James Blunt

Please also select your country:

Confirm your location by clicking on the relevant flag above.

Do not show me this message again.

Home       Members    Calendar
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

SOME KIND OF TROUBLE Expand / Collapse
Author

Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 14 December 2018 21:59
I found this review on Amazon.ca:

http://www.amazon.ca/product-reviews/B004WP1UYO/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Album Number 3 is Definitely Album Number 1, Mar 31 2011

By Paul S. Power "Music Reviewer" (Nova Scotia, Canada)

This review is from: Some Kind of Trouble (Audio CD)

The thing that made James Blunt stand out so much when he first stepped into the international spotlight in 2005 was his voice. It was unique. The fact that he is an excellent songwriter also helped, and that his back-story was pretty interesting (British Army service in Kosovo, etc). He has released 3 albums so far and he's had his share of detractors, some making fun of his patented sound. The fact that the guy has sold millions of albums, lives in Ibiza and dates supermodels is a good indication of who has the last laugh on that matter.

His second album, "All The Lost Souls" (2007) was a bit darker and more introspective than his debut album, but contained the fantastic song "1973", which for me stands out so much because when I first saw/heard it I was in my favourite pub in Scotland, watching music videos. That James Blunt moment will always be with me. This album (number 3) comes across as much more cheerful and optimistic than it's predecessor.

The first song released off this CD was "Stay The Night", and even though it came out before last winter it's a 100% pure summer song. Light, enjoyable and catchy. It's impossible to hear the song and not think of a breeze blowing through the car window and long hot nights on the beach. There are some wonderful surprises on this album as well; "Turn Me On" sounds like a cross between Kings of Leon and The White Stripes. "Dangerous" offers a hip 1980's style drum machine and Dire Straits-like guitars. "These Are The Words" is a slick and groovy number with, again, guitar work that pays homage to Dire Straits. These two songs are great. Looking at a few more tracks, "So Far Gone" again travels a similar path to Kings of Leon and "I'll Be Your Man" is a joyous hand-clapping romp that has a folk rock vibe to it.

It would be naďve to think that a James Blunt album wouldn't have quieter moments on it, he is after all the man who gave the world one of the most popular contemporary songs used at funerals ("Goodbye My Lover"). In that vein, "Best Laid Plans" is a one-sided love song and "No Tears" is very much like a Robbie Williams ballad, of which James said the song is "the summing up of a life", it's a very deep and reflective song. It is also a great track. I personally think this CD is James Blunt's best work so far.

Post #178405
Posted 18 July 2011 03:26

Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

I don't know how I could have missed this video recorded live on Ustream on January 18th 2011 for the release of SKOT in United States. James answers questions from fans and performs his new songs with the band. One of the highlight is when he sings "If Time Is All I Have" sitting on a stool... he wipes two tears at the end. All the emotion he puts in this rendition makes me shiver.

http://www.popeater.com/2011/01/18/james-blunt-plugs-in-and-performs-songs-off-some-kind-of-trouble/

James Blunt Plugs In and Performs Songs off 'Some Kind of Trouble'

By Charley Rogulewski Posted Jan 18th 2011 10:30AM

James Blunt is " f**king happy," and his good mood has rubbed off on his third studio album, 'Some Kind of Trouble,' that hits stores today. After two years of non-stop touring behind 2007's 'All the Lost Souls,' Blunt was burned out and found himself searching for his inner innocence. The songs on 'Some Kind of Trouble' aren't those depressing love-drenched ballads most people associate Blunt with. Instead, the lyrics are about everyday experiences, like hanging out with friends and not wanting the night to end. "That was important to me, just to feel connected to the normal, real world," Blunt told PopEater. Today Blunt joins us to perform the new upbeat tunes off 'Some Kind of Trouble.' He'll also be talking about the year he spent getting into trouble and recording the 13-track offering. Check out the exclusive broadcast below, starting today at 11AM ET.

James Blunt Live at Studio 1290 (New-York)
Lenght: 23min16

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/12096628#utm_campaign=synclickback&source=http://www.popeater.com/2011/01/18/james-blunt-plugs-in-and-performs-songs-off-some-kind-of-trouble/&medium=12096628
Post #186086
Posted 10 August 2011 23:52

Supreme Being

Last Login: 20 November 2017 20:33
Joseph, enjoy every single song of it!!!
Post #189214
Posted 11 August 2011 13:32

Supreme Being

Last Login: 22 January 2017 15:31
hello jbfan 132, what a nice performance, James and the guys are so funny! I love it. I have the cd since 4. november and I listen it almost daily in the exchange with the other two.
Post #189253
Posted 26 August 2011 15:07

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 06 November 2014 17:33
I like Blunt's music but I had known just few of his songs which I had heard from radio. Later I've played some songs on YouTube and I've decided to buy his CD. So I've done two weeks ago and from this time I listen to it every day... I can't help myself but I really love this CD
Post #191068
Posted 26 August 2011 15:18

Supreme Being

Last Login: 03 November 2014 09:09
Elenka (26/08/2011)
I like Blunt's music but I had known just few of his songs which I had heard from radio. Later I've played some songs on YouTube and I've decided to buy his CD. So I've done two weeks ago and from this time I listen to it every day... I can't help myself but I really love this CD

Welcome to the blunty world! ;-)
Post #191069
Posted 26 August 2011 15:35

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 06 November 2014 17:33
Thanks, I really enjoy it here
Post #191071
Posted 27 September 2011 21:46

Forum Guru

Forum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum Guru

Last Login: 06 March 2012 13:43
I place an order for a CD few days ago. I was HARD trying to find CD in music shop, but too many times it was said: "What are you looking for? Who?! James Blunt? Let's see on computer" and there were nothing One day I was happy that there were one CD in music shop, but shop-assistant couldn't find it and said: "May be somebody steal it?". So... it is TOO hard to find James Blunt CD in Moscow But I DO hope that my order wouldn't decline and discs come to me soon. I'll never give up
Post #195102
Posted 20 November 2011 13:46

Supreme Being

Last Login: 20 April 2014 19:07
Was going to start a new thread but thought I'd just add it here.... Apparently SKOT is getting a 'Just In Time For Christmas' re-release as Trouble Revisted

Track listing:
CD
Stay The Night
Dangerous
Best Laid Plans
So Far Gone
No Tears
Superstar
These Are The Words
Calling Out Your Name
Heart Of Gold
I'll Be Your Man
If Time Is All I Have
Turn Me On
BONUS TRACKS
There She Goes Again
Into The Dark
Stay the Night [Fred Falke Remix]
Dangerous [Deniz Koyu & Johan Wedel Remix]

DVD
Live From The Palbo Festival

So Far Gone
Dangerous
Billy
Wisemen
Carry You Home
These Are The Words
I'll Take Everything
Out Of My Mind
Goodbye My Lover
High
Same Mistake
Turn Me On
Superstar
You're Beautiful
So Long Jimmy
I'll Be Your Man
Stay The Night

Music Videos
Stay The Night
So Far Gone
Dangerous
If Time Is All I Have
I'll Be Your Man

Available to pre-order from Amazon.co.uk*, HMV, Play and probably the official store at some point

*Have now notified Amazon about lower prices elsewhere, so hopefully it won't be long till they price match it

Huggles
Vhari x
Post #200823
Posted 21 November 2011 01:20

Supreme Being

Vhazza, a thread is opened on this topic here

http://www.jamesblunt.com/forum/Topic199609-6-1.aspx
Post #200879
Posted 04 February 2012 20:06

Supreme Being

The inspiration for SKOT album cover! Bear Grylls throwing his youngest son in the air...

http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr353/jbfan132/miscellaneous/bear_grylls_huckleberry.jpg

More information in this thread:
http://www.jamesblunt.com/forum/Topic207916-12-1.aspx

Post #208283
Posted 29 February 2012 19:58

Supreme Being

Last Login: 19 May 2018 13:50
I have jst got james new album today after school so I can put it onto my ipod and listen to all the songs everyday while I wait for his nxt world tour and I'll probably be in perth by then.
Post #210203
Posted 06 January 2013 15:47
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: 12 January 2013 17:43
I thought no album could beat Back To Bedlam, but Some Kind of Trouble is a beautiful album, No Tears being my favourite.  I listen to it at least 3 times a week on my Ipod whilst jogging - its the only incentive to keep me going!  James, you are a legend, can't back for the 4th album!
Post #225187
Posted 08 January 2013 04:58
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: 08 January 2013 04:51
@Karen66 : Same thing for me. I love this album. Every time I listen to the song "No Tears", I cry. You'll tell me it's paradoxal but I can't help it. I love James Blunt. He's such a talented guy. ♥
Post #225225
Posted 24 January 2013 01:59

Supreme Being

This interview published on a blog had escaped our attention in February 2011. According to the info given in the article, the author Ben Bamsey interviewed James in New York on November 11th 2010. Although the two first paragraphs don't give us any new information, I found interesting to read the author and James' comments after.

http://eklektx.com/james-blunt/

James Blunt
Sunday, February 20, 2011

He sang about a girl that made him fucking high in an octave to prove it. But before James Blunt crooned, “You’re Beautiful,” he drove a tank for the British Army, and was the captain who led 30,000 troops into Kosovo. Among his duties in the Balkan Peninsula in 1999 was to seize the Priština Airport. Two hundred Russian troops had arrived there first, however, and the order from NATO commanders was to overpower them. But Blunt and his ground general refused, believing it could start WWIII, and instead found a way to work with the Russians to share the facility. Blunt’s cavalry unit did flex its military might in the region, ultimately driving Milošević and the Yugoslav Army out, but James Blunt brought more than just a gun to the Balkans. Strapped to the outside of his tank was a six-string guitar, and through music he wrote about the madness…

Blunt was born into the military on a base where his father served, and his grandfathers before that dating back to the 10th century. The patriarchs preached army, but Mom gave him the gift of music. Beatles, Beach Boys, The Doors, and the great singer/songwriters of the late 1970’s soothed his artistic soul. Blunt learned the piano and violin by age seven. At 14, he was writing songs and playing guitar in a covers band, and later added the organ, marimba and Mellotron to his repertoire. Blunt’s calling was song, but his destiny was service. He earned a pilot’s license at age 16, went to army-sponsored college and quickly earned his stripes in the armed forces. After Kosovo, Blunt stood guard at Buckingham Palace and was on duty during the Queen Mother’s funeral. Then, in 2002, after six years of service to his country, Blunt traded in marching orders for a soft falsetto. With raw talent, a worldly perspective and an abundance of honest songs, Blunt hit the road to share his soul. Fans fell in love with this sensitive balladeer, rocketing him into the stratosphere of the music elite. Mentioned in the same breath as David Gray, Damien Rice and even a young Elton John, Blunt sold a staggering 18 million albums during the 2000’s and earned five Grammy nominations. After two world tours and setting three Guinness World Records along the way, Blunt is now set to release his third studio album, Some Kind of Trouble in January 2011.

Ironically, it was Veteran’s Day when I sat down to talk to James Blunt in New York. With a noisy parade of patriotism passing by, I began by thanking him for his service, and then asking him if he had a lasting image from his days in uniform. He recounted the inhumanity, violence and death he witnessed, along with the courage and compassion of many, but his most vivid reflection came seven years after the war. “I went back to do a documentary on Kosovo, and it is still totally scarred, emotionally and physically,” he said. “Here it is all that time after, and yet the scars of war will last for generations. What it taught me is that violence only creates more violence, and that diplomacy is incredibly important. If we just try and understand other people’s perspectives and try and reach a balance of tolerance – that’s the fastest path towards achieving peace.”

Like his singing, Blunt’s speaking comes straight from the heart. Experience has tested him, yet his ability to process emotion is as relatable as it is deep. “No Bravery” and “Same Mistake” are more than songs; they are therapeutic journal entries about a brutal war witnessed first-hand. When it comes to love, Blunt sits first chair in Cupid’s orchestra – a virtuoso at plucking heartstrings. From the ode to an angel in “High” to the despair of letting her go in “Goodbye My Lover,” Blunt’s jukebox spins all emotions into submission on the dance floor. This graduate of Sociology from the University of Bristol has long been interested in the empirical investigation of the human condition. “Cry” is his dissertation on companionship.

With every word and musical arrangement, Blunt achieves sincerity. It’s a quality that attracts loyal fans and repels people who prefer to live in the clouds. The singer is meticulous in his presentation – a perfectionist who spent more than a year locked in his studio fine-tuning Some Kind of Trouble. It’s an important album for Blunt, who views it as a new chapter in his career. He calls Back to Bedlam and All the Lost Souls bookends – the action of innocence followed by the reaction of losing it. In the snap of a finger James Blunt went from “unrecognizable man on the street” to the singer who knocked an established Coldplay from the top spot on the charts. All of a sudden his every move was dissected, every song critiqued. Fame and expectation slapped him around when it came time to write a follow-up. “All the Lost Souls was recorded with the audience in mind. It was quite introverted, and much darker than the first,” he reflects. Despite debuting at number one in ten countries and selling five million copies, Blunt feels his voice got lost in a big pair of britches, as though making profound statements had somehow become more important than tying his shoes.

Blunt’s junior album reinvents the cherry. Gone are his long locks, and back is his boyish charm. He does not play rock star in this act; instead he’s in the middle of the crowd partying like everyone else. “I’m very settled now. I’ve been hanging out with my friends, living an ordinary life. I’ve had normal experiences. That’s why I feel this third album has new and fresh emotions, topics and lyrics that any human alive and conscious will be able to relate to. My naďve optimism has returned.” As a result, Some Kind of Trouble is upbeat, leaning towards naughty, yet still grounded in honest prose. The first single, “Stay the Night,” is a sexy, acoustic-driven dance ditty slathered in California love. It’s a simple song about perfect weather, a brilliant sunset and a blossoming romance. “It has this feeling that it was written around a campfire,” Blunt says about the track penned alongside Ryan Tedder of OneRepublic and producer Steve Robson. “I’m hoping Arnold Schwarzenegger is going to call me up and commission me to use it as a holiday commercial.”

The bittersweet “These Are the Words” aches of a ripe vulnerability turned sour, while the trenchant “Superstar” gives Hollywood a golden shower. “He says times like these I don’t want to be a superstar/Cause reality TV killed them all in America/Oh the sun always shines in a magazine/Tonight can we be free to be who we really are? Anchoring this album is the poignant, unsentimental ballad “No Tears” – a song that seems to sum up a life. “I am proud of it melodically and how it’s structured,” Blunt says, “but lyrically I love its sense of understanding and resolution. It recognizes that I have made mistakes, I have regrets, I’m the one that’s made this bed, so I lie in it – and that is me.”

After song 11 on the new album there’s five seconds of dead air. It’s meant for listeners to soak everything in before Blunt hurls sauna steam on them. Track thirteen is titled “Turn Me On,” and on it sultry bass plays hard-to-get with the pulsating percussion. Blunt oozes lyrics like, “Underwater with someone’s daughter/Gonna make you a dirty woman,” while his lead guitar finds satisfaction through an explosive staccato riff. Atlantic did not want this scorcher on the record. The label agreed after Blunt proposed separating the song from the rest. “Kinda’ makes it stand out even more,” he smirks.

Blunt enjoyed a similar triumph when Custard Records told him the word “fucking” in “You’re Beautiful” had to go. “I told them, ‘No way,’” Blunt says. “I’d already written the song. If I changed it, then that would have been a lie. They looked at other versions, ‘I am especially high,’ ‘I am particularly high,’ ‘I am really, rather high.’ But, come on! I mean when you’re high, and you’re really high – what are you? You’re fucking high! I enjoy words, and I use words for a reason, not for an effect. Sometimes a swear word is entirely relevant.” For the radio, Blunt did change the lyrics to “flying high,” because he believes that airplay singles are simply commercials to get listeners to check out the deeper tracks on an album. He’s always wanted his music to speak for itself, and articulating a song’s meaning makes him uncomfortable. “If I would’ve wanted more words, I would have written another verse,” he says.

A military turned music hero, Blunt takes good care of the soil that holds his roots – giving time and money to environmental, humanitarian and veterans’ health causes. Now that Blunt has sprung from his creative cave, he can’t wait to share the new material with his fans, kicking off a world tour in early 2011… “I have a great band that helped record this album, and we’re going to have the time of our lives playing these songs for everybody.”

Written by: Ben Bamsey
Photography by: Andrew Zaeh & Frank Micelotta
Post #225856
Posted 24 January 2013 09:19
Supreme Being

Last Login: 24 December 2017 14:07
Very interesting jbfan, thanks!

Especially the point about if he wanted to explain the lyrics he would have done it with another verse...
I like that. Of course i´d like to know more sometimes but i´m glad he resists the pressure of telling people too much. It would take away from the magic.
Post #225868
Posted 24 January 2013 15:28
Supreme Being

Last Login: 17 June 2017 11:36
He's so adorable. Nice read. Thanks for sharing. xx
Post #225878
Posted 24 January 2013 16:12
Supreme Being

Last Login: 24 December 2017 14:07
I understand, Susan.
I think what you would like to know is what James means by it all. I would like to know that, too, but still don´t want him to say. He should have some secret sacred emotions that he's not sharing the meaning with the world is what i think. His music is so personal, everything else about it should be his treasure.
I am sometimes afraid for him that he gives too much away and will break over it.

Californiagirl, he is so very cute!!!!
Post #225881
Posted 26 June 2013 18:44

Supreme Being

Last Login: 17 June 2017 15:53
Just listening to SKOT for the millionth time, I never get bored of it, each time feels like the first listen!

Just thought I would share it with you all

Post #231239
Posted 31 July 2013 21:11

Forum Guru

Forum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum GuruForum Guru

Last Login: 13 March 2014 12:02
I love all of JB's music. His first two albums are very moving and have great depth to them.
I was delighted with SKOT as he sounds happy and light. It's a great driving album IMO to
sing along to on the M5 !!
I love some of the lines too.....very funny "Under water....someone's daughter....gonna make you a dirty woman" is so original. Lovely.
Post #233325
Posted 11 October 2016 19:01

Supreme Being

Last Login: 03 July 2018 21:42
I don't remember much air play on Canadian radio, but that could just be me being unaware and out of touch with the world. It seems to have been not as well received as the first two albums. Despite that, I think this is a strong album, full of beautifully crafted songs. The style is a bit different, though what I enjoy and admire is James' commitment to honesty and authenticity, and that has been consistent. If I had to rank, this is my 2nd favourite album. I'm a bit sadden that it's not properly catalogued on this site, as I really believe it a fantastic album and something to be proud of.
Post #277866
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

All times are GMT, Time now is 2:19am