James Blunt

Please also select your country:

Confirm your location by clicking on the relevant flag above.

Do not show me this message again.

Home       Members    Calendar
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

12»»

Wisemen Expand / Collapse
Author
Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 26 August 2010 22:57
Someone recently asked me what I thought this song was about.

What is it about? I didnt see the video and I bought the album.
It is one of my favourites.
Post #57286
Posted 30 January 2008 00:18
Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Last Login: 26 August 2010 22:55
i heard james says it's about "going your own way and doing your own thing"

discussion from the old boards:

http://www.jamesblunt.com/cgi-bin/teemz/teemz.cgi?board=_master&action=opentopic&topic=13&forum=Back_to_Bedlam_2

1st video:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Tp5ML9GS6lM

2nd video:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=cueB7j4ZGrM

hope this helps!
Post #57287
Posted 30 January 2008 02:42
Supreme Being

This is the best i can remember from something i read:

When james was at school (he was a bit of a geek), he hung out with a bunch of 'cool' guys (the wisemen). They found out that he liked a girl that they all wanted, so for fun they told her that James liked her. After hearing this, she had feelings for James and James ended up getting the girl.
The 'wisemen' ended up unsucessful in anything and 'in a semi by the sea', which is saying they are living together in a very sad ramshackle little house by the sea, without the girl and are thouroughly miserable and wishing they'd never decided to tell the girl.

Im not sure of the accuracy of this, it might be a load of poppycock, but i kind of think it makes sense.

I hope that helps.
Post #57288
Posted 30 January 2008 13:54
Supreme Being

Last Login: 19 December 2010 22:36
That sure helps me!
It means James is a geek like me! (lol)

I thoughht this song was about drugs!
Post #57289
Posted 04 February 2008 18:04
Supreme Being

Thank you.
Post #57290
Posted 05 February 2008 14:59

Supreme Being

Last Login: 17 September 2010 15:06
This is the only James Blunt song that I cover so thanks for the back ground on it. The reason its the only one I cover is that its the only one without the horrendously hard vocal range.

Anyone fancy a steak supper?
Post #57291
Posted 07 February 2008 14:38

Supreme Being

Last Login: 17 September 2017 06:10
I really connect to the part of the song......he's singing.........

"Look who's alone now....It's not Me'...It's not Me'...."

I'm a dork though! lol.....Makes me smile everytime......

=)

Me'
Post #57292
Posted 11 February 2008 17:56
Supreme Being

You mean there were girls at his boarding school?

This is one of my favourite songs. I didnt think I needed a vocal range to enjoy music. but now I know where I'm going wrong. Thank you.

I dont believe JB was ever a geek.
Post #57293
Posted 17 May 2008 10:21
Supreme Being

Last Login: 26 August 2010 22:53
The making of the wisemen 2006 video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YukoscRFfsE
Post #57294
Posted 17 May 2008 23:07
Supreme Being

yeah, i dont know if that story ^^^ i posted is real or not. but hey, im a geek ;-)
Post #57295
Posted 06 November 2008 12:31

JB.com Admin

JB.com AdminJB.com AdminJB.com AdminJB.com AdminJB.com AdminJB.com AdminJB.com AdminJB.com Admin

Group: Administrators
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 21:36
bump
Post #57296
Posted 07 November 2008 00:40
Supreme Being

Last Login: 26 August 2010 22:54
all I can think about when i hear this song is that period in time a few years back when there was that klez virus going around... it's like VD for for your PC...
Post #57297
Posted 25 January 2009 03:14

Supreme Being

Last Login: 17 September 2017 06:10
Does anyone hear a grinding/scraping noise in the background? What is that....
Post #57298
Posted 21 October 2010 15:59
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: 22 October 2010 08:26
Three Wise Men is about the girlfriend (love interest) of the singer/writer who cheats on him. The girl was possibly attending a talent or modeling show and the wisemen are the judges of the show at a sea side town. There is a suggestion that in the girl's ambition that in a sordid way the girl either provokes or is seduced into smoking drugs and having some level of sexual relations with one or more of the 3 "wisemen", possibly in order to gain success and/or fame.

The girl is trying to explain to the singer/writer what happened (with remorse) and the singer writer is reacting angerly, blaming the girl and suggesting that she seduce the judges and allowed them to become obsessed with her and now pointing out that she is both alone and didn't succeed in her search for fame.

To be more explicit, it is clear that the girl and the 3 wisemen have been smoking (drugs) 9-7. The 3 wisemen having a semi (by the sea) is a sexual reference to a semi erection. suggesting some cheap sexual encounter.

The result is the singer has or is leaving the girl and this is the start of good bye my lover. The transition from anger to closure. Should I be feeling guilty or let the judges frown?
Post #148760
Posted 21 October 2010 16:40
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Of course there is also a suggestion that the judges may have got caught and they were just trying to have some fun and regret what has happened, perhaps this is how it came to light and why the girl is trying to explain?
Post #148766
Posted 21 October 2010 20:41

Supreme Being

Last Login: 10 July 2018 01:41
Hi Digger,

Welcome to the boards.  Interesting interpretation...you've obviously been living up to your boardie name, having a dig around and seeing what you could come up with.   Hadn't thought of it that way before but your theory's pretty good.

Seem to remember James once said in an interview that it was something to do with some boys at his old school, who were teasing him about a girl he liked.  Apparently the three of them went up to the girl and told her that James liked her, thinking she'd find it funny, but instead she liked James and he got the girl.  So that's another possible way of looking at it - as a message from James to people that knew him years ago and made him the butt of their jokes - a sort of "Who's laughing now?" kind of shot back at them.

W'fan
Post #148787
Posted 22 October 2010 06:59
Forum Newbie

Dear Wolverinefan,

Thanks, your post is appreciated although similar to the one above. However, I find this explaination all too nice and convenient and think that there is a far more sordid, deeper and darker story to the song. Don't get me wrong Charles Manson is telling me to murder preppy rich kids, but I reckon it is worth another listen and I'd really welcome other peoples feed back.

How could you interpret the "pinickety little basterds who judge each other and try and impress" and the "wrapped up in your talent show" bits? Does not sit somehow within your interpretation. Somehow the anger is directed at the girl as well as the wise men.

Cheers

Digger
Post #148862
Posted 22 October 2010 12:54

Supreme Being

Last Login: 22 January 2013 13:31
Wolverine I think I prefer your interpretation.

Digger - is James really that Dark?

You've both really thought about this. Thanks.  

Post #148876
Posted 01 February 2011 19:43

Supreme Being

Group: Banned Members
Last Login: 22 September 2011 11:03
I have just watched this video for the first time, and found it alarming, what was with the passport and burning, and going up in flames?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cueB7j4ZGrM

I used to live in a semi by the sea.

Its one of those songs we will never understand.
Post #166225
Posted 05 February 2011 09:18

Supreme Being

Last Login: 29 March 2017 23:57
The 'making of' video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YukoscRFfsE

The other video is even weirder!...

http://www.jamesblunt.com/video,wiseman-making-of_24.htm

Post #166716
Posted 28 February 2011 03:42

Supreme Being

Last Login: 12 April 2017 03:41
I don't think the video necessarily portrays the meaning of the song...
I really really don't know what this one is about but it's one of my favourite to think about for that reason... for me is sort of an "I was right and you were wrong" song....

My first take on the three 'wise' men was that they were in a position of power (military, political, etc.) and really screwed things up by lack of foresight and by getting caught up in trying to one-up each other... "In your talent show"...
"Look who's alone now, it's not me..." makes me think, "Because I wasn't party to it..."
I still do not have a solid opinion on what this song is about, I haven't the faintest, that was my first impression the first time I listened to it though.

I really like the video... when he burns all his paperwork he metaphorically burns his identity, and therefore himself (At which point he starts to smolder and then bursts into flames).... the twist is that he apparently doesn't survive the transformation. There's a part of the video where he is standing outside a house but for some reason can't go in, then the lights go out... he isn't recognised because he's no longer the same person, the identity by which he would have been recognised no longer exists?

I really enjoy bizarre symbology so this is one of my favourite songs. It's a puzzle... I hope if I ever do hear from James directly or indirectly what this song is about it's not too simple... I'd be saddened to find out it had no complexity.
Post #170145
Posted 28 February 2011 17:27

Supreme Being

Last Login: 11 November 2017 14:32
lol, the 'making of' vids are weird but fun! Can you believe I didn't pick up on those masks being James' face? I'm a terrible stalker!

I also have absolutely no clue what this song is about after all this time! That's the best part about it!! And when James says they lost the plot or something like that! Even better!
Post #170188
Posted 06 March 2011 11:30

Supreme Being

There are so many references to the work of J R R Tolkien. I wonder if James studied this at school or even at Uni while doing his dissertation? Many other bands have been influenced by Tolkien's work, such as Pink Floyd, so Uni might be more likely.
There were three in the TCBS (Tolkien, Wiseman and Gilson). Wiseman was good at maths, science and music. These writings have lots of references in James' music - particularly B2B. I see all the links, but if you don't you'll probably think I've gone off my head!
Post #170807
Posted 06 March 2011 12:26

Supreme Being

Group: Banned Members
Last Login: 22 September 2011 11:03
Deleted
Post #170814
Posted 04 July 2011 10:47

Supreme Being

Last Login: 11 February 2014 02:08
Hello! I've just made a video of Wisemen with some videos i found on youtube.. it's about the SKOT tour, i hope you'll like it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPKvJPp1840&feature=channel_video_title

ps: i hope you are not sorry if i used also yours videos to make it
Post #184506
Posted 28 August 2011 02:42

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 22 November 2012 17:01
Is James one of those wise men and what does James mean by semi by the sea?
Post #191341
Posted 28 August 2011 08:04
Supreme Being

Last Login: 04 May 2014 20:40
I happen to be under the impression that I speak English fluently and this song is in English but I suffer from a serious case of No Hablo Ingles when it comes to cracking the code on what this song is about. I don’t even try anymore and just go with the flow of the lyrics.

In some interview, either in print or on radio/television, he speaks of a wartime experience provoking the writing of the lyrics for this song. Something along the lines of the Wisemen being based upon a very specific scene he had witnessed, the nonchalant behaviour of a particular group of Eastern European soldiers after they had finished a job of killing some locals. (My memory’s a bust. Does anyone recall this interview?) True? Not True? I don’t know but it tends to insert a sinister implication into the lyrics.

I never know how seriously to take James in interviews (. . . generating BS being JB’s other but much lesser known talent . . . ) but on the late night cable show Chelsea Lately, he claims “semi” in Wisemen refers to a “semi-detached” house:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2Al-0wUTog
[At 5:22. Interview from Feb. 2011 I believe?]

However per James, some confusion always seems to arise about the word referring to either semi-automatic or a semi-h***on. (Well hello, he was in the army and he goes by DirtyLilBlunt as his twitter moniker.) Oh, and the Urban Dictionary gives James full credit for introducing the innocuous slang “semi by the sea” for an erection. This man's creativity knows no bounds.

Listening to Irene screaming outside as she wrecks everything in sight while trying to make up her mind whether she wants to be a hurricane or a tropical thunder storm in DC. (Women, I tell ya.) They say at least six more of hours of this. O dios mio.
Post #191345
Posted 28 August 2011 13:24

Supreme Being

Green Life (28/08/2011)
what does James mean by semi by the sea?

Ask Kejy for an interpretation of this!!

Post #191395
Posted 28 August 2011 13:51
Supreme Being

Last Login: 25 February 2017 18:36
Annmarie!  Don't corrupt the poor lad.
Post #191398
Posted 28 August 2011 14:01

Supreme Being

What?! I'm not corrupting anyone, I'm letting Kejy take the blame for corrupting others!
Post #191399
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

12»»

All times are GMT, Time now is 7:30am