James Blunt

Please also select your country:

Confirm your location by clicking on the relevant flag above.

Do not show me this message again.

Home       Members    Calendar
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Back To Bedlam - Prozac Pill Expand / Collapse
Author

Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 14 December 2018 21:59
I searched the old and new message board to find if the topic has ever been discussed. It's a question that new fans ask themselves, what's the meaning of the pill on the Back To Bedlam CD? A former boardie attempted an explanation back in August 2005 and I think she was right:

Blunt trivia
http://bit.ly/1HIMsBE

On the album the reason there is a pill on the cd itself is because, Bedlam was originally a hospital for the mentally ill, so i believe the pill is a link to the hospital...

That's for the first question, but...

I remembered James explaining during an interview where he took the inspiration for the pill. He had seen a large size reproduction of the Prozac pill somewhere. A couple years ago, when I stumbled on the work of the American ceramicist Karen Shapiro, I was almost sure of the connection. I say "almost sure" because I've never read anything to back it.

Here's links to Karen Shapiro's website and a video. We see the famous Prozac pill at 6:44 in the video and the picture is on the galleries' websites that sell her work. She also made a Marmite Jar that would please James, I'm sure.

http://www.rakukaren.com

Video of Karen Shapiro in her studio:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBwLYzVIVz8

Prozac Capsule
http://www.rakukaren.com/Drugs/prozac.html

Marmite Jar (scroll down)
http://www.scottsdalefineart.com/shapiro-karen.html

~~~

KAREN SHAPIRO - Biography

Karen Shapiro is an artist working in clay. Raku is her choice and it is a soft, glazed, hand-built earthenware having its origins in the tea ceremony of ancient Japan. Raku ware is unique in that the glazed pre-heated bisque is placed in the red-hot kiln with long-handled tongs. The glaze matures in 15 to 30 minutes (at a temperature of approximately 1750 degrees) and the ware is then withdrawn while still glowing. Look carefully at Karen’s pieces and marvel at her skill in the pure technique of this now refined medium.

Karen Shapiro derives her art from what's already there. It doesn't have to be studied, interpreted or understood. Her ceramic sculpture is what it is. Shapiro's ceramics represent items that are used, and they look it. Each piece speaks to an era or a season, an event or a time when the item belonged in the life of the viewer. Who doesn’t remember rousing games of Monopoly, your Mother’s ‘Evening in Paris’ cobalt blue perfume bottle not to be touched, the pumice laden Lava soap ever present on the sink for grubby fingers, Grandpa’s shaving brush and foam? Now, Karen takes these same objects, frequently larger-than-life in our memories and presents them to the collector as precious and now larger-than-life in person.

"I call them pop icons, except they have a little surface development and a patina that gives them a friendly, used quality," says one collector. "Some pieces, many of which are from the '30s, '40s and '50s, are quite nostalgic. They have an historical element but are still around, which gives them popular appeal. Collectors tend to buy two and three pieces and then put them on a kitchen counter or vanity, places where the actual items would go."

Although Shapiro considers herself a new kid in the ceramics circle, the techniques of kneading and forming, carving and cutting, baking and glazing are not new to the artist. For 30 years, she worked as a pastry chef, sculpting the ultimate edible art form. She enjoys the process of rolling out, cutting and forming her slab-built pieces, but it's the glazing and firing that takes the cake. "I use a high-fire clay, which I low-fire because I raku... The raku puts in the wonderful imperfections of real life... My work is fun, it's whimsical," she said. "I feel lucky I can make a living at it. It's not conceptual; it's literal. People don't have to understand it; it's already understood."

“My first recorded attempts at artistic expression were at the ripe age of 5 years or so when I painstakingly painted the adobe brick walls surrounding our house in Tucson. The records of these attempts are the scratchy old home movies taken years ago -- the painted images being executed in nothing but tap water and disappearing instantly in the Arizona sun. Years later I majored in art in high school where I began working in clay and continued in this medium as a design major in college. After college and continuing until a year or so ago, my medium changed drastically to a more edible art form in the shape of a long, hard career as a pastry chef.”

“I am now happily out of the kitchen and back into the ceramics studio where I am finding great joy in working in a sculpture style which is new for me. In earlier years, my emphasis was on abstract form -- believing, of course, that I was redefining the perfect form. Upon re-entering the ceramic studio at the College of Marin, under the tutelage of the ever-inspiring energy and talent of Anne Peet Carrington, I naturally tried to take up where I had left off many years ago. I was immediately frustrated and disappointed to see that those "perfect" forms would no longer come from my hands. Instead, I was drawn to the form of a milk carton, then to my espresso pot from Italy, next to an artichoke from the market -- in other words, I found an inexhaustible source of fascinating shapes and forms staring at me from all sides.”

”Now I find myself jumping around from vegetables to nail polish bottles and lipsticks, to crayons and on and on ... and in addition to these wonderful objects I have also discovered the raku kiln. The excitement of reaching into a red-hot environment with tongs, of the flaming bucket, even the choking smoke, and finding results I never dreamt of -- always changing, always so much to learn -- has given me back an enormous energy, appetite and passion for my work. It's an adventure I've just begun, and I look forward to many fulfilling years and ever more exciting results which I hope to share with as many people as may also find them interesting and fun.”
Post #269197
Posted 08 July 2015 14:51

Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Last Login: 23 June 2017 13:20
Hi Aline. I remember it being mentioned in another thread on the old boards too, but I can't find it. I remember it well as I said posted that I'd love to see that design on a TShirt.

oh and I'm still in contact with Claudia who posted that

EDIT: Actually just found the mention HERE, but it's not the thread I was thinking about...
Post #269201
Posted 08 July 2015 20:01

Supreme Being

Thanks for your comment Fen. Reading again the MKAF entry under "Pill", I think it must be where I got the information about James' inspiration. *thumbs up*

From MKAF website
http://www.monkeykingsfacts.co.uk/

Pill, James Blunt - The image of the James Blunt pill first appeared on the CD disc art on James' debut studio album Back To Bedlam. The inspiration for the design came from a large ceramic prozac pill ornament James saw whilst in Los Angeles recording the album. The design also has a small crest on the 'green side' of the pill featuring the Monkey King image and the motto Lux Tua Vis Mea. Many assumptions have been made about the pill being a drugs reference, although the idea is that listening to James' music is like taking a pill to make you feel better - 20mg of James Blunt! The pill became available as a T-Shirt design in February 2005.

The pill t-shirt that is no longer available, except possibly on eBay:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31nI4lcN9BL.jpg

Post #269202
Posted 07 January 2017 16:28

Supreme Being

If I piece all the facts together, I come to the conclusion that the giant prozac pill Carrie Fisher had in her house was the one photographed by James. It would also means this object that became her funeral urn is exactly the one pictured on the Back To Bedlam CD. Suddenly, all this takes on a very significant new dimension.

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/carrie-fishers-ashes-placed-in-prozac-pill-urn-w459559

Carrie Fisher's Ashes Placed in Giant Prozac Pill Urn
Rolling Stone
By Daniel Kreps
6 January 2017

Carrie Fisher and her mother Debbie Reynolds were laid to rest Friday in a joint private funeral service, with the Star Wars actress' ashes placed in a giant Prozac pill urn. Fisher, a longtime mental health advocate, openly discussed her battles with depression and bipolar disorder during her lifetime.

Prior to the service at the Hollywood Hills' Forest Lawn Memorial Park, reports surfaced that, despite the family's desire to lay both actresses to rest together, Fisher preferred cremation while Reynolds wanted to be buried.

According to USA Today, some of Fisher's ashes were placed in the coffin with her mother, with the rest residing in the Prozac pill urn that her brother Todd Fisher held during the service.

Todd Fisher explained the unique urn to Entertainment Tonight, "Carrie's favorite possession was a giant Prozac pill that she bought many years ago. A big pill. She loved it, and it was in her house, and [daughter] Billie [Lourd] and I felt it was where she'd want to be. We couldn't find anything appropriate. Carrie would like that. It was her favorite thing, and so that's how you do it. And so they're together, and they will be together here and in heaven, and we're OK with that."

He added that Friday's private service "was fitting and it was beautiful" and that the family was planning for a larger public memorial in the future.

Reynolds and Fisher's family held a private service at the actresses' home on Thursday, with Meryl Streep, Jamie Lee Curtis, Richard Dreyfuss and Penny Marshall among the celebrities to attend.

Fisher died December 27th, four days after suffering a cardiac episode aboard an airplane; Reynolds died the next day following a severe stroke. Bright Lights, a documentary about their mother-daughter relationship, premieres on HBO Saturday night.

Post #278712
Posted 08 January 2017 16:03
Supreme Being

Last Login: 18 November 2018 17:37
When I read about Carrie Fisher's Prozac pill funeral urn I did wonder if there was any connection to James's Prozac pill picture

I think you're right and there is a close connection there. Thank you for the article jbfan.
Post #278716
Posted 08 January 2017 19:48

Supreme Being

Last Login: Yesterday @ 21:16
Me too A Friend
Post #278718
Posted 09 January 2017 16:55

JB.com Admin

JB.com AdminJB.com AdminJB.com AdminJB.com AdminJB.com AdminJB.com AdminJB.com AdminJB.com Admin

Group: Administrators
Last Login: 10 December 2018 21:36
The Prozac pill was a ceramic at Carrie Fisher's house that James loved, and so used as an image on Back To Bedlam. Some of you may have the t-shirts with the pill. It's a sad story, but maybe a fitting ending.
Post #278723
Posted 10 January 2017 13:22

Supreme Being

Last Login: 11 December 2018 13:38
I want one.

Spinning on my heels....so far away from real <3
Post #278737
Posted 10 January 2017 18:15

Supreme Being

Last Login: Yesterday @ 21:16
Mr. LD has the 'pill' T-shirt
Post #278743
Posted 20 January 2017 02:45

Supreme Being

Last Login: 14 October 2018 23:16
Billy (09/01/2017)
The Prozac pill was a ceramic at Carrie Fisher's house that James loved, and so used as an image on Back To Bedlam. Some of you may have the t-shirts with the pill. It's a sad story, but maybe a fitting ending.

This shirt suddenly has so much more meaning to it. Thanks for this little blurb, Billylicious. I adore everything about this being one of her final statements.

She was a treasure, to those who admired her talent, surely to all who knew her personally, and most definitely to those who struggle with illness. <3
Post #278873
Posted 22 March 2017 11:22

Supreme Being

Around 27:27 in this interview with Billboard (recorded in the U.S. at the end of February 2017), James mentions the pill on Back To Bedlam album was the one in Carrie Fisher's house.

Direct link to the podcast:
http://aca.st/66759d

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/podcasts/7735611/pop-shop-podcast-james-blunt-interview

Post #282148
Posted 23 March 2017 16:26

Supreme Being

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2017/03/23/james-blunt-doesn-t-suck-anymore-from-you-re-beautiful-pansy-to-twitter-hero.html

[...]

The disc of that first album featured artwork of a Prozac pill that says “20 mg of James Blunt.”

“The Prozac pill was taken from her house,” Blunt says. “And she’s buried in it now.” Seriously.

Post #282201
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

All times are GMT, Time now is 2:57am