James Blunt

Please also select your country:

Confirm your location by clicking on the relevant flag above.

Do not show me this message again.

Home       Members    Calendar
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Courtney's Song Expand / Collapse
Author

Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 21:27
'Courtney's Song' is the 11th track on the album 'The Afterlove' Extended Version, to be released on 24th March 2017.

Post #281844
Posted 23 March 2017 22:17

Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Last Login: 20 July 2017 21:57
I've just listened to it and I can't stop crying!! Holy Shit, this is deep stuff.
Post #282235
Posted 24 March 2017 13:10

Supreme Being

I'm listening to the new album on Spotify until I can get my hands on the real thing later today. This song hit me like a ton of bricks. Pretty sure it's the one that will be played tomorrow at Carrie Fisher's memorial.

Lyrics & credits as published in the CD booklet for 'The Afterlove'

Courtney's Song

There's still a light on your table.
There's still your name on my phone.
I can't believe I'm not able,
To call.
We met in a beautiful place.
You danced, I talked.
I go back there every single day.
I'm still there, but you're not.

You lit me up, and you let me inside.
Then you disappeared with no warning sign.
You broke more than my heart,
When you left without saying goodbye.
I'm here to let you know,
I'm here to let you go.

There's still your voice in my memory.
There's still the way that you move.
I can't believe that's the way out,
You choose.
We live in a beautiful world.
We dance, we talk.
I found a girl and she's stayed with me.
She's here, and you're not.

You lit me up, and you led me inside.
Then you disappeared with no warning sign.
You broke more than my heart,
When you left without saying goodbye.
I'm here to let you know,
I'm here to let you go.

We live. We breathe. We hope. We bleed. We love. We lose. We die.

Credits:
Written by James Blunt and Johnny McDaid
Published by EMI Music Publishing (BMI) administered by Sony/ATV; and Polar Patrol Publishing/Spirit/B-Unique (BMI) administered by Kobalt Music Ltd.
Produced by Martin Terefe
Mixed by Tony Maserati
Engineered by Oskar Winberg
Assistant Engineer: Emil Romer
Vocals: James Blunt
Organ, Keyboards: Johnny McDaid
Electric Guitar: Luke Potashnick
Drums: Kristoffer Sonne
Bass: Martin Terefe
Piano: Chris Pemberton
Recorded at Kensaltown Recording Studios, London UK
Mastered by Stuart Hawkes at Metropolis, London UK

Post #282261
Posted 24 March 2017 13:53

Supreme Being

Last Login: Today @ 15:43
This must be the song dedicated to the lovely Carrie Fisher.............beautiful
Post #282263
Posted 24 March 2017 14:04

Supreme Being

Last Login: 27 July 2017 22:18
It is a beautiful song and a wonderful tribute to Carrie Fisher - from the heart and very moving.
Post #282264
Posted 25 March 2017 15:11

Supreme Being

Last Login: 17 July 2017 22:16
What a wonderful tribute to The Landlady. For many artists the way to heal and work through grief is through their work. I am so glad he chose to share this with all of us.... and I can only image how much her unexpected death affected him.
Post #282311
Posted 27 March 2017 14:07

Supreme Being

Last Login: 15 August 2017 16:05
Oh...dear.
I hear this as more than a tribute to Carrie.

This is a goodbye to someone special. Sad.

Spinning on my heels....so far away from real <3
Post #282364
Posted 27 March 2017 15:30

Supreme Being

Last Login: Today @ 20:05
A really beautiful tribute. It's one of my favourites.

ETA: This song hits me harder each time I listened. I feel a deep sense of loss, then acceptance of reality and a strong resolve to move forward. I hope for all of us, that in time, whatever we may have experienced, that the memories we hold will churn and mellow into something sweet. Peace

Love the part:
"We live, we breathe, we hope, we bleed, we love, we lose, we die."
Post #282367
Posted 15 April 2017 23:11

Supreme Being

Last Login: Today @ 20:37
Missing my dad like crazy... I have his number on my phone and I can't call him, this tear me apart everyday, I try but I can't forget the face of the death. So this is the song that makes me cry more, like never before, thanks for making other songs that rise the spirit.

(I'm sorry, I can't say this to my family coz they need me, and as few of you know me, I dare to let out what hurts me.)
Post #282816
Posted 16 April 2017 18:44

Supreme Being

Aww roarrig, bless you, i feel your pain honey, you shouldn't bottle up your grief, you can e mail or PM me if you like and unload your grief, any time babe ok
Post #282819
Posted 16 April 2017 21:37

Supreme Being

So so sorry roarrig - I really know how you feel.

I lost my father at the end of November last year and it is horrible. As time goes by the more I miss him more and so wish I could see him although it is a comfort he is no longer suffering. Courtney's Song is very poignant to listen to - I will always have his number on my phone. Carry You Home finishes me off but it is good to let the grief out.

I am sure your father is watching over you and very proud of you.

You are not alone. Sending you lots of love and big hugs. Take care xxx
Post #282820
Posted 16 April 2017 22:10

Supreme Being

That was really nice Rebecca

You know the same goes for you too
Post #282822
Posted 17 April 2017 03:13

Supreme Being

Last Login: Today @ 02:35
I think Trinity is right, this is a song about someone very special to James. It's not, however, about Carrie Fisher; the song was written and recorded, and selected for the album, long before her untimely demise. I think it was incredibly loving of James to remember Carrie by arranging the first public performance of the song at the memorial service for Carrie and her mother.

Like many others, this song hit home for me. There *are* names on my phone of friends and family who are no longer with us (including one I used to make phone-homes to), and I still have dreams of loved ones who have passed, where their voice is as strong as ever, telling stories we both love and reassuring me that all will be well.

It's quite possible this is the most universal song that James has released. Even if one views it from the perspective of a suddenly disappearing friend or lover (and indeed I can think of one or two of those in my life), just about every adult has lived through this more than once.

That it has a great melody, great closing chorus, and really well-written lyrics, only brings it closer to our hearts.

Annec xx
Post #282823
Posted 17 April 2017 03:27

Supreme Being

I really appreciate your words, Lonelydancer and Rebecca1977, it's something I didn't imagine would affect me in such a way. My dad also died in November, but the year before. He died abruptly when we were talking, it was a stroke and I wasn't ready to see him die in front of my eyes. I tried to be strong for my mother, but I think sooner or later the sadness came to fruition.

In truth it is a very beautiful song, that takes on a greater sense when you experience these situations.

Lonelydancer, I will write to you, as soon as I can, thank you so much, you are the best!! XX
Post #282824
Posted 17 April 2017 06:08

Supreme Being

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 11:24
Rooring I understand your pain I lost a brother his children lost a woderful dad my mum lost a son. We have a great understanding that one day we will die and I know in my heart he wouldnt want us to be sad he was that kind it would brake his heart so we all smile with a tensh of sadess and try once a day to fell his uncondencal love. I make all my films with him in mind one day we will meet again.
Post #282825
Posted 17 April 2017 06:14

Supreme Being

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 11:24
God has a funny way of working he sends you someone that brings sunlight to your heart to ease the pain. Open your eyes
Post #282826
Posted 17 April 2017 13:21

Supreme Being

I think this song has touched everyone's hearts, including mine, some more than others but we all know the feeling of not being able to pick that phone up and talk to them, my dad died when i was just 14 but i still miss him now, of course the shock and grief has eased but there will always be times when i want to tell him something or ask him something, he had such a great sense of humour and i miss that so much

I think the best thing to do is to talk about them, whenever you can, i am lucky i have 3 sisters and we often all get together and we have a great laugh about the things he did and said, he had a lot of one liners that we have all remembered, we also have a good cry too, my mum doesn't always remember him, she is almost 90 now and she has dementia which has been very difficult too but some days she will remember him and talk about him

Memories are the best thing ever, without those we would never be able to grieve, so let your feelings out, don't bottle them up and Roarrig i look forward to hearing from you hun
Post #282831
Posted 17 April 2017 16:42

Supreme Being

My father passed away 19 years ago, every year since on the anniversary of his death, my siblings and I gather for a meal. We ate his favorite foods and retold stories from our childhood. Laughing, bickering over what he meant by this or that; sometimes arguing, crying over painful memories; but most of the time we agree and are grateful for the teaching of his values and philosophies in life, which has helped us to get up after each fall.

I think talking with others about your memories of your father will help to process the pain. Don't bottle it up, share your memories with others, and they might tell you a story you never knew about your own father. Though he is gone, you might find that his life still resonate in the way that a family member thinks, or in the way a particular dish is prepared, or find beauty in the tenacity of life, or compassion for those less fortunate. For sure, his presence can still be felt.

Post #282833
Posted 17 April 2017 19:31

Supreme Being

Very wise words all and sending you all big hugs.

We will cry, we will laugh and our loved ones will always be in our hearts and live on in our memories.
Post #282838
Posted 17 April 2017 21:47

Supreme Being

Yes they most certainly will Rebecca

Lovely story InnerSense
Post #282843
Posted 18 April 2017 15:34

Supreme Being

Thanks lonelydancer . It's the same things you posted earlier, but thought, why not add my voice to that because that's also been my experience.
Post #282856
Posted 18 April 2017 15:42

Supreme Being

Last Login: 17 June 2017 14:32
The song is lovely but who is Courtney? I am also here if anyone wants to talk. I lost my dad many years ago. The hardest thing I have ever gone through. It was my first real loss and I cried for a year. Literally. Time really does heal but it's hell getting to that point. Hugs to all. It's hard to understand unless you go through it. Life is never really the same but we have to go on and cherish their memory. It's all we can do.

Also, the end of the song, we live, we breathe...etc...am I crazy or is something very similar to that in another song? It's bugging the hell out of me but I think so. If I can figure out which song it is I will let you know. lol

It's a pretty song but if I'm honest it makes me jittery because it's a very slow moving song. I'm a bit hyper so it's probably just me.
Post #282858
Posted 25 April 2017 01:57

Supreme Being

Last Login: 28 June 2017 18:54
This song is interesting with its layers and different sounds. Little flashes of it catch me a bit as Mum had passed away just under 2yrs ago and flickers in the song take me right back there.

Personally, I don't believe that time heals, it just distances us from events which appear softer the further away we stand.

I agree with you LD when you say it's good to keep talking about people who aren't around any more. I find it helps keep me half balanced at least.

Post #282940
Posted 25 April 2017 20:09

Supreme Being

Glad you agree Cool and i'm sorry for your loss.
Post #282945
Posted 01 May 2017 17:05

Supreme Being

Last Login: 17 July 2017 22:16
cool as a cucumber (25/04/2017)

Personally, I don't believe that time heals, it just distances us from events which appear softer the further away we stand.

Splendidly stated. I hope you don't mind Cool, but I would like to jot that down in my journal of sayings.

Annec, I suppose you are right that it wasn't written for Carrie - the timing would have had to have been last minute. However, it sure does fit, doesn't it? Just as many on here have expressed the personal affect this song has impressed upon each of us based on our own life experiences is profound.

(I, too, still have that phone home number on my phone as well...)
Post #283041
Posted 11 May 2017 17:22

Supreme Being

It's true, at some point I thought that the pain would go away and disappear, but the truth is that it is still there, a little more distant, but always present. Sometimes I feel as if I walk on a battlefield, with a cleft arrow between my chest and a shoulder, wounded, hoping that other arrows will not reach me yet, but probably at some point they will, because it is very unlikely that I can avoid them, if you know what I'm trying to say

And I also find that talking is the best therapy
Post #283117
Posted 10 August 2017 18:34

Supreme Being

New video fan-made released today. Directed by Simon Dymond.

https://youtu.be/D-cPwHBqG-w

Music Video Director and Fine Art grad. Director of @washclubfilm. Member of Bafta Crew.
United Kingdom

www.simondymond.com

Post #283894
Posted 11 August 2017 16:16
Supreme Being

Last Login: 11 August 2017 16:12
Hi,

Thank you for all your post.

I love this song.

I think lots of people can relate to this song.

Including me, I lots my mum and I was to late to say goodbye to my mum before she passed away.
Post #283904
Prev Topic | Next Topic

All times are GMT, Time now is 8:52pm