James Blunt

Please also select your country:

Confirm your location by clicking on the relevant flag above.

Do not show me this message again.

Home       Members    Calendar
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Perceived vs. real personality Expand / Collapse
Author
Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 23 February 2015 01:36
Creator or Creation? That's thought provoking - and there's some great answers being posted. Mmm, I'd say both - and in relation to James' music and songs, I happened across a website while doing a google for the word 'character' and found myself in a link that had Alexander Pope's writings, of which I am not very familiar with and while browsing through a few lines of his seemed to jump out of the 'page' at me and I think they sum up James ....

Music resembles poetry, in each
Are nameless graces which no methods teach,
And which a master-hand alone can reach.
Post #20491
Posted 21 June 2009 02:09

Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Last Login: 17 September 2017 06:10
Creator / Creation

No matter how much they are a like....they are two separate entities and their importance would have to be evaluated by each person for what value is given to them from each. So I don't think there is an answer. . .

What's more important ....A parent or their children???

You can Love a child...and not Love who brought them to life...(or you can love them both but in different ways) .....

You can go to an art museum and enjoy 1000's of creations without knowing personal information about the artist....and what if the artist is already gone, like Da Vinci or Mozart, does the lack of knowing them personally take away from what they have shared or how they make you feel?

I think the importance is more found in each of us ...not by the value of what is seen ...... but that we value our gift of sight and the ability to think!

Me'
Post #20492
Posted 21 June 2009 03:51

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 26 August 2010 22:58
I would like to thank all of You for your insights and PACHA for the link to the poetry sight. I have read most of them and, it seams like they are all about lost loves. I would like to share with all of You something that is not. And once again, thank You for including me in your forum.
Agnes

Speak a whisper
Hear a silence
See a shadow
night…
Hug an oak
Touch a leaf
dream…
Forget the past
Remember the future
live…
Take a little
Give a lot
sleep…
Post #20493
Posted 21 June 2009 13:35
Supreme Being

Akayaandme, I see what you mean about two separate entities --- and the more I think about the question the more complex and layered the answers become actually ---- so now I'm not sure there is a 'right' answer, just a personal empathy or connection we may have to either - or both.

Agnus, you're very welcome for the link - and yes, now you mention it you're probably correct about there being many 'lost love' poems --- and I think also expressions of requited love too, or unrequited.

While reading your poem I see the vibrations, energy and beauty of nature entwining love for self into one. It's lovely Agnus!
Post #20494
Posted 21 June 2009 16:54

Supreme Being

Last Login: 17 September 2017 06:10
Agnes,
Thank you for posting your poem. 'Forget the past...Remember the future'
That is WOWing me and making me smile today! It's great to have you on these here boards and that you feel comfortable to keep sharing your views!

Pacha,
I had to think about it a lot before I posted....and the more I thought....the more questions I had.....Thank you for your reply.

Me'
Post #20495
Posted 22 June 2009 21:00

Supreme Being

Last Login: 29 March 2017 23:57
Agnes, thanks for sharing your poem with us - to me it's about human consciousness - something that James refers to alot with regard to his musical expression. Lovely poem!
Post #20496
Posted 23 June 2009 14:55

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Thank all of You for this great support. Unfortunately, I will not be joiing You for a while I as it turns out, I have a disease that will keep me in a hospital for a while. Thank You all for your support and encouragement. Good Luck to All of You and Thanks.
Agnes
Post #20497
Posted 23 June 2009 15:20

Supreme Being

Last Login: 10 July 2018 20:28
Dear Agnes, I`ll hope you get soon well from your desease. Hope it´s not too bad for you...

I am looking forward to hear from you again in a while here on the board!

I wish you all the best,

Mona P. from South Germany
Post #20498
Posted 23 June 2009 19:38

Supreme Being

Best wishes in your recovery Agnes. I hope you get well soon. Speak to you on the boards again soon hopefully. Take care of yourself, and don't forget to take your albums and earphones to hospital with you!
Annmarie x
Post #20499
Posted 23 June 2009 21:35

Supreme Being

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 17:59
Wishing you a speedy recovery Agnes x
Post #20500
Posted 24 June 2009 01:29
Supreme Being

Agnus I am very sorry to hear you are unwell and going into hospital, and I hope your health will return very soon. Annmarie's suggestion is a good one, music can be wonderful to listen to at any time and of course if you feel like reading, books are great as well. We're probably not telling you anything you don't know already though!

Will look forward to your return on the boards - best wishes Agnus.
Post #20501
Posted 24 June 2009 09:23

Thanks to all of You for such support. In farewell, this is for You:

With no hope
the soul locks is doors
dims the light in the eyes
and arms reach out no longer

And sleep - getaway to oblivion
Savior at night – at dawn
also becomes a part of the past
The only time that will have ever mattered
Post #20502
Posted 24 June 2009 14:26

Supreme Being

Last Login: 29 July 2013 00:44
Sorry to hear that you're ill.
Here's hoping you get better quickly
Post #20503
Posted 25 June 2009 09:48
Supreme Being

Last Login: 20 November 2014 21:03
Oh Agnes, there is always hope,
there is always light,
there is always love.
Sleep is a getaway into spirit where you are free to fly anywhere and everywhere.
the only time that ever matters is now.

feel the love and light that your angels are surrounding you with.
can you feel it? It is so soft, so gentle.
Imagine the most gentle feeling you can and it is magnitudes greater.

yes, dive deep deep deep into your soul .... there you will find the beautiful well of love that will lift you lift you lift you

Tree.
Post #20504
Posted 30 June 2009 08:03

What would I do without the trees?
Leaves clinging just to please the season
And falling when told when to do so…
Post #20505
Posted 30 June 2009 12:04

Supreme Being

Last Login: 29 November 2018 00:25
^^ I like that.
Post #20506
Posted 21 June 2010 13:36

Supreme Being

Last Login: 03 October 2013 18:11
When planlessly strolling about the board, I came across this thread from last year.
I missed it at the time (as I usually miss most threads...).

However, when reading this thread, how it developed, went on and finally ended,
I realize how very cute people you boardies are.

Still, I cannot help wondering about agnes.hogan.
Her last words are very sad and touching. I do hope she is alright today.

/KT
Post #20507
Posted 21 June 2010 15:45

Supreme Being

Last Login: 07 January 2019 17:42
Oooh...missed this thread as well.
Why am I here?
I'm here so that Billy doesn't lose his job. Can't have that on my conscience.

Spinning on my heels....so far away from real <3
Post #20508
Posted 23 June 2010 08:04

Supreme Being

I wonder is Agnes still visits the board... Yes kt07zse, having re-read the thread, I had the same thoughts as you.
Post #20509
Posted 23 June 2010 23:33

Supreme Being

Last Login: 10 July 2018 01:41
Very interesting thread and good to see that even though things got a bit heated at times many people made a real effort to connect with Agnes and make her feel welcome.

Did a quick search under her profile and can't see any more posts. I guess we'll never know how Agnes is getting on unless she posts on the boards again.

As for the original subject...it's hard enough sometimes to truly know people that have been in your everyday work/family life for years, let alone somebody you've never actually met personally.

It seems to me that many people keep aspects of their personalities hidden from others, and many people don't even know themselves very well (denial is very powerful and I'm not talking about the river here). So it is very hard to know anybody, even oneself, let alone a famous singer that most of us have never met or had a real conversation with.

I feel that James' lyrics are very personal and quite autobiographical, but maybe I'm deluded about that. It could be that the opposite is true...maybe James has chosen his target market and writes emotive lyrics to press our buttons and keep us buying the CDs/going to concerts. But if that was the case I doubt that he could perform those songs with such passion and emotion, so I tend to stick with my original theory that James is communicating with us in a pretty honest way.

I think it's different for novelists...somebody who writes about murder doesn't have to have killed somebody to write a convincing story. But when you are looking at a singer/songwriter performing their own work in such an emotional way it is very hard not to believe that those lyrics are born of their own experiences and feelings. James seems like the genuine article to me.

W'fan
Post #20510
Posted 20 July 2010 20:54

Supreme Being

Last Login: 15 June 2017 05:43
***I too missed this thread last year...***Thank You Kt for bringing it to our attention and here we now remember Agnes...I hope she got better and can come back.Would love to hear from you Agnes if you are reading here still.You are a great POET ...as many here are.....I know people read here and never write.I started that way.....but as I wrote I felt welcomed !!!!

^^^^I was afraid to write in the beginning.^^^^^^^^^^^Agnes was bitter and appears Life has been hard on her but our boardies made her feel welcome even when she shared her bitterness.
Lonelydancer saving her before she left bitter.

Bless OUR BILLY for his remarks......and for not deleting this...
Post #20511
Posted 04 February 2016 16:37

Supreme Being

Last Login: 03 July 2018 21:42
Perceived vs real, what a delightful contradiction.

How do I know if what I perceived as real is actually real, as oppose to just my perception? It's an endless loop. LOL . I can't know for certain.

Back to the original discussion. I think James is who he is as the situation calls for it. He is all that you see. But I don't think his troubled introspective music sums up his entire person.

I think they're thoughts that he work out in his music to get clarity. Just like I how I would write in a diary about something that troubles me, which I would then revised over and over, until I have clarity about how I feel about it, and how I should proceed.

I think his music are thoughts that stand out from the normal background of his life, which is probably quite happy. In interviews, you see the quickness with which he cracks a joke. He makes a connection about what's being said with something silly and funny. That's probably because his mind is free and open. He wouldn't be able to do that if his mind was constantly bogged down with worries.

No, I don't think he's a depressed individual, or that he constantly mopped over one woman . There's more to the man, and he has a right keep it private.

But what do I know for certain, except what's in my mind? Maybe James lyrics in 'Satellites' is about the solipsism of our existence.

Are we all just satellites?
Where's the love? Show me tonight
Here's the moment we unite
For all we know life's just a dream
Who the hell knows what it means?
Stop the world and sing with me

(The perv in me thinks he saying, he doesn't know if anyone is real unless he sleeps with them. )

Post #275113
Posted 04 February 2016 22:40

Supreme Being

Last Login: Yesterday @ 12:12
Perceived v real that's deep!
Do we ourselves even know the difference?
Solipsism is a good word I had never heard it before
Nor thought it.

I agree with you mostly InnerSense James' ability to make connections is a huge factor. I always liked that he says that word a lot. The fact the outcome is often wit shows a positive mental process in my opinion.
Your take on the satellites lyrics with solipsism makes a lot of sense
But I perceive James to be less base than you suggest I think it's connections of the mind that matter. I don't mind and you don't matter! Kidding
Solipsism, very interesting, I must try saying it next time I'm pissed
But then again I prefer your opinion
Post #275126
Posted 05 February 2016 15:39

Supreme Being

Last Login: 03 July 2018 21:42
Well the though comes from the perverted corner of my mind, so it doesn't really have anything to do with James. Perceived vs real .. LOL

Honestly, I think he was saying that people are isolating themselves too much these days. Even though, we have technology that are supposed to help us bridge that gap, it ironically is enabling us to isolate ourselves even further. He advocates not just a meeting of the mind, but actual physical presence of another human being. I don't think that excludes sex. But you're right, it most likely isn't ONLY about sex. But why does sex between consenting adults have to be base?

Isolation and loneliness, for some is about a lack of human connection. Some take it to another level, and ask if we can truly know anyone, and they us? Then some to the ultimate level, can we be certain that anything outside our mind actually exist? Since our mind perceive everything through our senses, besides gravity, nothing else feels as real as the sight, sound, touch, smell, taste of a lover.

Finally, during a drunk fest, when your tongue and lips feel twice their thickness, and your brain feels quagmired in molasses, is in fact the perfect time to speak of solipsism.
Post #275142
Posted 05 February 2016 19:23

Supreme Being

Last Login: Yesterday @ 12:12
I'll drink to that any excuse!
I see what you're saying InnerSense and it makes sense
I didn't mean to denigrate sex by saying base. It's just the way my brain works I was thinking in the chakra sense the base chakra being mostly responsible for sex and physicality. There are four kinds of base after all first base, second base...
I'm so glad I hugged James
Post #275153
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

All times are GMT, Time now is 9:59am