James Blunt

Please also select your country:

Confirm your location by clicking on the relevant flag above.

Do not show me this message again.

Home       Members    Calendar
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Don't Be A Hero - co-written by JB Expand / Collapse
Author

Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 14 December 2018 21:59
Today is the official release of the Rooney's album 'Washed Away'. James co-wrote the song 'Don't Be A Hero' with the band's frontman Robert Coppola Schwartzman. A catchy song that suits well on radio during the summer.

Available on iTunes
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/washed-away/id1084515881

https://www.facebook.com/rooney

http://www.rooneymusic.com/

~~~

http://www.allmusic.com/album/washed-away-mw0002932743

AllMusic Review by Neil Z. Yeung

Six years after their previous album and under the guidance of sole original member Robert Schwartzman, Rooney return with another collection of sunny California power pop. Washed Away is Schwartzman's attempt to return to the spirit of their breakthrough debut, but instead it falls closer to their competent sophomore album Calling the World. While Washed Away doesn't add anything new to the Rooney equation, it is ultimately enjoyable. Influenced by the early sounds of bands like Supergrass, the Cardigans, and Grandaddy, Schwartzman aimed to mimic the rough-edged yet melodic songcraft of the '90s. These moments -- like the title track and "Love Me Like There's No Tomorrow" -- veer closer to one of their biggest influences (and nagging comparisons), Weezer. The Weezer shadow also looms over a couple highlights on Washed Away. Lead single "Why" -- which features French singer Soko on vocals -- merges late-era Weezer arena rock with a very Strokes-ian rhythm, while the head-bopping "Do You Have to Go?" pulls off a similar trick. Unabashedly West Coast in its sunny sound, Washed Away also nods to the Beach Boys' "Kokomo" on the James Blunt co-penned "Don't Be a Hero" with the updated line "Corona, tequila, a little marijuana… Bahama, Tijuana, take me where you wanna go." The feel-good time continues on "Come on Baby," complete with handclaps, jangly sun-baked riffs, and a chorus of "ooh la la las." Album-closer "Sad But True" -- written for Schwartzman's directorial debut, Dreamland -- is a plaintive piano and guitar ballad that pulls in more hero-nods, this time to the Beatles and Billy Joel. For all the obvious inspirations heard on each song, Schwartzman does a nice job distilling these influences into a cohesive sound. Though their debut remains the high-water mark of production, catchiness, and vitality, Washed Away is a fine set to buffer Rooney's catalog.

Post #276211
Posted 08 May 2016 19:52

Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Interview with Robert Schwartzman for Glamour magazine in which he speaks of his collaboration with James.

http://www.glamour.com/story/princess-diaries-robert-schwartzman-rooney-dreamland-interview

[...]

Glamour: Can you talk about some of the collaborations?

Robert: I wrote the opening song, “All the Beautiful People” with Tim Myers, who was in One Republic for a little while and then left the band to become a full-time songwriter … It's a different sound for Rooney, but it has a sing-along, hooky chorus, synthesizers, drums, and a lot of harmonies. I wrote “My Heart Beats 4 U” with We the Kings after we wrote “Friday Is Forever” for their album … Then I wrote a song with James Blunt called “Don’t Be a Hero,” which we wrote possibly for him, then it lived on our hard drive for five years and I decided to use it. You just go back and revisit old ideas, and you're like, "Oh shit, maybe I can make this, redo this, and make it something different.” Then there’s “Why” with Soko, an actress and musician from France with a really bubbly, wild kind of personality. It's a very collaborative place for Rooney right now. It’s “anything goes.”

Post #276252
Posted 21 May 2016 17:45

Supreme Being

I'm not sure these lyrics are totally accurate so feel free to correct them.

Don't Be A Hero

Every time I look at you
I don't know what I should do
'Cause I don't speak the body language when I'm on the rescue
I know when I'm coming over your heart
And after someone better
Looking around the good men that come
And you're knocking in any under

Corona, Tequila
A little marijuana is all
I need to help me
Bahamas, Tijuana
Take me where you wanna go

But, don't be a hero tonight
Don't be a hero
Don't be a hero tonight
You gotta let her go
No, don't be a hero tonight

Every time I try to speak
The last chance is calling me
Standing all alone and decomposing in the headlight
Another day I'll get it right
I'll save you on another night
But I've got my hopes of that
This one's my moment

Corona, Tequila
I need to help me
Bahamas, Tijuana

Don't be a hero
Don't be a hero tonight
You gotta let her go

Yesterday's fool won't live to fight
You'll be a hero another night [4x]

Don't be a hero
Don't be a hero tonight
You gotta let her go

Yesterday's fool won't live to fight
You'll be a hero another night [2x]

Post #276452
Posted 26 May 2016 16:38

Supreme Being

The whole song via YouTube.

https://youtu.be/ttj_IGfAg6M

Post #276495
Posted 26 May 2016 17:18

Supreme Being

Last Login: Yesterday @ 21:16
I like it!
Post #276496
Posted 26 May 2016 18:03

Supreme Being

Last Login: 03 July 2018 21:42
This is what I hear, could be wrong.

Don't Be A Hero

Every time I look at you
I don't know what I should do
'Cause I don't speak your body language when I'm on the rescue
I know why you’re not comin’ over here
you’re holding out for someone there
they’re looking around for good men that got it
and you're not getting any younger

Corona, Tequila
I need to help me
Bahamas, Tijuana

Don't be a hero
Don't be a hero tonight
You gotta let her go

Every time I try to speak
The last chance is calling me
Standing all alone and decomposing in the headlight
Another day I'll get it right
I'll save you on another night
But I've got my hopes up that
This one’s my moment

A fun catchy song about a night at a pub? Wondering whether to rescue that girl holding out for a gay man?

The rhythm and beat of this song sounds like James' music, it's happy and upbeat. And that's something that's a bit of puzzle to me; because when I listen to his 1st and 2nd album, the rhythm feels happy, but the words are about something sobering. My impression is that he's always been a happy person, but specific things made him sad.
Post #276497
Posted 29 July 2016 02:01

Supreme Being

Review in The Guardian.
...Don’t Be a Hero (inexplicably, co-written with James Blunt)...

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/jul/28/rooney-washed-away-review

Rooney: Washed Away review – sunny, sea-soaked powerpop

Dave Simpson
28 July 2016

Not to be confused with Paul Rooney’s 90s UK indie band, this Californian Rooney have toured with Weezer and the Strokes. The band is now down to a solitary member, Robert Schwartzman, who writes, produces and performs almost all the songs here, bringing varying moods to a default mode of sunny powerpop. The excellent Why sees him sharing vocal duties with French singer/actor Soko, and could be a more bubblegum Strokes. Elsewhere, Love Me Like There’s No Tomorrow bears the unlikely influence of Maxïmo Park and the Futureheads’ frenetic north-east guitar pop. Schwartzman can tip from sugary into saccharine, and Don’t Be a Hero (inexplicably, co-written with James Blunt) pastiches the Beach Boys’ Kokomo with the line “Corona, tequila, a little marijuana … ” to cringeworthy effect. However, Sad But True, written for his directorial debut, Dreamland, is a beautifully sea-soaked, Dennis Wilson/Jimmy Webb-style piano ballad. It suggests greater depths that Schwartzman should explore more often.

Post #277153
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

All times are GMT, Time now is 2:20am