James Blunt

Please also select your country:

Confirm your location by clicking on the relevant flag above.

Do not show me this message again.

Home       Members    Calendar
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

browsing the forum w/o loggin Expand / Collapse
Author

Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 29 November 2017 20:57
Hello experts,

sometimes I just like to browse the forum to see what's going on without loggin in. This was possible since a few weeks ago. Now it's not possible for me to view any topics other then the home directory... means actually nothing.

I'm now wondering whether it's just me who has this little new feature?

Has this been changed on purpose?

I'm grateful for any answer or - even better - a solution.

Thank you!

Post #222109
Posted 05 November 2012 16:00

Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Last Login: 06 April 2017 19:41
Hi Kejy!

it is a new feature that helps to prevent the spam. At some point we had plenty of it here
Thanks to Billy and technicians effort issue was solved but some things changed. In order to read boards you need to be logged-in. Also we are not allowed to edit posts, so be careful when writing

Lith
Post #222112
Posted 05 November 2012 16:35

Supreme Being

Last Login: 29 November 2017 20:57
Thanks, Lith.

Don't understand how preventing browsing the easy way will stop spamming, though. One needs to have an account to post anyway. Don't mind the edit restriction but this feature doesn't really make the forum comfortable to use...

Post #222120
Posted 05 November 2012 17:05
Supreme Being

Last Login: 02 March 2016 07:51
We all have to log on to view the boards, which is annoying as i sometimes like to just view the boards. If there is a topic i wish to post on, i log on for that reason. The changes on the boards hasn't stopped SPAM. Other message boards i post on don't have problems with spam, that's why all the spammers come here.
Post #222128
Posted 05 November 2012 17:28

Supreme Being

Last Login: 11 November 2017 14:32
I think logging on every time we want to read is discouraging even regular boardies from visiting this site. We already have such a small amount of people actively participating and I think this is only making it worse. What a shame.

The spammers can just make an account and log on and post their nonsense so I don't know if it's really necessary to make all of us log on just to read. I read that it's only temporary and hopefully that's true.
Post #222140
Posted 11 November 2012 16:58
Supreme Being

hookedonJames (05/11/2012)
I think logging on every time we want to read is discouraging even regular boardies from visiting this site. We already have such a small amount of people actively participating and I think this is only making it worse. What a shame.

I notice there isn't as many board members visiting the boards, only just over 40 have logged on so far today. We need to bring back view before you log on, as soon as possible before we lose any more board members not posting here. I know James is taking a extended break at the moment, but we don't want him to lose fan interest before the next album comes out.
Post #222355
Posted 18 November 2012 07:11
Supreme Being

Last Login: 17 June 2017 11:36
There is actually a way to view the boards without logging in. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has figured this out. Sorry James and Billy. I decided to call myself out because I was feeling a bit guilty. I'm sure this work around will get fixed soon. xx
Post #222702
Posted 18 November 2012 08:43
Supreme Being

I wish i knew how to view the boards without logging on.
Post #222713
Posted 20 November 2012 17:04

JB.com Admin

JB.com AdminJB.com AdminJB.com AdminJB.com AdminJB.com AdminJB.com AdminJB.com AdminJB.com Admin

Group: Administrators
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 21:36
Personally, I just stay logged on the whole time, which means I don't have to log in each time.

lady blunt, I passed on your points about spam, especially concerning email addresses, but none of them were relevant to how and where we were getting spam. Thanks again for trying though.

Post #222848
Posted 20 January 2013 03:09

Supreme Being

Last Login: 06 December 2018 08:10
I have to say that the requirement to log in just to view the posts has actually meant I've almost stopped looking at this site - I'd give it a quick read when I had a chance, even though I knew I wasn't going to post, and pretty much kept up with what was happening. Once it switched to "can't view unless logged in" - well, it's a royal pain to log in from a mobile, I regularly work from 5 different computers so none of this "staying logged in", etc. It just means I come here, click on a forum, am asked to log in, and say "meh, there's probably nothing exciting, I'll check when I'm on the computer with the built in password keeper."

In other words, it's affecting the likelihood that longtime boardies will continue to read and participate in the forum. James is working on Album #4. This needs to be fixed before the publicity starts on the new album, because it's going to be very uninviting to new people. Most people have read before joining up to this point, and there's no reason to believe it will be any different with the new album.

It may sound a bit boastful, but the members of the forum are probably responsible, between the lot of them, for the sales of a couple million quid in albums, souvenirs and concert tickets over the years. I really appreciate that James has recognized the support he's received from his avid supporters who post here (and don't forget the huge number who just read, and only very rarely have posted). We remain one of the most important (and easiest to reach) target markets for future sales of albums, merchandise and tickets. Making it easy for people to keep themselves informed is key.

Annec xx
Post #225703
Posted 20 January 2013 15:21

Supreme Being

Last Login: 14 March 2017 17:16
I stay logged in the whole time. But recently Ive noticed that the website says "can't view unless logged in"...tho I am already logged in...
Post #225724
Posted 20 January 2013 19:11
Supreme Being

Last Login: 24 November 2018 17:39
Sometimes I have the same problem. I logged in and press a button to reply and I get the message You have to log in - although I had logged in some minutes ago.
Post #225742
Posted 21 January 2013 08:01
Supreme Being

Last Login: 24 December 2017 14:07
Annec, you are right! xx
Post #225760
Posted 22 January 2013 01:09

Supreme Being

Last Login: 10 July 2018 01:41
Annec, your post was spot on and I think sums up pretty well what many of us have been thinking, ever since the new 'Big Brother' regime was was installed here. I'm aware I could stay permanently logged on, but I don't want to do that as I'm reliably informed that staying logged on makes it easier for hackers to hijack an account, and I don't fancy having to suffer the fallout from some mischievous troll posting all manner of things using my account.

Also, sorry if this comes as a shock to the powers that be, but sometimes when I visit this forum it's because I want to see if there is any interesting news from fellow boardies, because let's face it although James' music is the common interest that brought us together in the first place, it's not the be all and end all of our lives (and really shouldn't be). If I want to know the latest news about James I can access the news section of this site, but this forum is about much more than that. Since they messed with it I've hardly visited and find myself highly sceptical about the reasons why the new system was put in place.

Anyway, the spam levels appear unchanged since the 'you must log on' annoyance was put in place, so really, what is the point?

W'fan
Post #225814
Posted 28 August 2013 06:33

Supreme Being

Bumping this thread again. So folks....new album on the way, lots of emails sent out...many new members of the forum in the past month?

I really do urge that you reconsider opening up viewing posts without logging in. There's a phenomenal amount of information here. I do know the marketing reason why "industry experts" suggest closed forums, but after Atlantic emailed the, ahem, wrong bunch of fans about the new album, perhaps letting the boardies continue their multi-year on-site promotional campaigns - building enthusiasm, redecorating the bandwagon and getting it back to its finely tuned state - might be just as effective as collecting a bunch more email addresses.

After all, that's how most of us came to know enough about James and his music to get aboard.

Annec xx
Post #235311
Posted 28 August 2013 19:19

Supreme Being

Well said Annec.

W'fan
Post #235352
Posted 10 September 2013 23:50

Supreme Being

Last Login: 28 August 2017 00:03
I don't know where to post this information, but I hope this will get to the correct people.

When trying to log-in to jamesblunt.com on Safari from where I am living currently (U.S.), we are re-directed to this: http://www.jamesblunt.com/splash/moonlandingfr which is an ad for 'Moon Landing,' in French! We have tried several times to get to James' website lately, and it is impossible by typing what we normally would have typed. I used to type jamesblunt.com, read the latest news, then read the forum.

The way that I get to this forum now is by typing "James Blunt Forum" in google search, and then log-in.

I have a Marketing background, and I feel it is really important for people around the world to be able to get the news about James' music, easily, especially now when he is launching his new CD.

I don't know why this was changed. Do you?
Post #236398
Posted 16 September 2013 02:48

Supreme Being

Last Login: Yesterday @ 20:43
Just noticed that I can browse the forum without logging in. Thank you!
Post #236914
Posted 16 September 2013 12:37

Supreme Being

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 12:57
I never knew you could do this, i still can't anyway
Post #236925
Posted 16 September 2013 12:59

Supreme Being

Last Login: 16 November 2015 11:34
jbfan132 (16/09/2013)
Just noticed that I can browse the forum without logging in. Thank you!

Yes and index page jamesblunt.com is the same ( before promo Moon landing)

it's better ( that page for buy CD)
Post #236929
Posted 16 September 2013 14:53

Supreme Being

Last Login: 28 August 2017 00:03
Thank you!
Post #236937
Posted 19 September 2013 04:05

Supreme Being

And a big thank you from me as well.

Annec xx
Post #237083
Posted 19 September 2013 13:45

Supreme Being

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 12:57
Oh yes, it does work for me now

I still like to log in though to check for PM's as my e mail notification for PM's is still not working!!!!!!!!!
Post #237103
Posted 19 September 2013 22:36

JB.com Admin

JB.com AdminJB.com AdminJB.com AdminJB.com AdminJB.com AdminJB.com AdminJB.com AdminJB.com Admin

Group: Administrators
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 21:36
We're trialling this based on your requests. The fight was that we closed it in order to cut down on Spam.... which has worked, as you will all agree. But... while James is promoting an new album, we'll keep it open to attract more people, and I'll be on Spam patrol once more.

What will happen in the long-run is anyone's guess... But don't start screaming when we get more Spam... just let me know, I'll delete it, and you can smile in the knowledge that you brought it on yourselves (although I totally agree - it's much nicer to have an open forum that anyone can browse)!
Post #237147
Posted 20 September 2013 01:33
Supreme Being

Last Login: 18 November 2018 17:37
Thank you Billy, it's nice that you're listening to us - as for the spam, we'll just have to wait and see what happens.
Post #237153
Posted 20 September 2013 15:20

Supreme Being

Last Login: 11 November 2017 14:32
Thanks, Billy! It's soooo much better this way. It's like old times. It's really no fun the other way.

And spam is no biggie. If you don't want to bother with it, I will be on spam control and delete it if you give me your almighty powers. Oh great and powerful deleter, I am at your service.
Post #237213
Posted 31 August 2014 17:51
Supreme Being

Last Login: 04 December 2018 18:37
It seems i can't browse the forum with or without being logged in...
Keeps redirecting to an error notification page...
So i'm not sure what information tech team needs to correct things. Then, it's the first time things are weirding out on me without being a general problem.

help, thanks!
Post #255407
Posted 01 September 2014 01:04

Supreme Being

Same problem here, just flagging for the techies.

W'fan
Post #255408
Posted 02 September 2014 11:21

Supreme Being

Last Login: 27 June 2018 00:16
Seems fine to me now

Post #255411
Prev Topic | Next Topic

All times are GMT, Time now is 7:30am