James Blunt

Please also select your country:

Confirm your location by clicking on the relevant flag above.

Do not show me this message again.

Home       Members    Calendar
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

««1234»»»

Love Me Better Expand / Collapse
Author

Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 20:43
I take the word of this superfan of Ryan Tedder and assume it's him singing in the song.

https://twitter.com/OneRepublican1R/status/825069716343554052

RyanTedder_FanPage ‏@OneRepublican1R 21h21 hours ago
@RyanTedder co-wrote & produced the new James Blunt's single "Love me better" U can clearly hear him in the chorus😀(listen to it on Spotify)

Post #279134
Posted 28 January 2017 19:02

Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Last Login: 19 July 2018 17:08
Sunlight (28/01/2017)
Well, you guys may not like what I am going to say, Billy you can delete this if you think it may be harmful to James' image.

Firstly, James warned us his album was going to be different from past albums. The thing is , James has a lot of fans buying his music because they like that sort of music, so to put out something different is risky. The idea may have been to win new fans who are swayed by that type of music, for instance it smells heavily of The Chainsmokers. But his fans he has had for a decade or more may not like it, or pretend they do, but won't play it, and grow to associate James with music they don't like, and eventually switch off from him completely. He may win new fans but they may not be as committed as his loyal fans who have been around since day one. OneRepublic totally changed their music with their new album Oh My My, but why? Counting Stars was a number one, if they had made more music like that they may have got their last three singles in the top ten, who knows, its not always a good idea to do something different.

Secondly, it has someone else singing the falsetto. It may be Ryan Tedder, after all James said in his email they wrote it together, but it hardly sounds like Ryan Tedder, but it could be, but then its not James, so is offputting.

Thirdly, he talks of people saying he is a dick, and he says he has a wandering eye. Now you wouldn't put that on your CV so why sing about it. Not a good idea.

Fourthly, the lyrics are confusing. The message is confusing. Is the woman in his bed the one who loves him better or is he still wanting the woman who he saw on the train, the one outside the bar? But knowing he is married adds to the confusion even more. Anyway the part about being in the car going to her sisters is a turnoff.

I do like the unusual music that is threaded throughout the song in the background, but I do hope it is a hit for James' sake.

Honestly Sunlight, I think there's room for each and every opinion here, I don't see why your comment would be deleted.

This being said, I have to say I don't necessarily agree with you. I was a huge fan from the very beginning, and I have to admit BTB will always be special to me and ML will be too because I think it is very close to James's beginnings in terms of style, but I LOVE the fact that he is able to work on so many different things, to switch from one style to another. I love being part of that journey, he was the age I am now when he started and these last 13 years have been full of changes for him, as they have for everyone else, and I love how he shows us how eclectic, changeable and downright brilliant his work can be.

I mean, I don't know many singers who can switch from one style to another just like that.

He said yesterday in an interview that he loves writing songs and he has written about 100 songs over these last few years, but wanted to offer us the best he could. I am sure we will find James's style in other songs, and if we don't - man, I love it when people take chances, when they go for something different just because they feel like it, when they dare to stray further from what's expected of them just because it makes them happy, and they feel like they can.

I don't know, it may be a part of me, after all, I am in my early thirties and I've changed jobs and locations more often than I'd like to admit. Maybe that's why I think it's brilliant to just go ahead and take a shot at whatever you want to do. But while I agree it's not always a good idea, I think he was right to do it and I, personally, love it.

Secondly, I know we all want to feel like we're somewhat "special" because we've been around from the very beginning but I think our personal journeys are special. The fact that he is a part of our lives and the very fact we're even here discussing his new song is incredibly special. We're committed to him but we're not a part of his life, I don't think he actually owes us anything. Not on a creative level at any rate. I don't see why new fans would be such a bad thing. They would be a breath of fresh air, give people an opportunity to rethink their stand on James as a singer.

As to your third and fourth points: I have to admit I wasn't sure I subscribed to the lyrics at first. But what bothered me was that I felt sorry for the other girls, the ones before his wife, because they were "lesser". I know you shouldn't take them at face value, he said it often enough that whatever he sang about wasn't necessarily an reflection of his real everyday life, but I would be so hurt to be told I am "lesser" than anyone, just because I couldn't love them as they wanted me to. I mean, as a person, you don't ever want to be told you're less of a person, do you?

To be honest, I think it is a catchy, down to earth, somewhat sweet, interesting song that'll sound great in the gigs and makes me want to hear more.
Post #279135
Posted 28 January 2017 19:47

Supreme Being

Last Login: 29 March 2017 16:20
@Prunilla

when people read lesser, they often think of it as inferior.... a downgrade of some sorts, that has no value..

But if you think about it... perhaps he is just singing about a lesser love, because both partners are not fully into it...
Love is a journey, we test, try, fail and hopefully one day find that love that fills up every gap and completes us...

Any partner that does not do that is in the end lesser than we would want for ourselves.. and with that, we would then also be lesser for that partner, because we wouldn't commit fully to that partner.
But that does not make anyone a lesser person...
Post #279136
Posted 28 January 2017 22:14

Supreme Being

Last Login: 10 December 2018 12:57
I totally agree that everyone is entitled to an opinion, i do love the new song but it is very different for James, i too hang on to BTB, that was a very special time for me, Moonlanding too

There are a few people, like me, that don't normally like change, yes, i know, i'm getting old but that doesn't mean that James shouldn't change his style, good for him for going with it, it's a very brave thing to do but i can't tell how different this time round will be until i hear the album, then i will decide, like many other people, but as some people have already said that he may attract a new fan base, that's not a bad thing and for all the one's that have been there since the beginning, including myself, will always have very special times in their hearts...forever!! Nobody will ever take those memories and experiences away, they will always be there and if we decide to stop following James there will be the new fan base for James to entertain, what will be will be

James life experiences have all changed now so the music is bound to be different, lets all just look forward to the new album
Post #279138
Posted 28 January 2017 23:01

Supreme Being

Last Login: 19 November 2017 14:37
Strangely, Ryan Tedder hasn't tweeted about the song yet either with his @RyanTedder account or his @OneRepublic account.

The lyrics seem to imply what is important to James, is not his lovers personality, or intelligence, or body, or worth, but how much she loves him. Or at least his concept of how much she loves him. Not sure this is admirable. The lyrics seem to imply he wants someone who dotes on him, or worships him. And the person who shows him the most love is the most worthy. This has connotations with the Shakespeare play King Lear.

I don't believe the person he is singing to is his wife, but someone else, who he believes loves him better.

He probably had a short amount of time to write the song and the lyrics as it was written fitting into Ryan Tedder's busy schedule, so are probably making deeper analysis of the song that it deserves.

I personally want to hear three words from James, 'I Love You' , not 'She loves me better'
Post #279140
Posted 28 January 2017 23:30

Supreme Being

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 20:43
I like this lyrics video, well done!

https://youtu.be/n5Q85u5RDrE

Oops! Edited 01/02/2017
It seems it wasn't approved by Atlantic Records as it's been deleted.
Post #279141
Posted 28 January 2017 23:33

Supreme Being

Last Login: 02 December 2018 12:13
I don't think you'll ever hear that sunlight
Post #279142
Posted 28 January 2017 23:49

Supreme Being

Maybe it's love me better as in make me better or kiss it better. Not as in better than anyone else. But that's why we are here discussing what the lyrics mean.
Post #279143
Posted 29 January 2017 09:04

Supreme Being

No I won't hear those words He has a very beautiful intelligent wife, and now a bouncing baby boy. Happy for him
Post #279146
Posted 29 January 2017 09:12

Supreme Being

Me too, jealous as hell, but so happy he's happy.
Post #279147
Posted 29 January 2017 09:30

Supreme Being

@Loraline_nl I should have mentioned the fact that I am the kind of person people love to hate: I met my now-husband in my early teens, and he was my first and only love (should I say "so far"? I mean, some people are going to think I have a false sense of security and maybe I have, but having overcome all that we've overcome in our 20s, I am finding it hard to imagine some other greater obstacle might break us up). Anyway, that is probably why I have trouble imagining / understanding / accepting the idea of a lesser love. I do get what you're saying though, and now I am thinking my previous answer was missing something .

@Sunlight, I knew I was forgetting something yesterday, and you nailed it: we're probably reading much more into it than we should. As we usually do !

@wknic, I thought of that possibility about "love me better" too, and I like it... better . I mean, I DO like the song, but at first I thought the whole "you love me better" thing was a bit... narcissistic ? But then again, aren't we all a bit narcissistic when it comes to love?

Post #279148
Posted 29 January 2017 10:35

Supreme Being

Wow Prunilla what a question
Surely narcissism is the opposite of love. I don't see narcissism I see honesty the ethos of love is surely altruistic?
Post #279151
Posted 29 January 2017 12:15

Supreme Being

Well, I mean... how many people do you know who say their "other half" (blah, hate that saying) makes them "a better person"? I know so many of them (and to be honest, I miiiight be one of them )

I think it can't be truly altruistic because you actually almost always get something out of loving someone.
Post #279154
Posted 29 January 2017 17:51

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 31 January 2017 14:39
I agree with Sunlight. I don't like it at all that he speaks of "lesser people". I don't like the lyrics, they are condescending towards past lovers and also banal, I don't like the music.... I am so very very very disappointed.
Post #279162
Posted 29 January 2017 18:58

Supreme Being

For me it's hard to be objective anymore I think some others find this too. Straight to psychoanalysis of the lyrics whereas 'normal' people will hear a song and find some resonance to their own lives or feelings. Looking at the bigger picture wouldn't every woman want to be told they love better than anyone before?
"Do not compare yourself to others for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself." Quote from Desiderata by anon.

Post #279163
Posted 29 January 2017 20:28

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 31 January 2017 14:39
The question is, what is the criterion for being better or lesser? When I compare myself to others in different aspects, of course there are always better and lesser people. I only need to think of how bad I am at sports. But that does not disqualify me as a lesser person (I hope).

In the song the past lovers are called lesser people - in which respect? To me it sounds as if the singer disqualifies his former lovers generally as human beings, because they were not able to love him well enough.

My interpretation, which is contrary to what the songwriter (James?) intended: In the past the singer was mean and did not love his former lovers well enough, and now he pretends THEY were not able to love him well enough and disqualifes them as something lesser.

Too much interpretation, I know. It is just that I am so so so disappointed about this song.
Post #279164
Posted 29 January 2017 20:31

JB.com Admin

JB.com AdminJB.com AdminJB.com AdminJB.com AdminJB.com AdminJB.com AdminJB.com AdminJB.com Admin

Group: Administrators
Last Login: 10 December 2018 21:36
Hi Sunlight,

Your opinion is always welcome here, and your honesty is completely respected. I wouldn't dream of deleting your post!

As for lyrics, James has been called far worse than a dick, so it may be uncomfortable to hear, but maybe that's his point... It must have been uncomfortable for him too. As for "lesser", the lyrics talk of shallow nights, and so I'm guessing they mean those people and those short term liaisons meant less to him than the person who loved/made him better.

James said he was trying out new sounds. Some people will like them, and some may not. Either way, I'm pretty certain they'll be songs on the album for everyone - from Bedlamites and beyond. I think James just wasn't keen to do a whole album of ballads. Let's see!

Billy

Post #279165
Posted 29 January 2017 20:34

Supreme Being

Last Login: 11 November 2017 14:32
Hi there. Been a while. I got an email for this song and of course I can't resist a discussion about song lyrics. So not sure where to begin. Um...did he say dick? lol Not sure about that one. Who wants to sing along with a song and say dick?? It's bizarre. Anyway, I agree with the comments regarding the 'lesser' term. Not crazy about that phrasing and actually not really mad about the song in general but it's just a little song and not something worth getting disappointed over. There are far more important things to get disappointed over. Such as the US election....but we won't go there.

Also, not sure what James was even going for with this song. It's confusing. The music sounds like he was trying to go a bit electronic/dance music but the lyrics are not what I would expect for that kind of music. It will be interesting to hear the rest of the album.

Also, I do believe it's the first song that James had someone else singing in it. That's really something new. I guess it's Ryan singing the chorus? Can't James get up to the high notes anymore or what? I don't know but I think he's trying to be a bit more bad@$$ with the lyrics. I am feeling a little lost about the whole thing but hey, it is what it is. Change can be good but I am hoping for some more of his usual sappy stuff. I want some beautiful piano, guitar and vocals, damn it. lol I think maybe he is trying to break out of that but baby steps is a good thing.
Post #279166
Posted 29 January 2017 20:54
Supreme Being

Last Login: 29 March 2017 22:49
Interseting discussion about the lyrics I don't think James is trying to disparage anybody, it's not his style. It's just that now that he has find his true love, he thinks she's better than the previous lovers
Post #279168
Posted 29 January 2017 22:42

Supreme Being

Maybe it is true that only 'misery sells' I saw it in the journalistic sense but always hoped the wider world was different.
Post #279169
Posted 30 January 2017 08:28

Last Login: 03 June 2018 10:51
HaHa! This is the ultimate "sucking up" song to his wife! (I hope that's not lost in translation!)
He should be just saying this to her. It made me feel uncomfortable.
Post #279170
Posted 30 January 2017 12:25

Supreme Being

Hi Billy, thanks for your understanding.

Let's blame Ryan Tedder shall we?
Post #279174
Posted 30 January 2017 17:38

Supreme Being

Last Login: 03 July 2018 21:42
On first listen, I thought this song is clear and straight forward, about how he was struggling, then she came along and her love healed him (love him better). The lyrics seems to go out of it's way to clarify that 'she' is his wife. I thought the lyrics so clear that it didn't need rehashing, but I enjoy these different interpretations, hmmm ...

I hear a song that isn't meant to melt a woman's heart, but rather words that a man might express truthfully. I think most men can related to being savaged by other men, and the uncertainty of finding a fulfilling love, a home in someone's heart; then imagine, to finally come in from a cold rainy night, to have a warm towel straight from the dryer wrapped around you. Just imagine the relief. (My heart hurts a bit. )

For me greater / lesser people are a reality. There are people smarter, more beautiful, gentler, more compassionate, more inspired, more creative, more talented, more proactive ... just more than me in every sense. I've met them, and they are truly wonderful. I can't help but love them and hope they love me a little too. If God can hear me, he can equalize my blessings by giving me a lottery win, a jack pot would do it.

As for greater or lesser love, that's a reality too. There are certainly people I love more than any other. Past loves that enriched me more than others. It's just how two people fit. There's nothing more fair than love. Why hate someone for not loving you, can you hate yourself for not loving someone else?

Ideally, every person should be equal in the eye of the law. Being more worthy or less worthy in the eye of the law is what is truly offensive.

ETA: Why would it be offensive for one man to love his wife more than any other? Shouldn't past loves hold less importance in his heart? Why can't we be happy that he's finally found something we all want in our own lives?
Post #279179
Posted 30 January 2017 18:29

Supreme Being

Last Login: 23 November 2018 23:09
This song makes total sence much of his songs are about past love or idealel love. He is saying that she is more than the others will so she should be he married her. So why are people so surprised and he has made it quite clear he is not interested in any of hes exs by the sounds there was a lot of them. Someone that makes him betters she needs a medel. That would be a hard thing to do after hearing only pain in his music and then out of no where this happy man appears. Love this song. Heres a little poem for them.
May your hearts grow founder
May you eyes only see each other
May you speed over the humps
And stay truly in love with each other.
For know you have little eyes that look at yous.
Who sees the real you.

Post #279180
Posted 31 January 2017 01:56

Supreme Being

Last Login: 29 May 2017 18:45
Too much Ed Sheeran. I don't like Ed Sheeran music.
It's boring, i just feel like sleeping with his music.
If the entire album album will be like this one all i can say is : Lack of originality !

I dont like this music . Doesn't ring a bell on me ! And the part of the chorus is quite annoying.

As far as lyrics concerns; he found the supreme godess on love and he wants the world know that.
How happy he is with her.The world and other woman who hurt him with mean words .
He says he doesn't care about what they think but he reveals the opposite,by writting about it and saying " that don't mean it doesn't sting."
And to me reveals poverty of spirit and extreme arrogance to label better and lesser people. All human beings are greater.
Some stand out in some areas than others.
All love experiences are good some how and teaches very important lessons. Doesnt they ???
This guy lives in a horrible illusion if he believes in what is writing in this song?!
How sweet is the illusion of love in the beginning !!!

I thought Billy was the dick one ! After all was you too !

Be true to yourself !

Post #279183
Posted 31 January 2017 10:35

Supreme Being

I think James' voice sounds really real in this song. Not that it wasn't real before.
I can see the change in style this music is much more melodic. I'm no musician but I really appreciate the change of beat. Before it was always a kind of two step beat but Love Me Better has a mixed up multiple beat with layers of melody.
Post #279185
Posted 31 January 2017 16:54

Supreme Being

Last Login: 07 September 2018 09:03
Hallo everyone,

after a few days listening to this song, I think it sounds a little bit like One Republic. "Bonfire Heart" was also written with Ryan Tedder, wasn't it? But I could not hear the influence of him as much, as I can hear it now, in "Love me better".

It is a catchy song, the lyrics are easy to sing along with. I wonder, how this song will sound live?
And the video looks nice so far.

Can't wait to listen to the new album. I love Ed Sheeran music. I am really excited.

It is great to see discussions in this forum again!

Post #279192
Posted 31 January 2017 20:58
Supreme Being

Last Login: 24 November 2018 17:39
The song is played daily on the Radio Station Antenne Brandenburg.
Seldom is it played on Spreeradio. They prefer to play twice a day HtH, Postcards or WIFLA or a mix of them.
Post #279196
Posted 31 January 2017 21:32

Supreme Being

Last Login: 29 March 2017 16:20
@Innersense

......For me greater / lesser people are a reality. There are people smarter, more beautiful, gentler, more compassionate, more inspired, more creative, more talented, more proactive ... just more than me in every sense. I've met them, and they are truly wonderful. I can't help but love them and hope they love me a little too. If God can hear me, he can equalize my blessings by giving me a lottery win, a jack pot would do it. [Wink] ......

Honey, never believe talent makes somebody more/greater...

What people do with the talent they have been give, is what can make them great.... but never greater...

Who is to say singing is a greater talent or can make somebody greater than somebody who is good at cleaning the house?? Different talents, but both useful in their own way...

You can make somebody happy and feel great by singing a song they love when they can't sing that beautiful themselves...

And you can make somebody happy and feel great by cleaning their bathroom, when they can't do that themselves....

As for the narcism mentioned in other posts... it is not opposite of love..
Narcism is more self projected love, a kind of incapability to love somebody else

as for loving somebody else, hate would be a better opposite..

And I do not believe in lesser as qualification for people... people may do things that are considered as lesser/greater behavior... but that is what they do... not necessarily who they are
Everybody makes mistakes, no doubt everybody in this forum has at one time or another said something not so nice to somebody...
That does not make you a lesser person.. it makes you human.

Post #279200
Posted 01 February 2017 15:21
Supreme Being

Last Login: 24 November 2018 17:39
I think it is an interesting sound with a potential of a recognition value that stands out from the mass of other tone. I did not fall in love with LMB at the first time, but maybe if I rehear the song more often we’ll become friends. (The same happened with the song Heart to Heart.) But for me it is not so difficult to adjust to the new style, because I started following J. B. since SKOT and I love it still today, although it is different from the first both albums. I also love extremely much the songs Hollywood, Telephone, Kiss this love Goodbye, that also have another style.

Missing foreign languages can be really disadvantageous usually , but sometimes it is also an advantage not to be familiar with another language. So it is possible to enjoy the music without having to evaluate the lyrics. In this case the lyrics don’t play a role and is only background (replaced quasi backstage without a possibility to step in).
But when the lyrics to be seen written down and unknown words and phrases were translated (like treating water e.g.) a train of thoughts starts its journey through the mind. Relating to the LMB lyrics I completely agree to the fact that writing the song took him really only 3 hours, maybe even in a rollicking slightly boozed mood among his co-writer(s).

Life is a journey that needs enhancements and change. Stagnancy can lead to a deadlock sometimes (like treating water - love this new learnt phrase) for an artist. (Recently a German actor was asked in an interview why he left his successful repertoire and changed to another business. He tried to express it simple in the following way: ‘You love eating chip potatoes and curry sausage extremely much, but could you imagine eating that every day for the next 20 years?’ Trying something new based on good skills and experiences without losing oneself this can be like a tightrope walk. But it is the better way than to stop the entire business if the interest and enthusiasm start to die step by step.
Post #279204
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

««1234»»»

All times are GMT, Time now is 8:54pm