James Blunt

Please also select your country:

Confirm your location by clicking on the relevant flag above.

Do not show me this message again.

Home       Members    Calendar
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

'You're Pitiful' - Al Yankovic's parody Expand / Collapse
Author

Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 17 January 2019 19:43
I couldn't find a thread dedicated to this parody on the current forum nor on the old message board. This story dates back in 2006 but it seems it doesn't want to die. The American comedian Al Yankovic tweeted this last week:

https://twitter.com/alyankovic/status/776047543935434752

Al Yankovic ‏@alyankovic Sep 14
Sadly, @JamesBlunt won’t let me include “You’re Pitiful” on my box set. So you’ll just have to download it for FREE: http://bit.ly/2cmlCS1

~~~

http://www.dailydot.com/unclick/weird-al-james-blunt-pitiful-owned/

'Weird Al' Yankovic just owned James Blunt super hard online
The Daily Dot, Jay Hathaway — Sept 14

Legendary parody musician "Weird Al" Yankovic has a well-known policy of asking for the blessing of the artists he spoofs, despite not being legally required to do so. Only "two to three percent" have ever said no—and now we can add James Blunt to that list. Remember James Blunt?

Blunt, the singer who's known for "You're Beautiful" despite apologizing for its very existence, apparently told Weird Al to leave his spoof "You're Pitiful" off of an upcoming box set.

But Al wasn't having it. He called out Blunt on Twitter and released "You're Pitiful" as a free download. Did Weird Al own Blunt here, or did Blunt own himself? Seems like a classic case of the Streisand Effect, where an attempt to suppress something only calls more attention to it.

This is just the latest twist in the long and strange saga of "You're Pitiful." It was originally recorded in 2006 for Al's Straight Outta Lynwood, but "permission was revoked" at the last minute, according to Al's website.

At the time, Al explained that Atlantic Records had asked him to wait until Blunt had established himself as more than a one-hit wonder. So, forever?

"They thought 'You’re Beautiful' was getting bigger than he was... and that my parody would put more focus on that song," he told the West Australian.

After delaying his album for thre months in hopes of releasing the song, Al finally got the "no" from Atlantic, despite Blunt being okay with the song.

"I have absolutely no problem with Al. I think it's a huge compliment for what he's done," Blunt said, although he added that he felt the parody was "safe" and "not my favorite."

So Al, incensed at Atlantic for jerking him around, released "You're Pitiful" on MySpace, the major music platform of the day. It got even more attention that it would have on the album.

A decade later, history is repeating itself. This time, though, it seems to be Blunt himself who objected to the release. Seems strange, because James Blunt has said he doesn't take himself or that song very seriously.

Blunt hasn't tweeted about it yet, but his Twitter account is actually quite good. He spends most of his tweets being self-deprecating, reminding everyone that his name is Cockney rhyming slang for the c-word, and responding to haters by reminding them how rich and successful he is.

Seems like he still hasn't gotten over being known for a song he felt was "force-fed down people's throats."

Post #277712
Posted 23 September 2016 23:02

Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Last Login: 17 January 2019 19:43
More links and info about the parody.

From MKAF website - http://www.monkeykingsfacts.co.uk/
Humorous parody of the song You're Beautiful by American comedian Weird Al Yankovic. Recorded by Al after seeking permission from James to parody the song for his new album. After recording had finished Atlantic Records, James' record company, told Al he couldn't release the song on the album. As a result the song became available as a free download on Al's website in June 2006.

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/weirdalyankovic/yourepitiful.html

You're Pitiful Lyrics

My life is brilliant...

What, was I too early? Oh, sorry.
Should I...Do you wanna start over? Or, keep going?
Okay, now? Now?

My life is brilliant
Your life's a joke
You're just pathetic
You're always broke

Your homemade Star Trek uniform
really ain't impressin' me
You're sufferin' from delusions of
Adequacy

You're Pitiful [X3]
It's true

Never had a date
That ya couldn't inflate
And ya smell repulsive too
What a bummer bein' you

Well ya just can't dance
And forget romance
Everybody you know still calls ya
Farty Pants
But you always have a job well I mean

As long as you still can work that slurpie machine

You're Pitiful [X3]
It's true

You're half undressed
Eatin' chips of your chest
While you're playin' Halo 2
No one's classier than you

Lalala la
Lalala la
Lalala la Loser

You're Pitiful [X3]
It's true

Your dog would much rather
Play fetch by itself

You still live with your Mom and you're 42

Guess you'll never grow a clue
When it just sucks to be you

~~~

Video by flashcartoons.org: We made our own flash cartoon about it. We are big fans of Weird Al and thought it was our duty! Enjoy!
https://youtu.be/CeAWESP7THs

Post #277713
Posted 23 September 2016 23:57

Supreme Being

Last Login: Yesterday @ 00:47
Funny someones got there knickers in a twist I bet they enjoyed ever minute
Post #277715
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

All times are GMT, Time now is 8:32am