James Blunt

Please also select your country:

Confirm your location by clicking on the relevant flag above.

Do not show me this message again.

Home       Members    Calendar
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

««123»»

Sun On Sunday Expand / Collapse
Author

Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 19 November 2017 14:37
I love this song too, I have watched the video on the Amazon site. Its so moving. Puzzling though why he sings about cutting and bruising someone, obviously just metaphors, but his choice of language was disturbing. But it is one of my favourites of his new album I have heard so far.
Post #238736
Posted 03 October 2013 00:58

Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Last Login: 02 December 2018 12:13
Wow it's good to see this song has brought some new fans on board Hi everyone.
I must say I cannot get this song out of my head it is breathtaking.
The funniest thing happened, when I watched it for the millionth time, it went really slow and to me it sounded even better (if that's possible). I recorded the strange phenomena and may upload it to YouTube if anyone's interested
I agree with you Sunlight the use of certain words is puzzling. But I don't really want to think about it cos it's obviously not good
It was mentioned among Boardies the positive lyrics James has been using there's a lot of love going on Lets hope so
Post #238738
Posted 03 October 2013 08:59

Supreme Being

@wkdnic Hi!

The song is an expression of selfless love. Reminds me of '50 shades' No I didn't say that
Just joking.

No I don't think its about S&M, well I hope its not anyway.

It also reminds me of Leona Lewis' 'Bleeding Love' She uses similar metaphors.

His voice is perfect on it, and it suits his style, but mind you it would be a perfect song for the new Fifty Shades movie as the theme song. But no, its better than that

It deserves its place on a movie though, a beautiful love story, the song alone would make the movie. The song on its own though seems a little unreal, in the sense that can love be that strong in this dog eat dog world?

Post #238753
Posted 03 October 2013 10:56

Supreme Being

Group: Banned Members
Last Login: 26 April 2018 23:36
...there should be a contest of who of us whinn the most when we hear the lyrics...uauuu...something id win!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Post #238759
Posted 03 October 2013 16:48

Supreme Being

Yes it does feel like a movie theme; I thought that too.
I've usually got a pretty dirty mind but s&m didn't occur to me in relation to this song but know you mention it...
It would be perfect for 50 shades that would be brilliant!
Post #238802
Posted 04 October 2013 05:41

Supreme Being

Last Login: 23 November 2018 23:09
Thanks for that TF heres a song for you that sums up what you are saying maybe.

http://youtu.be/9in_2bpi2Bg  have a nice night.

Post #238853
Posted 04 October 2013 16:57

Supreme Being

Last Login: 27 October 2017 22:03
This marvellous song is so stirring it makes me feel sad and comforted at the same time (weird, isn't it?)
I feel like crying now......a lot of repressed emotions are resurfacing at the moment and it is quite painful....
Post #238885
Posted 04 October 2013 20:09

Supreme Being

Last Login: 07 September 2018 09:03
Can't stop listening to the unplugged version, it's soo beautiful...
..I have no words.phew
Post #238917
Posted 04 October 2013 20:48

Supreme Being

Last Login: 22 February 2018 17:30
my absolute favorite until now Soooo touching!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Post #238926
Posted 05 October 2013 14:30

Supreme Being

Last Login: 11 December 2018 13:38
Very emotional song. 

Absolutely beautiful
x

Spinning on my heels....so far away from real <3
Post #238964
Posted 06 October 2013 15:25

Supreme Being

Listened to this again, and I think the song is about, even if he succeeds in the charts,( they are on a Sunday), then if she is wounded or hurt then there will be no joy for him.

'Cos there'll be no sun on Sunday,
No reason for words to rhyme
Cause if you're bleeding so am I. '

But it could also be words said to him by someone else?

What I have noticed is it sounds similar to a well known song, it took me a while, but its Stevie Wonder's
'I just called to say I love you' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezD9fndbeyw
Post #239023
Posted 07 October 2013 07:43
Supreme Being

Last Login: 24 December 2017 14:07
jamieblunt (04/10/2013)
This marvellous song is so stirring it makes me feel sad and comforted at the same time (weird, isn't it?)
I feel like crying now......a lot of repressed emotions are resurfacing at the moment and it is quite painful....

I feel the same way...
Post #239071
Posted 08 October 2013 13:03

Supreme Being

Last Login: 18 January 2017 23:27
Heart wrenchingly beautiful.....the more I listen to it the more I love it.
Having a hard time picking a favourite song .....they are all amazing
Post #239200
Posted 09 October 2013 01:54

Supreme Being

Last Login: 18 January 2017 23:27
Ok, after listening to it a million times, it's now officially my favourite
Post #239237
Posted 09 October 2013 18:51

Supreme Being

attention! its dangerous to hear the song while driving a car, because of all the tears in your eyes you can´t see anything!!
Post #239311
Posted 15 October 2013 19:35

Supreme Being

gets all possible stars!!!
Post #239750
Posted 15 October 2013 20:06

Supreme Being

Last Login: 11 December 2018 13:38
After hearing the album in its entirety...This is my most favourite ballad thus far.

Satellites runs a close second.

Spinning on my heels....so far away from real <3
Post #239760
Posted 16 October 2013 20:11

Supreme Being

Last Login: 17 June 2017 15:53
This song is how I know I am not emotionally stable just yet! - it is simply beautiful!

I just dream about hearing this one live, just James and the Piano.. a real tear jerking moment.
Post #239850
Posted 16 October 2013 21:32
Supreme Being

Last Login: 24 November 2018 17:39
That's right. It is an absolutely wonderful song, outstanding beautiful. James Blunt, the piano and this song - an amazing unity - a heartbreaker.
Post #239858
Posted 17 October 2013 16:02

Supreme Being

Last Login: 28 August 2017 00:03
I LOVE everything about this song. It is SO gorgeous.

Leaves you feeling breathless...
Post #239935
Posted 19 October 2013 13:16
Forum Member

Forum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum Member

Last Login: 22 September 2018 20:17
I have lost count of the amount of times I have listened to this song, it is simply outstanding, I hope it is released as a single.
Post #240123
Posted 20 October 2013 18:49

Supreme Being

I don't think it's about self-harming Susan! Christ, lighten up!
It's about loving someone so much that the thought of hurting them would hurt you more.
Post #240273
Posted 22 October 2013 20:32

Supreme Being

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 03:24
What it means the line "Sun on Sunday"? or what he wants to say with this line? I don't get it yet
Post #240522
Posted 24 October 2013 15:49
Forum Member

Forum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum Member

Last Login: 24 October 2013 23:40
This is the song on the album that makes grown men cry. I speak from experience. I'm a month older then James (the big 40 next year). Been listening to the album all afternoon and have decided that this song is my favourite.

The recording on the DVD just makes me well up every time.
Post #240706
Posted 26 October 2013 21:14
Supreme Being

Last Login: 24 November 2018 17:39
roarrig (22/10/2013)
What it means the line "Sun on Sunday"? or what he wants to say with this line? I don't get it yet

Hi roarrig, I think it is only a phrase to say that there will be no light no luck no fun in his future life (like in a depression) if he is not able to fix the crumbling relationship/their love again. Every Sunday, every day in his life would feel grey without her warmth, her tenderness, her love. This is my interpretation.

Post #240897
Posted 26 October 2013 23:54

Supreme Being

Last Login: 27 June 2018 00:16
Sun on Sunday sounds unusual to me, it sort of glides and lifts and glides again. It's one of those songs where it's as if the lyrics and music were always meant to fit and they were just waiting for the right moment.
It's just beautiful.

Post #240909
Posted 27 October 2013 16:41

Supreme Being

Last Login: Yesterday @ 21:16
Oh dear, have just watched the 'unplugged' version of this............well...........all i can say is................tears and snot everywhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sniff!
Post #240946
Posted 28 October 2013 06:14

Supreme Being

Last Login: 24 October 2014 08:01
I kinda like this song...but I don't mesh with parts ???
Post #240965
Posted 01 November 2013 01:25

Forum Guru

Forum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum Guru

Last Login: 28 October 2014 00:21
Ok. As promised - here are my notes on this song.

The demo I was emailed of the song was so faint you could barely hear it! It was a little difficult to suss out the chords, especially during the bridge and key change towards the end. But there was something there I really liked, I so worked hard on it from home. When we were wrapping up recording.. I asked when we were going to to No Sun on Sunday (which was its working title, by the way. They dropped the "No" at some point after we wrapped). James said he was planning on keeping it just piano and singing - not really a band song or anything. Maybe a few soft pads or ethereal parts like I played on Goodbye My Lover at most. But I had worked out parts and everything! I asked if I could at least just show him what I had written and he said sure - let's hear it.
I played along with the scratch track once through and he loved it. Let's record!!! And so we did! A perfect example of his open-minded approach to writing and recording and collaboration. Very cool and very rewarding feeling for me.

So ok. The parts.
A lot of outside inspiration went into my guitar parts on this song. Some were an easy fit, some I had to sort of.. 'prove' to him or show him my inspiration and reasoning for the part. Some made the cut, some didn't.

The guitars first come in behind the line "..and me the thief" - a kind of plucky sounding thing. The idea behind the sound was inspired by the song "Raining In My Heart" by Buddy Holly. I always loved the sound of the pizzicato strings mixed in with the melancholy of the song and thought it would be nice here. I assumed my guitar version would temporary, later replaced by actual strings, but I think Tom made a cool decision to just leave the single note guitar parts as is. They do the job and leave lots of space for James' voice. James had never heard the Buddy Holly song before so I busted out the laptop and played it for him on Youtube. He loved it. I initially played about 4 times as many notes.. I'm glad they chopped it down to those 6. Perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNf7Y7Z5Jq8

For the choruses I played a bunch of things. Chords, pads, whatever. That they chose to just keep the single angelic notes is another testament to Tom's production skills. It's really all that was needed. That's a 1962 Fender Jaguar being played through a Strymon Timeline.. which is to say.. a very old guitar through a very new piece of digital machinery. A sound that has definitely never existed before. Listen for the long high pitched ringing behind and after each note. I really love that sound.

Then there's the tiny little melody at the end of the first chorus. That was intended to be on the end of the song during the piano outro. I'm really glad they flew it up to the top though, because the end is really beautiful when solemn and singular like they left it. The piano is very Erik Satie sounding and didn't need my silly guitar sitting on top of it. It might sound like a bit of a stretch, but that little guitar melody was inspired by the song "Falling Down" by Travis. A song I've loved since I was in highschool and first saw them play at a bar in Redondo Beach in 1997. I found myself accidentally playing the exact melody from this song on top of No Sun on Sunday when at home.. but caught myself! So I made sure to switch it up! But now you guys know that this was what was actually playing in my head while I played the notes you hear on the record.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7fQMUuOfTU

Second verse. It's barrreeellllyy there, but if you listen really closely there is a second very faint guitar part behind the lyrics "a wishful look.." on. Its like a very soft tick-tack kind of a sound. Get this - I lifted that idea from a DANZIG song!!! Ha. I bet no one in the world would ever link Glenn Danzig with James Blunt! But.. welcome to my world. Another blast from the past.. this time 1992. One of the first guitar parts I ever learned was "Sistinas". For whatever reason it just totally worked on this song! They buried it so low that it's almost not there.. much like my 6th grade memories. Listen to the Danzig song and suddenly you'll hear it in Sun on Sunday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntTV-KjQ0Po

The massive challenge on this song was the bridge and its transition back into the song, which modulates up. I tried a hundred things with very little success. Mike tried lots of string treatments and tricks.. I was really curious to see what they would end up using. When I heard the final mix and their decision to go DOWN in volume and intensity in the bridge instead of up.. it just made so much sense. The humming, the whole thing. The reason we were having a hard time deciding what to put in there was that the right choice was to take things out. When he makes the turn out of the bridge back into the melody.. it didn't need anything else. A quiet transition. So good.

The last chords ringing out are really nice and soft. You can hear James lifting his foot off the damper pedal of the piano. Again.. very Erik Satie sounding to me. Really great.

So.. that's it! All of my notes and thoughts from the guitar point of view. A soft, delicate song, filled with lots of little personal references and inspirations. A heavy dose of world-class production and showing of artistic restraint by Tom.

Post #241251
Posted 01 November 2013 08:17

Supreme Being

Group: Banned Members
Last Login: 26 April 2018 23:36
uauuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu Matt!!!

UAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

thaaaanks soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much!!!!!

you REALLY made me feel INSIDE of this song....its sooo nice of you to tell us all this....uauuuuu...i still have thousand of questions...but let me first diggest the information you so kinly told us......

dont take it hard Matt...but if i could...id give you a huge kiss for your kindness!!!
Post #241261
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

««123»»

All times are GMT, Time now is 2:15am