James Blunt

Please also select your country:

Confirm your location by clicking on the relevant flag above.

Do not show me this message again.

Home       Members    Calendar
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Bath Life - The Big Interview Expand / Collapse
Author

Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 14 December 2018 21:59
Bath Life is a free magazine: "We hand deliver every issue of Bath Life to 6,000 homes across the city and surrounding villages, while you'll also find an additional 4,000 copies dotted around the city, in our leading hotels, estate agents, boutiques, coffee shops, restaurants, gastropubs and many indie businesses besides."

Bath Life, Issue 372, 17-31 August 2018, pages 52-56.

Four pages are dedicated to James ahead of his concert in Bath on September 15th.

Available to read on ISSUU:

https://issuu.com/mediaclash/docs/bl372_final/52

Post #286666
Posted 27 August 2018 18:01

Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 14 December 2018 21:59
- Full text -

Bath Life Magazine, Issue 372, 17-31 August 2018, p. 52-56

The Big Interview
James Blunt has sold over 20 million albums worldwide and 12,8 million singles, and, when he's not playing or selling records, he's a comedic Twitter all-star. Ahead of his performance at Bath Racecourse, he talks to us about his latest album, working with Ed Sheeran, and THAT song…

Words by Lauren Scott

When James Hillier Blount (no that's not a misprint, it's the singer's real name, pronounced in the same way) was little, he wanted to be one of two things: in the army, or a musician. As a singer-songwriter of five international bestselling albums and a former British Army officer, he's now done both. And what does he want to be when he grows up? "Still alive, would be just great."

In the less distant future, he's excited about visiting our city (Bath Racecourse, to be precise) for a day of drinks, jollity and pop music. We catch up with James early one morning to find out more…

Hi James. Thanks for taking the time to talk to us…
Well, it's a pleasure, and I'm looking forward to coming and seeing you guys in September.

Back to Bedlam is 14 years old now, and it won an NME award for worst album. Apart from taking to Twitter, how do you deal with criticism?
Well, the NME has gone bust now, and I seem to still be going… I'm on my fifth world tour, which employs a load of people and seems to be going rather well. Whereas, Twitter doesn't really appear to be anything. No, Twitter is more of a hobby, and it's very much still all about the music.

What would be a good theme song for your life?
Well I've got one big hit… [he's talking about You're Beautiful, of course] so that would probably be the one.

Let's move on to the new album, which you toured last year. For anyone who hasn't listened to The Afterlove, could you talk us throught it?
Yeah. It's [insert word we can't print] great. You should definitely get it, it's the best thing you'll get this year. I think it'll surprise people, as it isn't just one guy on a guitar, singing sad songs.

You collaborated with a few famous names, too, didn't you?
I worked with a dream team of people to make it, some famous ones like Ed Sheeran and Ryan Tedder of One Republic, but also some phenomenal musicians who I was recording with. Lots happened to me during the time I wrote it – some inspiring, some tragic. And all of that is wrapped up in a very special record.

Wow. So how did those kinds of collaborations come about?
Well, we passed by, and we gave each other a call and thought we should work together. Ryan was passing through London, and said, "James, just come and meet me in my hotel room and let's make a noise until the neighbours complain."

And did they complain?
Absolutely.

What's your favourite track on the album?
I love the song California, because it sounds cool… and I've always wanted to be cool. There's a song called Don't Give Me Those Eyes, which is very sad.

You studied at the University of Bristol. Does this mean you know Bath well?
Yes, pretty well. I did aerospace manufacturing engineering at Bristol (which I couldn't spell) and this took me to the area for a few years. I had mates in Bath, so I was there a fair bit. I still have friends that live just outside. It's just a beautiful place, isn't it?

It is. Are you looking forward to playing at Bath Racecourse?
You know what? I absolutely love the Racecourse gigs. I haven't played at Bath before, but I've been in a bunch of others, at Newmarket, Epsom and Doncaster. It's such a great day, with people watching the racing, having a drink or two and throwing on a concert at the end. It's such a nice way to end what is a great day out.

So what can your fans expect on the day?
When you buy a ticket to see someone, you don't just want to hear their new album. It'll be a mix of everything. While I want to bring some elements from the Afterlove tour, I know that people want to hear You're Beautiful, Goodbye My Lover, 1973 and everything else that they might have heard on the radio.

And what would you like the good people of Bath to bring?
Well, I expect they'll go mental. I get out there with a band and there are five of us on stage. This often surprises people, as they expect a downtempo show, but it's not. My band almost makes me look like a rock star, but not quite. We have a blast on stage, and we know what we're doing by now. I just expect people to join in.

Will you have any free time while you're here?
I'm only going to be down for the day, unfortunately, so I might put a little bet on and enjoy a day out at the races.

And when will you be back to Bath?
I'm just not sure… probably the next time you invite me.

Quick-fire round

Glass half-empty or half-full?
I normally keep mine pretty topped up.

What's one of the most outrageous rumours you've heard about yourself lately?
That I'm wearing women's underwear. That would be true.

If you were trapped in a TV show for a month, what would it be?
I haven't ever watched it, but Love Island could be pretty fun.

Day at the races
James is coming to Bath Racecourse for a not-to-be-missed event. Pop along for a day at the races, before dancing into the evening with James in concert for an action-packed day out. He'll be playing after the racing on 15 September. For more: www.vmstickets.co.uk

Post #286670
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

All times are GMT, Time now is 7:24pm