James Blunt

Please also select your country:

Confirm your location by clicking on the relevant flag above.

Do not show me this message again.

Home       Members    Calendar
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

««12345»»»

No Tears Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 02 February 2017 05:26
Hi No Tears is as a very good song even I´m trying to decide between the other 11 songs which one would be the best it is kind of difficult.
Post #153970
Posted 19 November 2010 09:10

Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Last Login: 08 July 2018 19:21
I just keep playing this song over and over again.  I think the lyrics are lovely and James' voice sounds great on it.  It has really touched me.
Post #153982
Posted 19 November 2010 17:55

Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Last Login: 22 February 2018 17:30
last sunday while breakfast we heard SKOT. As this song came, my eyes got more and more filled with tears. I couldn´t stop that. Thommy came around and hold me in his arms.... strange!

ina

Post #154030
Posted 23 November 2010 12:37
Supreme Being

Last Login: 30 November 2017 10:11
Love this song love his voice and everything about it, can't wait to hear it live
Post #154588
Posted 23 November 2010 14:38

Supreme Being

Last Login: 20 November 2017 20:33
I can't stop listening to it. It's one of the best of this album, so touching
Post #154604
Posted 25 November 2010 01:02

Supreme Being

Last Login: 15 March 2018 21:17
This is now my favourite...when I hear the words "you've had angels in your head?" I feel swept away...
Post #154793
Posted 27 November 2010 14:07
Supreme Being

Last Login: 25 February 2017 18:36
I feel more for this song with every play. 
Post #155236
Posted 27 November 2010 19:07
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: 28 November 2010 15:07
I just love this song ! It's one of my favourite. But I'm not sure I understand what it's about !!! i'm French you see and English songs are sometimes difficult to understand. If you could help me ... Thank you !
Catmai
Post #155337
Posted 28 November 2010 14:55
Forum Newbie

Last Login: 28 November 2010 15:07
My mother died a month ago and I can't listen to this song without crying ...she had angels in her head ... and she's been all the things wshe want to be ... thank you James ... No tears it's easy to say ...
Post #155427
Posted 28 November 2010 16:07

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 20 December 2010 16:19
Sorry to hear of your loss Catmai. I lost my mother at a young age and understand the grief that you are going through. The good things about James' music it allows you to let out your emotions. His music has helped me through many a sad time. I don't think James fully understands the comfort his 'sad ' songs have for many and although most people like to listen to upbeat music a lot of the time there is a place for his 'miserable' songs too and anyone suffering will identify with that and will hold his music close to their hearts. It takes around two years before most people can come to terms with the loss of a loved one. There are five stages of bereavement . 1. Disbelief , you can't believe it has happened. 2. Anger, blaming others or yourself. 3. Why me, if only, a time for regrets. 4. Depression, this can last for a short time or a long time, sometimes the doctor may decide to give out medication to help some people cope. 5. The last stage is acceptance, and although you may still miss those you have lost you can look back at the times with fond memories without getting too upset. Above all your emotions are better out than in and James' music will help you.

The song No Tears, seems to be written in the perspective of someone leaving this world and having no regrets and the sympathy should be with those left behind. I wish I was fortunate enough to have been everything I could have been, If so I would have married James years ago
Post #155453
Posted 10 December 2010 00:00

Supreme Being

Last Login: 11 November 2017 14:32
Wow, wow...beautiful.
Post #157296
Posted 22 December 2010 13:02
Supreme Being

Last Login: 30 November 2017 10:11
love this song

''The song No Tears, seems to be written in the perspective of someone leaving this world and having no regrets and the sympathy should be with those left behind.''

Yes indeed ForeverAutumn that's how I see it now, and it is one of my favourite Blunty songs ever. 

Looking too deep into it I initially thought it was akin to Bowies loneliest guy (where he says he's not the loneliest guy he's the luckiest guy) however in Bowies song that's not the case, everything about it points to him being the loneliest guy and the way he performs it certainly pertains to this.  So back to No tears I thought it was also an opposite meaning, and that he had not been everything he wanted to be at all! Just saying don't cry for me.  Anyway whatever way we interpret it I love it.

Post #159478
Posted 27 December 2010 17:35

Supreme Being

Last Login: 14 December 2018 21:59
Here's what James said in interview about "No Tears":

Blunt's turning point Lynn Cameron

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/blunts-turning-point/story-fn6bm8z4-1225953123465

He regards the track No Tears as his milestone on the album.

"I really love it, the structure and the words," he says. "Lyrically, it's really special. It's a revolution, in a way. It took me a week to write and it's essentially about loss without regret - yes, I've made mistakes, but they were my responsibility, my mistakes to make."

Post #160219
Posted 27 December 2010 21:37

Supreme Being

Last Login: 08 July 2018 19:21
Thanks very much for that Aline.  This has become my favourite track of the album now.  There is something about it that just draws me into it - I love the lyrics and particularly the line regarding angels in your head..  I think James' vocals on it are so beautiful and the tune is wonderful too.

I can't just listen to this once - I have to replay it several times. 

Just stunning and I so hope we hear it Live

Post #160248
Posted 10 January 2011 18:17

Supreme Being

Group: Banned Members
Last Login: 22 September 2011 11:03
I think I read somewhere that this song on the album was the important one for him like Same Mistake was on All the Lost Souls. His Milestone as in developments in his life.
To remind you the lyrics are:

Don't I know it
Nobody has to say
I've been lucky
Guess I was born that way

I thank my father
His absence has made me strong
And I love my mother
But she had troubles with God

No tears

For the life that you led
You had angels in your head
Did you hear them singing in the end?

Are the things I do see
Are the things that could have been
Well I've been everything I wanna be
So no tears, no tears for me

Yeah I've bathed in sunshine
But cherished the fading light
And I heard my heartbeat falter
On a winters night
I loved a woman
But she didn't hear my prayers
So lord, oh lord, I'm yours

And no tears

Did you hear them singing in the air?
All the things that do seem

So no tears, no tears

Because someone somewhere's going home tonight
Try to understand the sacrifice
So save your tears for those left behind

Did you hear them singing in the end?
Are the things I do see

So no tears
No tears
No tears for me

It would make a good choice for a funeral song. In fact it is a song that would help the bereaved as they are told he was happy how his life turned out, but now he is gone the focus should be on those left behand. Of course it is open to interpretation. If we all believed that the deceased were satisfied with how their lives turned out, and had a belief in Jesus 'So lord, oh lord, I'm yours', then it will be easier to accept. It is a song that offers comfort and will help those bereaved move on.

I know James has humanitarian beliefs, I wonder if he is now a born again Christian?
'Because someone somewhere's going home tonight', I take it he means home to the God the father. I don't believe life here on earth is our true home either. I sometimes feel homesick for a home I can't remember, and wonder if our time on earth is just an experiment, and we will find our true home when we die.

'Jesus said, “My kingdom is not of this world. If it were, my servants would fight to prevent my arrest by the Jewish leaders. But now my kingdom is from another place.”'

The world is a difficult place in which to live whether rich or poor. We are all servants in one way or another. Musicians are our servants as they provide a service in providing us music, and they suffer in their own right. They have to travel, be available to the media, have their lives analysed by everyone, have little privacy, are criticised by the media, they have few pleasures, little time to themselves. Sports people too are servants in that they are providing us with entertainment. Other occupations, such as doctors and nurses are servants too, they provide a service to the sick, and are also on demand, and are criticised. In fact whatever job you have you will probably find you are serving someone. Therefore our time on earth is maybe to learn how to be a servant.

James' music provides pleasure and is also a medium to analyse ourselves and the world.
Post #162083
Posted 10 January 2011 22:12

Supreme Being

Last Login: 10 July 2018 01:41
Crikey, there's a lot of food for thought there T!  You've been quiet for a while, but now you've given us something to ponder on.

I had the feeling you had quite strong beliefs about Jesus and God.  It's good to be open about them, because now it's much easier to understand where you're coming from.

I agree that this would make a good funeral song and also your point about us all being servants in one way or another is a good one.  I find it hard to believe in God, but I think there's a lot to be said for trying to uphold Christian values.  

I can't recall James ever talking about religion in any of his interviews.  Maybe he doesn't have a formal faith as such, but I think he is a spiritual person, in his own way. 

W'fan
Post #162186
Posted 10 January 2011 23:03

Supreme Being

The clue is in his lyrics W'fan. 'Lord, Lord I'm yours'.

If he is saying this song is his milestone song on the album then maybe we can assume his lyrics are true and not just for effect or to ryhme?

He mentions the Holy spirit in his lyrics in 'I'll Take Everything' ...'Holy Spirit Rise in me'

Religion is something people feel protective of.
Post #162212
Posted 10 January 2011 23:19

Supreme Being

I agree with a lot of what you're saying Tracey but this verse below also makes me think of people in the service. It is a great sacrifice and some pay the ultimate sacrifice with their lives. And some go home and others stay and are left behind.

Also, I feel it could be about someone that has died by the lyrics saying they were everything they wanted to be and not to cry for them. I do think it is a very beautiful song and it sounds like James is talking about himself. When the woman didn't hear his prayers and he said Lord I'm yours...it's like he didn't want to live anymore. All the things that you've seen...he has seen terrible things.

Having no regrets and being everything you want to be...is something we all would like to be able to say at the end of our lives. I don't think many can say it though.
Post #162222
Posted 11 January 2011 00:02

Supreme Being

hookedonJames (10/01/2011)
... this verse below also makes me think of people in the service. It is a great sacrifice and some pay the ultimate sacrifice with their lives. And some go home and others stay and are left behind.

Yes hooked, definitely a nod to his past life in the army I think.  Maybe James lost a friend and it made him reflect on his own life and how he will feel when he faces the end of his own life.

...having no regrets and being everything you want to be...is something we all would like to be able to say at the end of our lives. I don't think many can say it though.

How true hooked.  James does seem to be talking about himself...acknowledging that in many ways he's had a charmed life and achieved the things he set out to achieve.  He seems to be saying that he's pleased with the way his life has gone, he's reached his goals, and even though a certain woman "didn't hear [his] prayers" he's not dwelling on that...there's no self pity here, more an acceptance of the way things have turned out.  I've long believed that James is not destined to have a long life and I think he feels that, too.  Maybe that's why he's living his life in the fast lane and making the most of it.

W'fan
Post #162255
Posted 11 January 2011 00:03

Supreme Being

hookedonjames 10/01/2010
I agree with a lot of what you're saying Tracey but this verse below also makes me think of people in the service. It is a great sacrifice and some pay the ultimate sacrifice with their lives. And some go home and others stay and are left behind.

You could be right hooked he may be talking about those left behind in the war zone. And he was one of those going home, so maybe he is saying save your tears for those left behind. The beautiful thing about music is it is open for interpretation, and the songs will be analysed, like poetry, long after the artist has left this world.

It would also be meaningful if he was saying save your tears for those left behind, meaning the family and loved ones of the deceased.

Post #162256
Posted 11 January 2011 00:11

Supreme Being

Yes, T.  Both meanings apply equally well in the context of James' life and the song.

What a fantastic song this is.  I'm glad that James refers to it as a favourite/milestone song on the album, in the same way that Same Mistake was from ATLS.  It always seems to me that the songs that are the most personal to James himself are often the ones which resonate strongly with me.  He and I come from very different worlds, but his lyrics strike a real chord with me...along with millions of other people.  James is one very talented songwriter, probably the best of his generation.

W'fan
Post #162258
Posted 11 January 2011 00:14

Supreme Being

Woverinefan 10/01/2010
James is one very talented songwriter, probably the best of his generation.

Agree wholeheartedly with this statement w'fan, but would say the best of all time.
Post #162260
Posted 11 January 2011 00:22

Supreme Being

Do you think maybe we're a little bit biased T?!?

Brings to mind a certain advert...to paraphrase...

James Blunt doesn't do beer...but if he did, it would probably be the best beer in the world!

He's just such a clever bloke I think he could do anything he set his mind to.

W'fan
Post #162266
Posted 11 January 2011 00:27

Supreme Being

Yes Wolverine, that's how I take it. About military life. It sounds like it is about him from the beginning...don't I know it, nobody has to say...I've been lucky guess I was born that way. He has been born into a good life and he is grateful for it but also bashed for it which is so sad. Thanking his father because he became strong in his absence. And loving his mother but she had troubles with God. Those lines get me every time. He really does express himself through his music like a diary.

Oh I hate to think that he won't have a long life. Are you referring to his fast life that he leads leading him to that? Let's hope not. I hope his excesses aren't as bad as we think they are or they sound. I want him to have a long and happy life..making music forever. Sappy but true.

I swear this boards hates me!! I've been trying for about 15 minutes to post and it won't let me!! WTH? Grrrr!!

Post #162270
Posted 11 January 2011 00:30

Supreme Being

I have been passionate about music most of my life, and no other music has affected me like his. Don't think I have ever cried listening to someone elses music except at funerals.

James believes he needs to put out cheerful songs to please the masses, and I used to think this, but my opinions have changed. there is so much beauty in his sad songs, so much real emotion, that it makes the jolly songs appear shallow.

Of course we all need a pick me up, cheerful music to listen to at some time in the day, but when we want to be moved emotionally, to have our deeper spirits awakened, to have the need for relection and self awareness, to have our brain cells activated, causing us to think more deeply about the state of the world, love and death, then James Blunt is the master.

Just read your post hooked.

I worried about his lyrics, not only this song, but 'If Time is All I have' is another that hints of him nearing death. I hope James is in good health, he looks fit, he may be thinking about death, and the road to it, and I think most of us begin to think about death as we get older. Life is a journey towards death.
Post #162272
Posted 11 January 2011 00:36

Supreme Being

Yes Tracy, I do think it could be about the war zone and also it could be about a random person that has died and people are grieving them but the verse I posted does make me think of people in the military. Yes he did go home and I think there must be many ex-soldiers who have that guilt that they got out when their fellow soldiers did not and that has to weigh heavily on the ones who went home.

And the tears should be for the families and friends of the fallen soldiers.
Post #162276
Posted 11 January 2011 00:53

Supreme Being

TraceyUk (11/01/2011)
I have been passionate about music most of my life, and no other music has affected me like his. Don't think I have ever cried listening to someone elses music except at funerals.

James believes he needs to put out cheerful songs to please the masses, and I used to think this, but my opinions have changed. there is so much beauty in his sad songs, so much real emotion, that it makes the jolly songs appear shallow.

Of course we all need a pick me up, cheerful music to listen to at some time in the day, but when we want to be moved emotionally, to have our deeper spirits awakened, to have the need for relection and self awareness, to have our brain cells activated, causing us to think more deeply about the state of the world, love and death, then James Blunt is the master.

Just read your post hooked.

I worried about his lyrics, not only this song, but 'If Time is All I have' is another that hints of him nearing death. I hope James is in good health, he looks fit, he may be thinking about death, and the road to it, and I think most of us begin to think about death as we get older. Life is a journey towards death.

Me too Tracy, for as long as I can remember I have been very passionate about music. I grew up in a very musical household and fell in love with music very early. Not from my parents really, though they did play music on the stereo, but I have three older brothers who adored the Beatles and many other groups and played music constantly and not very quietly either. My oldest bro had a band for quite a while and my friends and I were his groupies. lol So I guess I got a start with that pretty young. Their band also played in our basement for my high school grad party and I felt like the luckiest person in the world to have that. My brothers all played musical instruments and my bro's band practiced in our basement, etc. There was always music in the house and I started seeing groups when I was I believe about 14 and I will never stop loving music and live music is the ultimate high.

Anyway that was a bit of history in a nut shell. We all do interpret music differently as mentioned and to me If Time Is All I Have doesn't speak to me at all of James being ill. It tells me that if all he had left in the world is time...that he would spend everything he had, which is time, on the person that he loved. He would give them everything he had in other words because he cared for them so much. That there was nothing more important in his life to spend (or waste as he says) his time on.

It took me a little while to fully appreciate this song but now...it's just beautiful.

Yes, I think James is amazingly talented and I also do love his lively songs as I like variety. I love feeling lost in a sad song and figuring it all out and I love to just let go and have fun in a faster song. I wouldn't like every single song to be sad. I need a balance. I love that about this album so much.
Post #162284
Posted 11 January 2011 00:59

Supreme Being

hookedonJames (11/01/2011)

Oh I hate to think that he won't have a long life. Are you referring to his fast life that he leads leading him to that? Let's hope not. I hope his excesses aren't as bad as we think they are or they sound. I want him to have a long and happy life..making music forever. Sappy but true.

I'm sorry hooked, I didn't mean to upset you.  It's just a feeling I have, that he is destined to be the candle that burns twice as brightly as others, hence not for so long.  It's not anything to do with his excesses...although he does seem to have a love of dangerous sports.  Perhaps this is just my fear for his wellbeing, expressing itself in an odd way.

W'fan
Post #162286
Posted 11 January 2011 01:14

Supreme Being

Wolverinefan (11/01/2011)
[quote][b]
I'm sorry hooked, I didn't mean to upset you. It's just a feeling I have, that he is destined to be the candle that burns twice as brightly as others, hence not for so long. It's not anything to do with his excesses...although he does seem to have a love of dangerous sports. Perhaps this is just my fear for his wellbeing, expressing itself in an odd way.

It's okay, Wolverine. I think it's good we feel free here to say what we want to say. That's always a good thing to me. I think maybe you might feel that way because it could be a fear that his lifestyle to you (subconsciously) might have you thinking that he will not live long as many other musicians that have led a fast and dangerous life have not lived long because of drugs or whatever. You know, die young and leave a beautiful corpse or however the saying goes.

I think James is very bright and I think though he could be troubled I think he does enjoy life and wants to live a long time so he can figure it all out. He has lived through horrific things already and a music career surely shouldn't be what shortens his life though it surely has happened before. That's how I like to think about it anyway. When we enjoy or cherish something as we do James' music and such I think it's normal to have a fear of it being taken away as we don't want to imagine our lives without it.
Post #162293
Posted 11 January 2011 03:28

Supreme Being

hookedonJames (11/01/2011)
When we enjoy or cherish something as we do James' music and such I think it's normal to have a fear of it being taken away as we don't want to imagine our lives without it.

Hooked, that's exactly how I feel, so you're probably right.  James is so talented and charismatic, in a very unassuming way, that I've become a total Bluntaholic!  It could be worse...my father's an alcoholic, so maybe it's a good thing my addictive personality has turned to something relatively harmless (but just as potent in its own way).

W'fan
Post #162302
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

««12345»»»

All times are GMT, Time now is 2:42am