James Blunt

Please also select your country:

Confirm your location by clicking on the relevant flag above.

Do not show me this message again.

Home       Members    Calendar
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Till You're Told To Stop Expand / Collapse
Author

Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 20:43
i-have-moved-on (27/02/2012)
Just checked amazon.co.uk it is James Blunt Back Stage, DVD released on 3rd September 2012

Ticktock... ticktock... I don't think it's going to happen.
Post #218737
Posted 11 September 2012 22:08
Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Last Login: 02 March 2016 07:51
Doesn't look like it will have a official release, you might as well buy it on eBay. You will need a multi region DVD to watch.
Post #219147
Posted 12 September 2012 14:27

Supreme Being

Last Login: 12 January 2016 20:46
Let's take a look at the positive side: Maybe it'll be released in 50 years...
Post #219178
Posted 28 January 2013 18:49

Supreme Being

Last Login: 22 February 2018 17:30
any news about an upcoming release date??

Would like watching the DVD on Easter

Post #225951
Posted 30 January 2013 17:19

Supreme Being

Last Login: 12 March 2018 12:00
I love the picture!
Susan, I was thinking....
I just need this stage to be seen. Maybe we need his Light and that is why he needs to be seen
Like you, never met him in this lifetime, I mean exactly in the state of awareness that I am in at this moment.
Post #226003
Posted 30 January 2013 17:21
Supreme Being

This DVD is never going to be released there won't be enough demand to buy it unlike a few years ago. Special moment lost for ever, unless it's for sale on ebay, the only place it was for sale last year.
Post #226004
Posted 30 January 2013 17:39
Supreme Being

Last Login: 17 June 2017 11:36
If they don't plan to release it, it would be nice if they could play some clips of it while we are waiting to see him perform at his concerts. xx
Post #226009
Posted 07 February 2013 19:08

Supreme Being

thanks a lot for your comments.

It is soo sad that the DVD will (probably) never release

I don´t give up hope

Lucky, who had the possibility and could have watched the movie on a festival years ago

ina

Post #226340
Posted 19 April 2013 18:44
Forum Member

Forum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum Member

Last Login: 15 September 2014 21:35
I just gave up on this and ordered the Taiwanese DVD. Hope it will arrive soon. I just need to figure out how to get it running then because of the region code...
Post #229067
Posted 21 April 2013 04:02

Supreme Being

I don't think we'll ever know the bottom of this endless story as to why the DVD has not been released after all these years. It's a shame because it is something unique and priceless for James' fans. How many artists can say they have footage of their public career almost since day one wrapped up in a professional documentary? And there's a hundred more hours of filming which don't appear in the documentary. I hope they are kept safely in a vault for future projects.

Mooudi, you took the right decision. All you need now is to buy a region free player if the DVD doesn't work on your device.

Post #229116
Posted 21 April 2013 18:58
Forum Member

Forum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum Member

Last Login: 15 September 2014 21:35
jbfan132 (21/04/2013)
I don't think we'll ever know the bottom of this endless story as to why the DVD has not been released after all these years. It's a shame because it is something unique and priceless for James' fans. How many artists can say they have footage of their public career almost since day one wrapped up in a professional documentary? And there's a hundred more hours of filming which don't appear in the documentary. I hope they are kept safely in a vault for future projects.

Mooudi, you took the right decision. All you need now is to buy a region free player if the DVD doesn't work on your device.

I think there are ways to overcome region codes on PCs
Post #229128
Posted 21 April 2013 22:41

Supreme Being

I'm sure you're right Mooudi but I wasn't tech savvy enough to do it so I bought a region free DVD player that a 4 year old child could use without any help.
Post #229133
Posted 25 April 2013 14:20

Supreme Being

Last Login: Yesterday @ 15:09
I would really love to watch this documentary, I had hopes but now? if you have troubles to buy this thing, what I can do!

again, what a SHAME not to watch it, really.
Post #229258
Posted 10 May 2013 17:57
Supreme Being

Going off topic, susan why have you changed your board name to susansdad
Post #229901
Posted 29 October 2014 21:38

Supreme Being

Update posted by Ruth Somalo on the public Facebook page dedicated to the documentary.

Dear friends and supporters of the documentary Till You're Told To Stop:

This was my second feature documentary (first one without Co-directors), it was a response to my need to understand the inner workings of the music industry and how a talented musician could navigate it to succeed. I started shooting as I moved to London in 2003 and It came out of the great impression that James Blunt left me as a songwriter and as a human being. I was terribly optimistic, naive and excited about Cinéma vérité, and was influenced by D.A. Pennebaker's Dont Look Back, a fantastic 1967 documentary that covers Bob Dylan's 1965 concert tour in the United Kingdom (you can catch a few of his films in the great retrospective held by Thom Powers at the documentary series Stranger than Fiction at the IFC cinema in NY).

Many of you still email asking about the film's release, even after all this years. I just realized that my last post was in 2012, so thank you so much for your interest and support.

Here is one answer, although one can never know what is exactly the truth behind certain events: After years of close contact with all parties involved and the encouragement to go ahead and find a sales agent and distributor for the film, Atlantic Records UK didn't want the documentary to be released in the version you saw at festivals. They didn't want to license the music rights even after all the publishing rights were paid to EMI and all parties involved were letting me know they liked the film.

But let me backtrack a bit to give you context. After moving to NY in 2008 executives at Atlantic Records US loved the film and asked me to include new interviews with Lyor Cohen, CEO and President of Recorded Music Warner Music Group, and Julie Greenwald Chairman and COO of Atlantic; which I included because they were revealing and heartfelt.
Mr Cohen recounted how James Blunt saved Atlantic Records and made founder Ahmet Ertegün proud to walk through their building hallways again.

The new cut got the go ahead to be sent to film festivals were even Blunt's music detractor's appreciated the candid and fun portrait of this very talented and hardworking musician on his way to global stardom from zero. The film did well in festivals but I fucked up giving the world premier to a small festival in Puerto Rico, I loved this festival ethics and It's organizers, and the idea of a holiday with ocean view while premiering the film outdoors for a whole new audience really appealed to me. Needless to say no big festival takes your film after your world premier is in a small festival. Anyway many other festivals around the world embraced the film and audiences loved it. Some of you travelled a long way to come and see the film and I will be eternally grateful for your generosity.

The film was finally ready to be released and after me and my lawyers contacted all parties involved and were encouraged to move ahead, I purchased the rights we were told we needed and we were just waiting on the green light from Atlantic Records. Time keep going by and nobody could tell me why they were stalling on telling me what to pay and just signing the forms.

Atlantic Records finally sent me and my distributor a "cease and desist" notification in 2012 right after the sales agents started to distribute the film (Shoreline Entertainment told me that they had acquired all necessary licenses to release it in Europe but I guess they were wrong).
I still don't know why this had to happen and I have been in constant communication with the legal departments of the label for years.

When I contacted the artist and management to get clarification it seemed that they wanted yet another re edit of the film. I was happy to do it again since some time has passed since I premiered this completely independent film back in 2009, so I asked them to let me know what changes they had in mind so we could start the creative process of actualizing the film together. This was april 15th 2012, I never heard back from them.

Dr. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross was an American psychiatrist that proposed the famous "Five Stages of Grief" as a pattern of adjustment to loss or imminent death. I never feared my own death but I did from the beginning feared the death of my film. I feel I have gone through all the stages she describes: denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and finally acceptance.

So I moved on with my filmmaking career and my emotional life. There is only so many years (2003-2012) one can devote to a single feature documentary that is not going to change the world, so many thousands of dollars you can spend and so many tears one can cry out of self pity, exhaustion and frustration.

I remain very grateful for the opportunity to work with such great artist and for all the excitement of shooting the film and collaborating with James and his team, specially with the band members Beardy, Malcolm, Karl and Ben.

Hope this helps to understand why you can't find the film and why I am not really engaging in conversation about it.

All the Best,
Ruth Somalo

Post #257898
Posted 29 October 2014 21:54

Supreme Being

Last Login: 15 July 2016 10:31
Don't understand really all - cause of my bad English - but this is really sad I wanna see it -

I'll never forget your Concerts James...!

-  9. March 2008, Zürich

-  15. July    2008, Locarno

-  1. October 2008, Paris

-  1. November 2008, Basel

..to be continued..

Post #257901
Posted 30 October 2014 13:05

Supreme Being

Last Login: Yesterday @ 13:38
So very sad for Ruth. It's a great little film and I feel so blessed to have seen it.
All this legal, technical mumbo jumbo. Why does it all have to be so complicated?

Spinning on my heels....so far away from real <3
Post #257917
Posted 30 October 2014 13:55
Supreme Being

Last Login: 18 November 2018 17:37
This is really sad for Ruth and everyone involved with this documentary and really sad for all of us who have not had the opportunity to see the film.

What a nightmare of red tape and legal requirements Ruth has been fighting for so long! I still have hope that one day someone might see that a lot of good and positive publicity for everyone might come out of releasing this documentary and it might finally become available to us. Hopelessly optimistic perhaps, but you never know!!
Post #257918
Posted 02 November 2014 18:28

Supreme Being

It´s so sad!!!! All the hard work, times, money and emotions Ruth put in this project......
I can not understand why the music industry is such complicated

Poor Ruth, hope you will find a way back to lucky life!

I´ve never had given up my hope to see the movie at anytime in future....but now....
Post #258047
Posted 03 November 2014 07:24

Supreme Being

Last Login: 17 June 2017 15:53
the documentary can still be found - so never give up hope of seeing it! ...

Unfortunately this probably happens a lot in the music industry, it is a cold cold place at times, ruled by big sharks, whereby normal people who literally only want to do good for an artist are chased down and slowly chewed at until the idea dies!

Record companies have strange ways of working, Management companies also have strange ways of doing things, sometimes it is best to dream about doing something and live off that dream,

The fact that Ruth devoted so much time to something like the documentary, done a lot of filming, a lot of editing and all these years later still can't get through with the beautiful idea that she had, must be genuinelly really frustrating and difficult for her to find any positives from.

It sucks.

Post #258063
Posted 03 November 2014 12:54

Supreme Being

Last Login: 15 July 2016 10:31
Why can not James and the Bandmates buy all the rights on this Film? I mean all pics - music and film material is from him... - he just need to buy all the rights and bring them out on his own here on his website in the store and on the Tour!!?? - is it really all such complicated with the record companys???

I'll never forget your Concerts James...!

-  9. March 2008, Zürich

-  15. July    2008, Locarno

-  1. October 2008, Paris

-  1. November 2008, Basel

..to be continued..

Post #258071
Posted 04 November 2014 02:19

Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: 04 November 2014 23:10
A great shame, this sounds like a wonderful project - very special thoughts and so much hard work.

From what I'm reading everyone lucky enough to see this film thought it was excellent so I hope that knowledge is a good comfort to Ruth.
Post #258093
Posted 04 November 2014 08:49

Supreme Being

Last Login: 19 July 2018 17:08
It's a real shame, and it's a little scary, too... makes me feel like James doesn't totally... own himself? It makes me think about his tweet from not long ago about wanting to be rich and anonymous when he grows up. I don't know.
Post #258100
Posted 04 November 2014 20:24

Supreme Being

Last Login: 06 December 2018 08:10
There's perhaps more to the story than immediately meets the eye. The Executive Producer of TYTTS is Declan Morrell, at the time an executive at EMI, James's music publisher and the fellow who signed James. (I think there's also a personal connection between Mr. Morrell and Ms. Somalo.) There's not always good blood between the music publishers and the record labels. More importantly, the stuff that Atlantic pressured Ruth to add in isn't the kind of stuff that, in retrospect, they really want to admit to. Ahmet Ertegun died in 2006; since that time, Atlantic/Warner has completely remade itself twice over. In the music executive business, he's a long forgotten memory. And when you think about it, a lot of that early stuff is not exactly what the record company wants floating around when James is now many years older and more mature in his performances and writing; it's not the image of James that they want to project.

I agree with Ruth's assessment that it was an error in judgment to debut the documentary at a tiny festival. It pretty much eliminated it from consideration at any major film festival, something she may not have understood at the time. I'm just really grateful now that I had a chance to see it here in Toronto at another tiny film festival.

And, while James may own certain aspects of his musical product, he doesn't own the rights management for most (possibly all) of his songs. That's the nature of the music business. You'll notice that many of his co-writers are either from the same record company or the same music publishing company. This allows the labels/publishers to hold on to a larger percentage of the revenue from the songs.

Ah well, enough of my diatribes...

Annec xx
Post #258131
Posted 05 November 2014 19:27
Supreme Being

Last Login: 01 August 2018 22:05
I always hoped to see this film one day and learn a bit more about the beginning of James' career.

Very sad for everybody who put their money, time and heart into this work.
Post #259142
Posted 05 November 2014 19:34

Supreme Being

Last Login: 17 June 2017 15:53
Thanks Annec - very informative!
Post #259143
Posted 19 July 2018 17:15

Supreme Being

With the upcoming release of this documentary about Ed Sheeran, I can't help but to think of "Till You're Told To Stop". It would be awesome to make it available on Apple Music for everyone to watch, finally. Maybe it's time to make a happy ending to this long story of a wonderful documentary never released, except at 3 or 4 tiny film festivals.

'Songwriter' is an intimate and personal look into the writing process of one of the world’s biggest artists - Ed Sheeran.

Filmed by Murray Cummings, ‘Songwriter’ details the creation of Sheeran’s third studio album ‘÷’ and gives authentic insight into his life through never-before-seen home videos. Witness his creativity firsthand, from the very first chord to the finishing touch – the sounds become the songs.

On August 28th, exclusively on Apple Music.

Ed Sheeran - 'Songwriter' [Official Trailer]
https://youtu.be/FNa1In1D1xQ

Post #286409
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

All times are GMT, Time now is 8:00am