James Blunt

Please also select your country:

Confirm your location by clicking on the relevant flag above.

Do not show me this message again.

Home       Members    Calendar
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

12345»»»

Does James have many male fans? Expand / Collapse
Author

Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 10 July 2018 01:41
Hi fellow fans,

I am new to the forum and just wondered if James has much of a male fan base at all?

When James was on Top Gear before Christmas I recorded the programme and showed my husband. He agreed with me that James came across as a lovely bloke, very charming, good sense of humour and so on. But...my husband hates his music!

I've tried to convert him but it's a lost cause. He says James howls a bit like a Wolverine...I can see what he means (esp. on Same Mistake) but I think it works well with the emotional lyrics of his songs. Actually when watching a documentary the other night about Artic Wolves there was a shot of them all howling into the air and I couldn't help but think of James and smile (especially with the beard and all...). I certainly can't imagine anybody else singing his songs to the same effect. The woman who has his cubs will be very lucky I think!

W'fan
Post #16443
Posted 29 February 2008 17:23
Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Last Login: 27 October 2011 21:34
Welcome aboard Wolverine...

That's actually quite giggle-worthy, your story about the Wolves.

I can honestly say that James's male fan base has grown a bit. Early shows I attended were sparse with men, but as time goes on, they are scattered more throughout, not to mention an influx of masculinity around these boards.

don't worry about your husband...he'll come around. He knows he loves it, he just hasn't accepted it yet.

Enjoy the madness around here.

Cheers...
gena
Post #16444
Posted 29 February 2008 17:29

Supreme Being

Last Login: 07 January 2019 17:42
Welcome Wolverine!

James' fan base used to be...umm I'd say, 80% women, 20% men.
Going by the last few shows I've attended, male audience has definately grown. It's probably a 60/40 split now.

Edit: Sorry...not enough caffiene.

Spinning on my heels....so far away from real <3
Post #16445
Posted 29 February 2008 17:38

Supreme Being

Thanks Trinity...not sure the maths adds up though...I reckon that a lot of blokes wouldn't want to admit how much they like him...so perhaps 20% male fan base is really nearer 30%!

I'm envious of all the people on the boards who've seen him live, or even met him for a chat...I noticed some new dates for October UK shows have been announced but the nearest one to where I live is London. Is the O2 Arena a nightmare to get to?

W'fan
Post #16446
Posted 29 February 2008 17:39
Supreme Being

Last Login: 02 March 2016 07:51
I saw lot's of men at the Hammersmith Apollo gig. I think James gained alot of male fan's by being on Top Gear. Several of the guy's at the place where i work was very impressed with James during his interview on the show and his fast lap.
Post #16447
Posted 29 February 2008 17:50

Supreme Being

Ah yes Lady Blunt...what he referred to as "the Top Gear effect" in one of his interviews I read somewhere. He did very well in that interview and even seemed to charm Jeremy Clarkson...not always easy.

W'fan
Post #16448
Posted 29 February 2008 18:10

Supreme Being

Last Login: Today @ 13:55
My hubby is a man, and I know a few other boardies are men too.
Post #16449
Posted 29 February 2008 18:47

Supreme Being

Last Login: 23 June 2017 13:20
Oh my god, You mean there are male fans here?? lol!

Well, the way I see it being an early male fan, it has sort of come full circle. The very early shows probably were about 50/50 male and female. An observation at my first show was it seems there were men there who had come along to see this new cool singer/songwriter they had heard about and had actually dragged their female partners along. As You're Beautiful became popular, suddenly the shows became predominately female (and younger too). This was also echoed in these messageboards... In 2004, there wasnt the huge list of members as there is now, but I would say a good percentage of the early active members were male.

I noticed at the Hammersmith Apollo there seemed to be a good male/female balance. When it comes down to it, its not about being male or female..its whether you like the music or not.

...I'm just so glad I don't have to dress up in drag just to get into any of the shows anymore....those heels were killing me!!
Post #16450
Posted 29 February 2008 19:03

Supreme Being

Fentiger..."dress up in drag" - classic! Now you know what us females have to go through!

Glad he has male fans too...I've see a lot of negative postings by males on other boards about JB and think many of them are just jealous of him really.

W'fan
Post #16451
Posted 29 February 2008 19:30
Supreme Being

Hmmm...if other males are taking the time out of their lives to post about our lovely JB on other boards perhaps that says something about those males they don't want to admit.
Post #16452
Posted 29 February 2008 22:31
Supreme Being

Last Login: 26 August 2010 22:54
I'll be honest, besides the few men here I personally don't know of any male fans. I'm sure the media's backlash doesn't help because guys probably think he's just "chick music" or some other lame reason.
Post #16453
Posted 29 February 2008 22:39

Supreme Being

Last Login: 25 November 2010 19:40
I don't know about other countries, but here in the UK, blokes are kind of expected to like "Lads" music ... indie or rock .. anything else is considered girlie, especially music like James's that actually expresses emotion - heaven forbid that a bloke should express emotion!!!

I totally agree with what Fen said .. when I first joined this board, the membership was about 50/50 and the guys were very dominant. They only seemed to disappear when the music started being labelled as girlies. Its great to see the fanbase evening itself back out again, and that there are blokes finally admitting they like proper music!
Post #16454
Posted 01 March 2008 02:41
Supreme Being

Last Login: 26 August 2010 22:55
heehee my dad is! he laughs at everything james says!
Post #16455
Posted 01 March 2008 02:46
Supreme Being

Last Login: 19 May 2018 10:07
i think a lot of the male fans are hiding behind their female counterparts.

my friend's husband had no idea who james blunt was and she slipped B2B in and he was hooked and went so far as to say..."this is really good music".

my brother in law listens to ATLS continually...as for my own hubby, he probably would never put ATLS or B2B in the CD player, but he knows the words to all the songs and will quietly sing along and says he has a lot of respect for james and how he handles his business, and what he does for charity.

and famous fen, i'm so glad you can go to a show in comfort these days!
Post #16456
Posted 01 March 2008 14:00
Supreme Being

Last Login: 06 September 2010 18:34
Here I am! lol

Honestly...I know only female fans...
In Italy, in particular, a lot of people doesn't know english very good and can't appreciate James' music...
However, there are quite much female fans, but not male ones...

Mikele
Post #16457
Posted 02 March 2008 02:13
Forum Member

Forum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum Member

Last Login: 26 August 2010 22:57
I am a male, i love james, i think a lot of men do but dont admit it for some strange reason
Post #16458
Posted 04 March 2008 14:33

Supreme Being

Last Login: 23 February 2018 23:11
I'm 99% male 1% cotton.

Post #16459
Posted 04 March 2008 14:35
Forum Member

Forum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum MemberForum Member

Last Login: 26 August 2010 22:57
how are you 1% cotton???
Post #16460
Posted 04 March 2008 18:09
Forum Guru

Forum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum Guru

Last Login: 26 August 2010 22:58
My girlfriend got me hooked to JB!! ...Thanx Mony!
Post #16461
Posted 04 March 2008 19:10

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 31 March 2017 01:50
Guess I'm an anomaly. A male fan who's become a die-hard fan just recently.
I'm here in Los Angeles, and I just love his music.

You might not think so judging by other bands I love.
I'm a huge fan of Genesis, Yes and Marillion. And, if that doesn't conjure up sweaty-prog-fanboy, nothing will! (In fact, you can see me sing with the LA Genesis Tribute Band GABBLE RATCHET, if you're at all curious: www.gabbleratchet.com)
What I love about those bands is the humanity and passion, something James has in spades! With the prog groups, it's just usually more symphonic in structure.

'Course I've also been a longtime fan of Elton John and Cat Stevens who're in the same vein. And, more recently, I dove into Sarah McLachlan's music (through my wife's love of her).

But, I've been lucky enough to have seen JB here in LA twice now, and I can't get enough!
Sitting beside me now are about 30 discs, from singles to comp's to Japanese imports to the Live ones from the recent UK shows--And, I'm still looking for the rarities I have yet to find!!

So, yeah, I'm a straight male who absolutely loves all of this guy's music.
And, I don't wear high heels.

Just the fishnets.

Your fellow fan,

David
Post #16462
Posted 05 March 2008 09:42
Forum Guru

Forum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum Guru

Hi...we seem to be a relative minority here right? I dig the way you put that. Speaking about 'human' bands and artists, that's something I always look for in any singer/musician......you're dead right, JB is not made of plastic like ...say....90% of artists out there.

Rob
Post #16463
Posted 05 March 2008 11:43

Supreme Being

Last Login: 09 October 2018 12:26
I know some. They are my older son's friends , and my younger son likes him too, but he is just a child yet. My husband.....so he told me he likes Wisemen an So long Jimmy . You dont know what a big thing it is .
Post #16464
Posted 05 March 2008 13:27

Supreme Being

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 14:27
I never wore the high heels but I've considered the fish nets LOL.

I'm a man and a fan of James'
Post #16465
Posted 05 March 2008 14:35
Forum Guru

Hahahahahahahhahaha
Post #16466
Posted 05 March 2008 16:30
Supreme Being

Last Login: 22 November 2017 13:56
ONE OF HIS BIGGEST FANS IN MY AREA
Post #16467
Posted 29 July 2008 21:06

JB.com Admin

JB.com AdminJB.com AdminJB.com AdminJB.com AdminJB.com AdminJB.com AdminJB.com AdminJB.com Admin

Group: Administrators
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 21:21
ScottGoldbergFilms posted -

Am I the only male fan on this board? LOL! It seems so. 26 years young.
Post #16469
Posted 29 July 2008 21:14
Supreme Being

Last Login: 26 August 2010 22:56
You may be one male of a few , who show themselves here , but know that you are one amongst many who love James' music and messages.

I can say that as a Brickie's wife, who has shared a few stories of work mates who have downed trowels when James's songs have been heard on the radio on the scaffold, to sing a long with James!

Would love to have been there ..............
Post #16470
Posted 30 July 2008 17:30

Supreme Being

Last Login: 22 February 2018 17:30
my husband Thommy is male and sometimes he sais he is a bigger fan than I am..(don´t believe that!)

After hearing ATLS and B2B three of our friends wanted to have the album, two, because they found the music fantastic! But they don´t go with us at the concerts
Post #16471
Posted 30 July 2008 18:23

Supreme Being

Last Login: 23 June 2017 13:20
I'm still here! And coincidently (really it was) I just checked my profile and saw I've been coming since I joined the old boards on 30th July 2004. Exactly 4 years to the day... blimey and wow!

HELPPP MEEEE ! LET ME OUT OF THIS BLUNT NIGHTMARE!!!

...only joking! ha ha!
Post #16472
Posted 30 July 2008 18:49
Supreme Being

Of all the people....you're the last one who will be able to escape the 'Blunt' drama. You're in it for life, Fen.

I am certain there is a high percentage of a male fan base, but many of them likely just don't post as much as we female types do.
Post #16473
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

12345»»»

All times are GMT, Time now is 8:05pm