case of art and expression of feelings...
Post #57554
Posted 16 May 2008 19:28
Supreme Being

Oh your explaination makes every clear as ......mud now dear. So James has had a little help from the devil eh? Was the devil co-producer or song writer? Or is Billy the devil??????
Post #57555
Posted 16 May 2008 20:26
Forum Newbie

Oh, precious - you got it all wrong.
Visit the site to get a grasp of the devil thing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossroads_(1986_film)

And then go to:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metaphor

I believe that afterwards some things might seem more clear. To you :-)
Post #57556
Posted 17 May 2008 06:21
Supreme Being

Last Login: 26 August 2010 22:54
If I may jump in here- as the atmosphere in this thread is becoming quite tense, i think I may grasp what montenegrin means by the comments made.

I don't think the 'devil' description is to be taken literally with in context of the song GBML. Without checking the links posted, i think it is fair to say that some people are born with a more developed sensory ability to communicateand describe that which most human beings can identitfy with- loss.
Some people are exposed to more than their fair share of loss, whether it be the loss of loved ones, loss of self respect, loss of innocence, loss of a spouse, lost love, lost dreams, loss of integrity, etc. Everyone is familiar with regret for something in their lives. Some of the most powerful and important relationships people have are those that make the biggest impression on someone; the relationships where a future life is envisioned with children and all the things that life brings- happiness, passion, anger, tenderness, misgiving and when those relationships come to an end most of us can identify with how painful the loss of all those things with another person can be. Often people will do things for a loved one they would never do for anyone else- and break with convention to make a loved one happy or just feel loved.

The recurring theme of devils and angels, and other mythical creatures wound into literature, music and the arts are metaphors that seek to describe the conflicting emotions we have in love relationships of all sorts. They are symbols of many cultures- and though we try not to judge others
over their choices of who they love- there often is turmoil over whom people spend their lives with, despite what others may think. Love is often described as being blind because we love others despite their faults, and as long as we don't remove those 'beer' goggles we continue to love indefinitely for as long as we are able to handle the pains and troubles that come with loving someone. Often the dynamics of a relationship take many years to culminate into a final form whatever that may be- seperation, death or surrender... letting something or someone go is not easy for some of us.
The people who most strongly feel a connection to artistic expressions like this see themselves mirrored in the words of a song that express the most difficult loss of all- a future you were not prepared to let go of when it happened. No devils there really, just the reality of how human beings hurt when they lose someone and couldn't possibly think it could be something a divine and good being would wish upon them.

IF that makes the mud any clearer- you're welcome.
Post #57557
Posted 17 May 2008 08:20
Forum Newbie

spoken nicely...
Post #57558
Posted 17 May 2008 15:01
Supreme Being

Yes blue, thank you for that.....you have a way with words.
Post #57559
Posted 17 May 2008 16:02
Supreme Being

Well Blue that only put a stirring stick in the clearing puddle and made it mud again. Probably not helped with links as to what a metaphor means from your 'may you burn in the fires of hell man'.

NOTE to that person, believe it or not some of us on here aren't 'thick eejits' I just didn't like the way you put it.

Each person can interpret the song in there own way without casting damnation on the song writer and the very fact that it needed an explaination speaks for itself.

Now back to Coronation St and Vera's swan song, was GBML played over her death on the programme?
Post #57560
Posted 17 May 2008 20:48
Supreme Being

:'( paulyn1-
will i ever win when it comes to you? I didn't mean to muddy the puddle for you... "some of us aren't thick eejits"??
Have you lumped me in the thick eeejits category yet again?

*waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah as i slink off from this thread wondering why i keep getting kicked around...?*
Post #57561
Posted 18 May 2008 00:57
Supreme Being

Chin up, tits out, blue....you gotta be able to take the shots on the chin when you venture out and post your thoughts.

But I agree...there's nothing else to accomplish in this thread. Better head to another for your beating.

*follows blue to give her a little love-shove*
Post #57562
Posted 18 May 2008 01:36
Supreme Being

you know it wouldn't be my tits that would be out if i had to take a shot for real just for saying what i think- my temper can be a slooooow burn, but when it ignites sometimes.... I haven't been called a bitch for nuthin' you know... oh I know paulyn1 likes me , it's just too emabarrassing to admit it LOL!!
Post #57563
Prev Topic | Next Topic

All times are GMT, Time now is 7:41am