James Blunt

Please also select your country:

Confirm your location by clicking on the relevant flag above.

Do not show me this message again.

Home       Members    Calendar
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Next Time I'm 17 Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Member

Forum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 15 September 2014 21:35
Next Time I'm 17
Written by James Blunt, Dan Wilson, and Matt Hales

Lyrics

It was the year of 91
Freddy Mercury was gone
And Nevermind was playing on our radios
We were only 17
I would park out on your street
Wait for dark to see you climbing out your window
Something's gone wrong with the weather
There's a storm out in the desert
But to us that all seemed very far away

Sometimes, when I
Think about those days it makes me wonder
What went by
Oh yeah, left me breathless
She was so damn wild
Sometimes I think those were the best days of our lives. (Ohh)
We were young and reckless
Too soon, out of time
Next time I'm 17
I won't be left behind
She would still be mine
She would still be mine

While the Iron Curtain fell
We were lying in a field
Shared the gin and cigarettes I'd stolen from my dad
We both knew what would happen next
In my cherry red AX
Did she know she was the best I'd ever had
Said we'd always be together
That we'd stay this way forever
The future seemed so very far away

Sometimes, when I
What went by
She was so damn wild
Too soon, out of time
Next time I'm 17
I won't be left behind
She would still be mine

You must be married now
In some suburban house
Are you happy now?
Do you ever think back to those times?
It was so innocent
Do you ever meet me in your mind?

Oh yeah, she left me breathless
She was so damn wild
Sometimes I think those were the best days of our lives.
Too soon, out of time
Next time I'm 17
I won't be left behind
She would still be mine

(Oh yeah, she was)
She'd still be mine
(Sometimes)
Still be mine
(Best days of our lives)

Too soon, out of time
Next time I'm 17
I won't be left behind
She would still be mine

Seems like this appeared kind of undercover, at least Google only has 8 results when I searched for this song. Just bought this MP3 on Amazon, where it released as part of the Bonfire Heart EP (didn't want to buy the whole album as I'll get Bonfire Heart with Moon Landing). Fabulous, up-beat song which was co-produced by two rather unknown writers.

Please let me excuse for any errors in the lyrics.
Post #238869
Posted 04 October 2013 17:21

Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Last Login: 27 October 2017 22:03
OMG...so much nostalgia....this song goes straight to my heart...brings back lots of memories (I'm about James' age). And yet I haven't had the chance to hear it, but the lyrics speak for themselves
Post #238890
Posted 04 October 2013 18:26
Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Last Login: 29 January 2017 15:38
Just listened to this song (bought the EP today).
That's very much a pop song Very fast. I always need to listen to a song more times to find out if I like it more or less
Post #238899
Posted 04 October 2013 20:40

Supreme Being

Last Login: 07 September 2018 09:03
jamieblunt (04/10/2013)
OMG...so much nostalgia....this song goes straight to my heart...brings back lots of memories (I'm about James' age). And yet I haven't had the chance to hear it, but the lyrics speak for themselves

Same here, it bring's back lots of memories. But I'm glad that I'm not 17 anymore
For me this song is not as catchy as some of the others are.
Post #238924
Posted 06 October 2013 11:41

Supreme Being

Last Login: 19 November 2017 14:37
I was singing along to this only after hearing it once, it is catchy and the music is fun, and agree @Jamieblunt the song is nostalgic in that it makes you remember your innocence when you were 17.

I too was at college in 1991, and I remember writing a poem about the war in 1991, The Iraq/ Kuwait war when the first George Bush was President, as an assignment, I was a mature student at that time, a little older than 17, and was affected by the war, and my poem was in sympathy for the pilots of the Tornadoes and Jaguars and their families, there were seventeen year olds in my class, and it is true at that age we are not affected by the world's problems, in fact he sings 'There's a storm out in the desert but to us that all seemed very far away' I think he is referring to the Desert Storm ie the war with Iraq over their invasion of Kuwait. And he uses it to emphasise the innocence of youth and how much more fun it is to ignore the world's problems and how free and innocent we were as teenagers. he thus captures a time in our lives with which we can relate to and reminisce when we were also so young free and innocent. In fact it was during this war that the news started to become an important part of my life, and skynews then was relatively new when the stories were on repeat every fifteen minutes, and that war coupled with skynews did change my life in that the innocence was lost and the world's problems became more important.

'While the iron cutain fell we were lying in a field...' I think he is referring to when the Berlin Wall came down, but this was in 1989. But I think he uses it also to show the innocence of youth.

But I have met some adults, some older than me, who don't watch the news, because they want to retain that innocence, they say they want to live in a 'bubble' and I have done this myself, stopped listening to the news for a while, and it does stop you dwelling on the world's problems for a while, and it is healthier too. Sometimes it feels like all the world's problems are on my shoulders. So this song is refreshing. And I like it when James tells stories like this, it makes the songs more meaningful, I think this song should also have been on the album, sad some won't even get to hear it.

The cherry red AX not sure what that is, I think it is a red car, maybe a Datsun Cherry? But its also the name of an electric guitar, but reading between the lines 'We both knew what would happen next
In my cherry red AX' I think it must be a car. Hands up if you have similar car memories?

Next Time I'm 17
Written by James Blunt, Dan Wilson, and Matt Hales

Lyrics

It was the year of 91
Freddy Mercury was gone
And Nevermind was playing on our radios
We were only 17
I would park out on your street
Wait for dark to see you climbing out your window
Something's gone wrong with the weather
There's a storm out in the desert
But to us that all seemed very far away

Sometimes, when I
What went by
She was so damn wild
Too soon, out of time
Next time I'm 17
I won't be left behind
She would still be mine
She would still be mine

While the Iron Curtain fell
We were lying in a field
Shared the gin and cigarettes I'd stolen from my dad
We both knew what would happen next
In my cherry red AX
Did she know she was the best I'd ever had
Said we'd always be together
That we'd stay this way forever
The future seemed so very far away

Sometimes, when I
What went by
She was so damn wild
Too soon, out of time
Next time I'm 17
I won't be left behind
She would still be mine

You must be married now
In some suburban house
Are you happy now?
Do you ever think back to those times?
It was so innocent
Do you ever meet me in your mind?

Oh yeah, she left me breathless
She was so damn wild
Sometimes I think those were the best days of our lives.
Too soon, out of time
Next time I'm 17
I won't be left behind
She would still be mine

(Oh yeah, she was)
She'd still be mine
(Sometimes)
Still be mine
(Best days of our lives)

Too soon, out of time
Next time I'm 17
I won't be left behind
She would still be mine

Post #239006
Posted 07 October 2013 00:06

Supreme Being

Last Login: 08 November 2017 19:06
This song is great! I reckon it would do miles better than Bonfire Heart as a single!
Post #239055
Posted 07 October 2013 14:09

Supreme Being

Last Login: 23 November 2018 23:09
(aww) My brother went out with my bestfriend when she was 16 24 years later they are back togeather anything possible true story
Post #239102
Posted 07 October 2013 17:09

Supreme Being

Last Login: 27 October 2017 22:03
[quote]Sunlight (06/10/2013)
I was singing along to this only after hearing it once, it is catchy and the music is fun, and agree @Jamieblunt the song is nostalgic in that it makes you remember your innocence when you were 17.
I wasn't that innocent though

So this song is refreshing.

In my cherry red AX' I think it must be a car. Hands up if you have similar car memories?
Well maybe ....

About the meaning of the song: I totally agree with you, and it really captures the atmosphere of the early 90's!

Post #239114
Posted 07 October 2013 19:01
Forum Member

Forum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum Member

Last Login: 15 September 2014 21:35
Lyrics

Thanks, updated my OP with your version.
Post #239122
Posted 07 October 2013 23:48

Supreme Being

Last Login: 19 November 2017 14:37
Yes , interesting Susan, considering he is singing about the 90's and not the 70's, but maybe he is singing about someone else, and their life, rather than his?

Remember these lyrics -

'And all the world will know your name,
And you'll be famous as you are 'cause I'll sing for you.'

'One day your story will be told'

The thirteen year old girl in Heroes, is certainly about someone else.
Post #239163
Posted 13 October 2013 19:45

Supreme Being

Last Login: 22 February 2018 17:30
I like the song but can´t help myself; for me James´ voice sounds completly different - not ripe, like a teenie

Perhaps it´s an older recorded song that has been released but now?

@susan : very interesting

Post #239566
Posted 13 October 2013 23:25

Supreme Being

Last Login: Yesterday @ 17:46
I'm not sure but for me the line "Desert Storm" is about the codenamed Operation Desert Storm on the Gulf War ((17 January 1991 – 28 February 1991) I've could never erase that name of my head, so at the moment I read it on the song, comeback to my memory again, also that operation began on a January "17"... coincidence, I don't know...

Then he speak about the "Iron Courtain" The Iron Curtain symbolized the ideological conflict and physical boundary dividing Europe into two separate areas from the end of World War II in 1945 until the end of the Cold War in 1991.
again "1991"

Were big things that happened in the world those days, maybe soon will be named like things that will marked a change of era...

I think this lines complement the context of the story that James is telling us through the song lovely!!
Post #239578
Posted 14 October 2013 10:17

Supreme Being

Last Login: 19 May 2018 13:50
found this song on youtube, it's a great song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFT2Vog07TM

Post #239602
Posted 14 October 2013 15:58

Supreme Being

Last Login: 09 November 2017 17:21
Thank you for the link it means I won't be cheap and wait for the album but I have just ordered the EP from Amazon. What a great song, may be not '91 as I was a bit young then but still a proper trip down memory lane, plus I love the tunes of the end of the '80s early '90s and this would fit right in to one of my old NOW cassette tapes Would I go back to 17 again? yes, just to have the innocence of not knowing and the true belief you can achieve anything and like the write up in the other thread your main worry is your maths homework and if you have enough money for the new top for the Friday night, sharing 20:20 and a cigarette down the beach singing Madonna with friends!
Post #239618
Posted 15 October 2013 08:53

Supreme Being

Last Login: 07 September 2018 09:03
I must admit, after listening the EP a few more times, the sound is stuck in my head
Anyway I don't want to be reminded to this time, but this is what the song does, so some how amazing what James music can do
Post #239665
Posted 19 October 2013 18:56

Supreme Being

Last Login: 15 March 2017 16:51
Isn't 'cherry' a reference to loosing your virginity ?
Post #240162
Posted 13 November 2013 23:20

Supreme Being

Last Login: 11 November 2017 14:32
OoOohhhh, I love, love, love, love, love, love, love this song!! It's so sweet and I love the words!! Lots of nostalgia. And it reminds me of when I climbed out my window! Ahem... It takes me way back and it does a great job with it. I've only heard it on YouTube and I have to buy it!

Oh it's so awesome! But I agree his voice sounds like um...a munchkin or something. Why is that? I think it's the way it was recorded or something. but it's just adorable to hear him singing about his love from long ago. I wish this song was on the album! I'm like a drug addict I WANT ALL THE SONGS on the album! I can't get enough.

Thank you James for being so amazing! This song makes me feel like a kid again.
Post #241996
Posted 03 January 2014 00:03

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 03 January 2014 01:03
When we were 17 eh? mm. some of the best times of our lives. Nothing really beats your teenage sweetheart. whoever they are or whoever they become. Its a part of you.

'We were young and reckless
Too soon, out of time
Next time I'm 17
I won't be left behind
she would still be mine'

Post #244023
Posted 24 April 2014 23:17

Supreme Being

Last Login: 07 November 2016 21:34
Nirvana's Nevermind album -90s nostalgia.

Gin at 17 - I always had to put tons of sugar in gin at that age as your tastebuds are less developed so you have to have sweetness.

Cherry AX must be a car? Or a tumble drier...no that is silly..

Post #251839
Posted 11 May 2017 21:19

Supreme Being

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 20:43
Official lyrics have been added to JB's website. The ones already posted here were accurate. 10/10

http://www.jamesblunt.com/lyrics/next-time-im-seventeen-23511

Post #283122
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

All times are GMT, Time now is 7:40pm