James Blunt

Please also select your country:

Confirm your location by clicking on the relevant flag above.

Do not show me this message again.

Home       Members    Calendar
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

'Back To Bedlam' 10th Anniversary! Expand / Collapse
Author

Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 14 December 2018 21:59
Ten years ago, the album 'Back To Bedlam' was released in the U.K. It's been an amazing journey for James and all the people who work with him in this great adventure, but also for millions of fans across the world.

If you have time today, check the fansites dedicated to James on Facebook and Twitter or anywhere else, they will probably post special messages, pictures, videos and comments to highlight this special anniversary. Please, don't hesitate to post, share, tweet and retweet to create a little or even a big buzz on the social media.

#BackToBedlam #10thAnniversary #10Years

Cheers!
Post #257297
Posted 11 October 2014 07:56

Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Last Login: 27 February 2017 06:33
James, wishing you a very special milestone anniversary and many more years of continued success. For many of us, you've been the soundtrack to our lives. There have been tears, laughter, roadtrips and friendships. A heartfelt thank you for an amazing album and 10 years of incredible music.
Post #257301
Posted 11 October 2014 13:11

Supreme Being

Last Login: 03 November 2014 09:09
"For many of us, you've been the soundtrack to our lives." That's perfect RoseApril!
Post #257305
Posted 11 October 2014 16:34

Supreme Being

Last Login: 27 October 2017 22:03
James,

Ten years ago, you enchanted the world with your debut album.
Since then, you and your music have been amazing fellow travellers in every aspect of my life.

Thank you so much for all the support and love you're giving us
Happy anniversary

Love,
bedlamitely yours,
Jamie
Post #257307
Posted 11 October 2014 17:08

Supreme Being

From the man himself on his Facebook page:

10 YEARS AGO today, my first album Back To Bedlam was released! Do you have it?

https://www.facebook.com/jamesblunt/photos/a.10150257523845424.487440.16855985423/10154735191580424/?type=1&theater

Post #257310
Posted 11 October 2014 19:51
Supreme Being

Last Login: 18 November 2018 17:37
OF COURSE I have it!!!

But only since 2009 (so please don't tell James!)
Post #257316
Posted 11 October 2014 21:26

Supreme Being

Last Login: 27 June 2018 00:16
Wooaahh 10 years! That's amazing - Happy Bedlam Birthday!

Post #257317
Posted 12 October 2014 00:03
Supreme Being

Last Login: 01 August 2018 22:05
THANK YOU for accompanying me on my way, my dear friend back to bedlam!

Happy birthday!
Post #257320
Posted 12 October 2014 02:53
Supreme Being

Last Login: 01 May 2018 01:03
10 years is kind of weird when we think about it! 10 years already or only 10 years?!
Certainly a special moment in music industry and in our personal life!
We are grateful for the day James decided he wanted to share his music with the rest of the world and have been enjoying his music so much!
Congratulations James!
Post #257326
Posted 12 October 2014 13:10

Supreme Being

Last Login: 23 June 2017 13:20
Only seems like yesterday! Where has the time gone!?

Still a lot of fondness for this album. Happy 10th Birthday BTB!
Post #257329
Posted 12 October 2014 14:41
Forum Member

Forum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum Member

Last Login: 05 September 2018 10:00
Wow - 10 years!
It's a shame, at first I really recognized James's music in 2010.
In German TV (Thanks to them!) I saw "An evening with James Blunt" from the BBC.
What a magic moment for me. Happily I had recorded this concert and I must play it again and again.
I was infected by the "Blunt virus", of course at first I bought "Back To Bedlam" - what a wonderful album.
And that was the beginning of a wonderful relationship with James music and it'll never end...

Thank you James for your music, that makes so many people happy.
Please don't stop!!!
Post #257331
Posted 12 October 2014 18:03

Supreme Being

Last Login: 22 February 2018 17:45
Happy 10th, Back To Bedlam
Post #257334
Posted 12 October 2014 20:32

Supreme Being

Last Login: 30 March 2018 22:08
It's interesting having a little delve onto the old green boards back when this all began:

http://archive.jamesblunt.com/cgi-bin/teemz/teemz.cgi?board=_master&action=opentopic&topic=22&forum=Back_to_Bedlam_2

10 years! What a journey 👍

"Music : a backstage pass to the soul"
Post #257337
Posted 12 October 2014 23:56

Supreme Being

Wow! Thanks for posting this noblebones. What a nice moment of emotion to read it.

Post #257338
Posted 13 October 2014 12:48

Supreme Being

Last Login: 23 June 2017 13:20
noblebones (12/10/2014)
It's interesting having a little delve onto the old green boards back when this all began:

http://archive.jamesblunt.com/cgi-bin/teemz/teemz.cgi?board=_master&action=opentopic&topic=22&forum=Back_to_Bedlam_2

10 years! What a journey 👍

Oooer, I remember posting that :/ Time passes and things don't change... Tears and Rain is still a favourite
Post #257345
Posted 14 October 2014 14:40

Supreme Being

Last Login: 11 December 2018 13:38
Happy Anniversary Back To Bedlam!
Yes, where has the time gone?

Spinning on my heels....so far away from real <3
Post #257388
Posted 14 October 2014 17:55

Supreme Being

Last Login: 05 August 2018 12:07
Fortunately myself and LD were able to congratulate James in person, on the special day, on behalf of us all
Congrats as well on here James for 10 years since BTB
Post #257393
Posted 14 October 2014 19:04

Supreme Being

Last Login: Yesterday @ 21:16
Yeah, wow, 10 years!!!! How time flies! That means i'm 10 years older too!!!!!!!
Post #257395
Posted 17 October 2014 07:33

Supreme Being

Last Login: 17 June 2017 15:53
I hope that everyone is aware there would only be a very limited number of people who had Back to Bedlam on this date! - it was released as a Digipak CD with the grey cover and limited to just 5,000 copies. there must be 4,995 elsewhere!

THEN on 14th March it was re-released in a normal CD case but still with the grey artwork.

THEN released with a wraparound Blue (the well known cover for BTB) sleeve but still containing the original grey covered artwork. Guessing they didn't want to waste the grey covered artwork so put the blue sleeve around it!

THEN it was re-released again in all its glory, with blue inlays and this is the album that most people think was the 1st James Blunt album, in name yes, it was BUT from an OCD collectors point of view OOOOH NOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Post #257474
Posted 17 October 2014 08:41
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: 27 September 2017 18:48
I bought back to bedlam the day it came out . Saw james few month earlier at a katie Melua concert thought this would be worth a listen .loved it from the first play
Post #257480
Posted 17 October 2014 14:16

Forum Member

Forum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum Member

Last Login: 25 February 2017 18:17
Awwww! Well actually in Italy it was released in 2005. I heard "High"playing on Brand New on feb 2005. I was in a bar with a bad flu and instead of going to school I was having wine & orange juice lol. Wonderful memories.

Post #257504
Posted 21 October 2014 18:27

Supreme Being

The photographer Steve Double was one of the first (if not the first) to make a photoshoot with James for the Back To Bedlam album in 2004. He just put up 2 pictures of this photo session on his website. I can't afford to buy one of them, but it's very interesting to read the shoot details. I had never made the connection between the bed in the field and the album title!

James Blunt on Hampstead Heath
https://double-whammy.myshopify.com/products/jamesblunt-a

SHOOT DETAILS
July 2004 Hampstead Heath London. During initial discussions with James, when he told me that the title of his as-yet unreleased debut was to be 'Back to Bedlam' I immediately thought of London's Imperial War Museum, the site of the third Bethlem (aka Bedlam), the world's first lunatic asylum. I also thought of hospital beds. Hospital beds in a field. Not sure where that last bit came from but as the very first location on our all day shoot we lugged a steel frame bed onto Hampstead Heath at 6:30 in the morning to avoid paying exorbitant location fees to the keepers of this common land. I like the juxtaposition of the openness of the space with the confines of a sick bed and James' slightly melancholic appearance. Of course this was likely just his pre-coffee look!

James Blunt
https://double-whammy.myshopify.com/products/jamesblunt-b

SHOOT DETAILS
July 2004 Blenheim Gardens Studio London. During initial discussions with James, when he told me that the title of his as-yet unreleased debut was to be 'Back to Bedlam' I immediately thought of London's Imperial War Museum, the site of the third Bethlem (aka Bedlam), the world's first lunatic asylum. So after Hampstead Heath and before heading to Clapham Common underground station we stopped in the grounds of the IWM, not to use the building as a backdrop but just to soak up the 'vibes'. The cover of 'Back to Bedlam' is actually one of the shots from within the grounds of this historic building. We then retired to my Brixton studio and created this classic image.

This video 'Back to Bedlam documentary Trailer' was filmed during the photoshoot:
http://youtu.be/cNCgYJAl35Q

Post #257645
Posted 07 January 2016 01:43

Supreme Being

This was buried so well that I'm surprised to have stumbled on it... more than one year after its publication!

http://www.rhino.com/article/rhino-factoids-james-blunts-back-to-bedlam-rules-2005

RHINO FACTOIDS: JAMES BLUNT'S BACK TO BEDLAM RULES 2005

10 years ago today, the British Recording Industry confirmed that James Blunt's Back to Bedlam, which had been released over two years prior, was the highest-selling album of 2005 in the UK.

Blunt, a English singer-songwriter who'd already earned a degree in sociology and done a four-year stint in the British Army before kicking off his recording career in earnest, but once his Army service was over and done, it didn't take long for him to find his way into a record deal. In fact, it took him less than a year: he left the Army in 2002, and it was only a few months into 2003 when he signed to Linda Perry's Custard Records.

Given the amount of time between the release of Back to Bedlam in November 2003 and its status as the best selling album of 2005, it's clear that the album took some time to catch on with audiences, but a slow build is a build nonetheless, and after opening shows for everyone from Elton John to Lloyd Cole and the Commotions and continuing to release singles from the album, something finally struck a chord with listeners.

That “something” was “You're Beautiful,” which - unlike Blunt's first two singles, “High” and “Wisemen” - resonated with audiences and became a #1 UK hit within six weeks of its release as a single. That release, by the way, didn't happen until May 5, 2005, if that gives you some idea of how long his label was willing to keep trumpeting his worth to audiences, but having finally realized that there was indeed merit to this James Blunt character, Brits began to check out Back to Bedlam, and…well, you know how the cliché goes: the rest is history.

Post #273760
Posted 21 March 2016 16:18

Supreme Being

Old interview just uploaded to YouTube (audio only). By Toazted on the B2B release in 2005.

https://youtu.be/LM-H7bCoS5o

Post #275742
Posted 22 July 2016 21:13

Supreme Being

This post belongs to the old green message board but I thought it could also suits well here. I like to re-read the tour programs after a couple years and discover again old stuff. This is the personal message penned by James for the official 'Back To Bedlam' World Tour Program 2006. Memories!

Image uploaded to Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/354306695668258407/

Hello – and welcome to the 2006 Back to Bedlam World Tour!

How bizarre to be saying something like that..! It's been just over three years since I quit my job to become a full-time musician. My ambition had always been to record an album - to document the songs. I just wanted to hold up that first copy of 'Back to Bedlam' in the knowledge that it sounded the way I heard it in my head.

After a long search, I was eventually signed by Custard Records - an independent label in Los Angeles. This was their first venture as a record label, there was no distribution organised, and because they had not got the financial support of a major corporation, the funding was limited, but they had a belief in what I was about that surpassed the business flaws. I asked to work with Tom Rothrock because of his work with Elliot Smith, and together we set out to make an album that had a timeless feel, that was honest to the songs and that took the listener on a journey through the human condition. Whether it does that or not for you, it did it for me, and the final result was an album that I was really happy with.

Since then, Atlantic Records put the album out, starting in Britain, and fanning out across the world, and from there, the whirlwind began. It started with me and Paul Beard (piano) playing as a duo. There were no posters or adverts about the album. We just got out and played to some small audiences, and each week, we'd come back and play to a few more. As the crowds got a bit bigger, Karl Brazil (drums) and Malcolm Moore (bass) came onboard. Last, but by no means least, Paul introduced me to his old band-mate Ben Castle (electric guitar).

In 2005, we did 91 official performances and probably double the number of closed performances. Frighteningly, I've spent more time with Paul than I have with any girlfriend I've ever gone out with! I don't know who to pity more - me or him? The band bring a bite to the songs that I hadn't caught on the 'Back to Bedlam'. They're a bunch of great musicians who are confident enough to know when less is more, and how to allow the songs to speak for themselves. What's more, they're a relatively nice bunch of friends as well...

Thanks for your support.

James

Oh, and do me a favour? Please could you ask that person talking beside you during 'Goodbye My Lover' to keep it down? - I'm trying to make some girl in the front row cry.

Post #277110
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

All times are GMT, Time now is 3:36am